Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Question for the audiophiles out there... (Read 4793 times) previous topic - next topic

Question for the audiophiles out there...

Simple question, what is your god honest anwser to what sounds best with vorbis.

What is the best size to quality ratio on vorbis? 128? 160? what range should i use?
\"You broke it!\"

Reply #1
Don't use bitrate settings use the Quality settings.  I use --q4.75 which I think is pretty good.  I have here people talk about a range form 3 to 6 for average

Reply #2
I use 4.99 as a quality index. I read using 5 boost the bitrate too much for the increase of 0.01.
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

Reply #3
nice to know there is a few familiar faces here  sawg
\"You broke it!\"

Reply #4
Well it's quite simple - the higher the quality level, the better the encoded music will sound

Beyond that, it's up to you. What bitrates do you normally use when you encode MP3s? The default quality (3), will produce around 112kpbs files, that sound on a par with most 128kpbs MP3 files you'll find. Quality 4 is around 128kpbs, and quality 5 around 160kpbs.

Slightly complicating the matter is that you can choose non integer quality levels as well. These are intended to increase the bitrate smoothly, and mostly works very well. The exception is a large jump between quality 4.99 and quality 5 -- several setting get turned on at quality 5 and upwards which increase the bitrate usage.

Myself, I'm using quality 5.1, which is a nominal bitrate of 163kpbs.

Reply #5
Yeah, I've also noticed that 5 is a big jump in quality over 4.99... perhaps deserving of the increase in bitrate.  On some of my ogg problem clips, I have a much easier time ABXing at 4.99 than I do at 5.0 (although I can still do it at 5.0, I just need to pay a lot more attention). 
People have different thresholds of what's annoying... the best advice is to test some clips for yourself and see where you stop noticeing a difference, or at least stop being annoyed.
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

Reply #6
Originally posted by timcupery
Yeah, I've also noticed that 5 is a big jump in quality over 4.99... perhaps deserving of the increase in bitrate.  On some of my ogg problem clips, I have a much easier time ABXing at 4.99 than I do at 5.0 (although I can still do it at 5.0, I just need to pay a lot more attention). 
People have different thresholds of what's annoying... the best advice is to test some clips for yourself and see where you stop noticeing a difference, or at least stop being annoyed.

Hi tim, have you ever tried to see if you can ABX between the lossy and lossless stereo versions of -q 5.0 ?

Reply #7
Originally posted by tangent

Hi tim, have you ever tried to see if you can ABX between the lossy and lossless stereo versions of -q 5.0 ?

I haven't tried the altered version of oggdrop, so I don't know.
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320