Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_vis_shpeck (Read 726586 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #225
I've tried following the instructions (vague, scattered and poorly written as they are) but I can't figure out how to get it working. What have I missed?

I downloaded spheck, put it in the foobar2000 folder. Do I need to download some custom ui panel? Please just tell me already >_>

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #226
Thanks for suggestions. I hope someone will write accurate, thorough and clear instructions soon.

I think you have missed that Shpeck is only an emulation layer allowing Winamp visualisation plugins to run in foobar2000. That means you must have Winamp (or at least some third-party Winamp visualisation plugin) installed for it to do anything useful.

No custom UI panel is needed, as far as I know.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #227
Hello--

Thank you for this plugin; It's been a long time coming since baconwrap died.

I have 3 requests (from easiest to more difficult):
  • Make the text box bigger for the title format string in the configuration (current track and playlist entries)
  • Kill the IPARAM errors that I get in the console when Evillyrics is open--the maintainer of the Winamp API emulator managed to do this in 0.96 of his plugin.
  • Lastly, a way around the warning that pops up because we are running foo_winamp_spam?

Apologies if these've been asked before; I tried to read the titles of every message in this thread to see if someone was leading up to this.

Thank you for your consideration.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #229
* Make the text box bigger for the title format string in the configuration (current track and playlist entries)
The majority of users don't care about title formatting strings (the playlist one was flawed for half a year and nobody noticed). I won't change that just because some exceptional users need exceptionally long formatting strings. You can always prepare the string e.g. in Notepad and copy it in afterwards.
Edit:[/u] Blah, blah, blah, ... Of course this brilliant advice is not usable when you can't write more characters than fits into that small window. But the hope is near, see below.[/size]

* Kill the IPARAM errors that I get in the console when Evillyrics is open--the maintainer of the Winamp API emulator managed to do this in 0.96 of his plugin.
I installed Evil Lyrics to investigate this problem and, surprisingly, it's problem on Evil Lyrics side - they send random commands to the alleged Winamp window hundred times per second only to test whether it's a real Winamp window or some emulator - a method which fails anyway. And this is not the only one sloppy technique used by that evil application.
Not a bug, won't be fixed.

* Lastly, a way around the warning that pops up because we are running foo_winamp_spam?
A classic mistake, I thought the warning was self-explaining. Just for reference:
Original Winamp or some other Winamp emulator has been detected. This can result in wrongly reported data, nonfunctional plugins and other conflicts, be warned.
I think this has already been explained before, but since people read only post titles nowadays, here we go again.
Almost all 3rd party programs trying to communicate with Winamp search for a window of class (type) "Winamp1.x" and use the first one they find for sending various commands. If more than one Winamps or Winamp emulators are running, several such windows exist and the resulting behavior is random.
This is a limitation of original Winamp's design and it therefore does not make sense to run more than one Winamp emulator on one system. I have implemented as much standard commands as possible, so that Shpeck can fully substitute any of the other Winamp emulators, even when no visualisation is actually running.
For that matter, if you were buggered with that "Unknown WM_WA_IPC message" errors, it means that it was Shpeck what had been found by the other program and no messages actually reached foo_winamp_spam anymore.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #230
The majority of users don't care about title formatting strings (the playlist one was flawed for half a year and nobody noticed). I won't change that just because some exceptional users need exceptionally long formatting strings. You can always prepare the string e.g. in Notepad and copy it in afterwards.

Can't you just enable the autoscroll attribute on the textbox? Sure would be useful as my playlist string doesn't fit at the moment, due to it having some conditional statements.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #231
Yeah, sure, thanks explaining than in simple terms I can finally understand :)
I was under false impression this had always been enabled there, see my useless comments in the previous post...

Anyway, I have secretly updated both the plain DLL and ZIPed downloads at the usual locations as noted in the first post (be496e716213c69206799f999ddcf6a4 *foo_vis_shpeck.dll). Nothing else than those two bits in dialog template has changed and I didn't want to bother with disabling experimental code, rebuilding, proclaiming a new version, etc.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #232
Thanks Yirkha for the response, and the amazingly fast update to the plugin, really appreciated.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #233
Not sure if it's just me, but the latest update seems to be knocking the first character off my now playing string, i.e.

BlackAle is now playing: ooka Shade - Solo City | from: The Sun & The Neon Light [Limited Edition] (Disc 1) (2008)

Should be Booka

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #234
I didn't do anything else, I swear. Post your titleformatting string and in what application is it displayed clipped.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #235
Code: [Select]
%artist% - %title%' | from: '%album%' ('%date%')' $if($or($strcmp($left(%path%,4),'Y:\u'),$strcmp($left(%path%,4),'X:\u')),,' *NOT Über*')

It's doing it in DC++ though in mIRC it works fine, I'm confused!

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #236
If that depends on what program is asking, you know where the problem is, don't you.

Anyway, I don't know which DC++ breed you are using, but I looked in the latest StrongDC++ source code and there is this unfortunate line:
title = title.substr(title.find(_T('.')) + 2, title.size());
I'd almost say that find('.') returns -1 because there are no dots in the string, -1 + 2 == 1, and the first character is happily eaten, but who am I to cast judgements.[/size]

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #237
Found a solution anyways, added $char(32) to the beginning of my now playing string, DC++ chops it off, mIRC automatically removes leading spaces.

I guess foo_winamp_spam does something similar.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #238
Yirkha when I look through this side of the topic I must say that you  really  have the patience of a saint. I understand that a third party plugin develloper is not so easy.
Thanks for you explanations

I have one question. I am using the latest version. You can show the playlist in the Shpeck window and also move through the playlist.  Is it possible to select a new song to play for?
I tried but it don't worked. I am not shure if there is a way. So I am asking here. Is there a wiki or a read me for your plugin?

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #239
You can show the playlist in the Shpeck window and also move through the playlist.  Is it possible to select a new song to play for?
First, just to clarify, everything you see inside the window is drawn only by the original plugin - if it asks for playlist entries to show, Shpeck happily sends them back. I've seen this work in (both versions of) MilkDrop only, and playlist is activated there when you press the "P" key.
As for starting playback of the selected track, "ENTER" usually does that. The catch here is that it seems to work only when "Playback Follows Cursor" mode is enabled. I looked at the relevant parts of the code and it's probably all rooted in the Winamp's legacy again. No direct command like "start playback from item #123" exists, so plugins do it using a combo: IPC_SETPLAYLISTPOS with the index, then common IPC_STARTPLAY. Naturally, if you don't have the "Playback Follows Cursor" mode enabled, merely changing the focused item doesn't change the real next track in any way and the current one is simply restarted from the beginning.

Is there a wiki or a read me for your plugin?
There is a README included in the ZIP distribution (kindly donated by deus-ex with a few changes by mine), there is a HA wiki page with some other information (available also by pressing the Help button on Shpeck's preferences page), there is this long topic full of repetitive blathering... But none of these sources would give you any hint about the question you have asked anyway, so you can safely ignore them all as everybody else.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #240
As a user running on a Win2k Machine and that 9.5 doesn't support that OS anymore I would like to repeat the question from another user one page earlier. Is there some place where a 9.4 Version is archieved?

I don't want to argue with the decission of offering only builds for the latest version of Foo and only supporting those in regards of questions/problems here, wich is totally understood - but OS... well, there are some wich simply can't follow up with the development and some place for unsupported versions wouldn't hurt that much, or ? (as an example: Like Foo7 and 8 can still be downloaded on the really really rares side - wich is of great use for us wich also have 98SE machines)

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #241
Yirkha,

Thank you for your time and detailed explanation--many apologies that some of my suggestions were not more well formed.

[...]
Edit:[/u] Blah, blah, blah, ... Of course this brilliant advice is not usable when you can't write more characters than fits into that small window. But the hope is near, see below.[/size]
[...]

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #242
As a user running on a Win2k Machine and that 9.5 doesn't support that OS anymore I would like to repeat the question from another user one page earlier. Is there some place where a 9.4 Version is archieved?
No, there is no place where obsolete versions are archived. It seems all the users running old applications on old operating systems hate each other and won't provide anything like that for the others.

Nevertheless, I have found some older version of Shpeck on my computer at work today. I don't know if it's the publicly released v0.2.4 beta 2 or some internal build I was testing there before or after the release, however here it is: yirkha.fud.cz/progs/foobar2000/foo_vis_shpeck-0.2.4b2-outdated-buggy-please-do-not-download.dll
(I'm not sure if just making the link unclickable will stop idiots from downloading what they don't want to download, but why not give it a try.)

I sincerely hope this will put an end to this kind of requests, please do not ask anymore, thanks.

(Slightly edited to relieve the hostility in pugnacious hearts of some members.)

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #243
Yirkha: :up: & :thanks:

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #244
fyi to anyone having issues...when i first installed this i actually got an error saying it wasn't configured correctly (as opposed to it just doing nothing and not appearing).  this in fact was just the fact that i didn't have the C++ redist installed.

thanks for the great plugin.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #245
Great Plugin! Two quick questions though:

1) In the configuration for milkdrop2.0d, it doesn't recognize my graphics card and the list is blank. Milkdrop works though so maybe this isn't a problem? (I saw someone earlier posted with this issue but i didn't see a solution....)

2) I can't change any of the milkdrop settings (such as framerate and resolution.) I can go into the configure button and change them, but when I hit OK it doesn't take effect (meaning if I go straight back into configure it is like i changed nothing). Is this a known issue? Is there any way to fix it?

Thanks very much.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #246
I'm sorry, I don't know if that other person asking earlier wasn't able to find a solution, or he did but won't tell you the solution because he hates you again. Anyway, I wasted time trying to find something for you instead, here we go.

From the official MilkDrop 2 documentation (yeah, who would look there...):
6. Known Issues / Misc. / Tips:
-------------------------------
    c. Windows Vista / Winamp with per-user settings
        Be aware that if you're running Vista as a non-admin user,
        you can't write to (or delete from) files in the Program Files
        directory, which is were MilkDrop 2 is installed.  So, anything
        you try to write or save (like milkdrop's settings file, milk2.ini;
        or presets) will probably end up deep in some user-specific,
        virtualized "Program Files" directory somewhere on your hard
        drive.  Yell at Microsoft for this one!

Also, if you installed Winamp with per-user settings (instead of
        shared settings) - on any OS, not just Vista - be aware that your
        .INI files (milk2.ini, milk2_img.ini, milk2_cfg.ini) are all
        stored in a folder like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Winamp\Plugins        

(Note that 'Application Data' is a hidden folder.)  However,
        presets, textures, and things like that are all shared between
        users, in the real [c:\Program Files]\winamp\plugins\milkdrop2 folder.
        If you want to keep your presets separate, you can still do that,
        though - just put them in a personal folder, and then seek to it
        from within MilkDrop.  If you're using per-user settings in Winamp,
        it will remember which folder you last used.

As you can see, there are a lot of information of dubious relevance to Shpeck, however the directory in question is always the folder you set on its Preferences page - either as it is, or with \Plugins\ added. And when I tried MD2 with that folder being write-protected, or just the "milk2.ini" or temporarily generated "milk2_adapters.txt" in it, weird things happened (like no graphics adapters were enumerated, or no settings could be saved, obviously).

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #247
So good call on reading the milkdrop manual. The problem was the crappy UAC (user account control). Even though I'm an admin account I still had to turn it off to be able to save settings. And it also allowed it to recognize my graphics card. The good news is that once your settings are saved you can turn UAC back on if you want and the settings will remain. So if anyone else has vista and has seen these problems, this is probably your solution.

Thanks again Yirkha.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #248
So I guess I found out about this plugin just a bit late...I just installed it (had to install the vsredist and copy the dlls and whatnot), but milkdrop fails to start (I try to activate it and it says "The plugin crashed during initialization.")
The "tiny fullscreen" visualizations work fine, it's just milkdrop.  Looking at the version number of milkdrop, I seem to have 2.0e, not 2.0d...anyone else tried the latest version of milkdrop to see if it works?

Thanks!

Edit: So I managed to get a hold of 2.0d and it works fine.  Something has definitely changed with 2.0e that's stopping shpeck from loading neither the config nor the visualization itself...

Edit 2: I've held onto the 2.0e dll if you'd like me to test a new version of shpeck...this is something that should probably be fixed ^^

Edit 3: Also, is there any chance of adding a pre-amp to the data that the visualizations receive?  I play my music with replaygain activated, and unless I'm imagining things, the outputted, reduced volume is reflected in the visualization, not the original volume of the file, which results in somewhat less dynamic effects and whatnot.  A way to counteract this would be nice--whether it means a configurable pre-amp in the visualization settings or an option to place the shpeck above replaygain in the order of plugins (if that's possible).
Thanks!

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #249
I can't download it!Server is down!!!

Please upload in another host! Mediafire or Rapid???