Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ISO AAC encoder (Read 6487 times) previous topic - next topic

ISO AAC encoder

hi,
Has anyone here ever tried ISO AAC encoder? How do you like the quality of LC@128kbps?
I used to think its high complexity of computing would to some extent guarantee an average quality but it turns out to be quite poor (faraway behind) against other commercial ones, e.g. NERO.
Is this true? I am not sure whether I have made mistakes in building ISO binary. Anyone understand how that huge gap comes up?

Thanks.

ISO AAC encoder

Reply #1
The ISO encoder is only built to demonstrate how to produce ISO-compliant output. This says nothing about quality, speed or efficiency. It probably uses a very basic psymodel and its various parameters have not been tuned by listening tests.

ISO AAC encoder

Reply #2
Thanks. I am very curious in an optimum psy model implementation. Is there any quality optimized psy model? Any reference code, implementation or paper? I know that NERO is a leading product in this field but it is not open source product.

The ISO encoder is only built to demonstrate how to produce ISO-compliant output. This says nothing about quality, speed or efficiency. It probably uses a very basic psymodel and its various parameters have not been tuned by listening tests.

ISO AAC encoder

Reply #3
Thanks. I am very curious in an optimum psy model implementation. Is there any quality optimized psy model? Any reference code, implementation or paper? I know that NERO is a leading product in this field but it is not open source product.

An LGPL AAC Encoder is being worked on as part of the Google Summer of Code for the FFmpeg project. It is already functional and its author is now working on psychoacoustic models.
superdumprob

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" - Albert Einstein