Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Album Art Downloader XUI (Read 2023489 times) previous topic - next topic

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2200
I recently decided to give up on managing my audio books separately and just merged them into my main library.

So now when I try and find missing cover art it wants to include those. None of the sources available seem to have cover art (I thought at least Amazon might have some). Does anyone know of any good sources for square (or close) audio book cover art? Even better, does anyone have an actual boo script that will search that source?

Thanks!

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2201
[font= "Verdana"]Hello, Alex,
I've been using AAD a lot lately (with great results, I might add) and, so far, the only feature I keep wishing that the program had is more than 2 "waves" of search (and perhaps a bigger "timeout" for both searches and thumbnail/images responses, but this isn't as important).

I believe most of us (or perhaps almost all of us) love and use regularly the "Search first" feature available for all sources, to separate the most useful ones from the "not-so-useful-ones"; the only problem is that time and time again it has proven a bit "too little" for many types of use and left us wishing for more "waves", e.g. "Search first", then "Search Second", then "Search Third", etc.

- A very simple problem for people with low bandwidth and/or only wishing to "review" previously downloaded covers (for quality purposes, maybe - only re-download if the quality of the cover isn't good enough): if you want to check "Local files" and ONLY Local files BEFORE checking any other online sources, you immediately "loose" the "Search first" feature because all other sources will be forced to be grouped together.

- Another typical "problem" is quite easily seen with the various Amazon Stores: The occurrence (or absence) of certain albums doesn't vary too much between each country store, and when the album is found in one, it usually yelds the exact same result from most of the other stores (appart from customer images); In this case, the "Search first" scheme is extremely helpful, giving a "priority system" to one (or a few) store(s) more likely to have most albums (like .com .co.uk and .ca); the problem is that sometimes (and it's not so rare as we would like it to be), the album is not found on the "Search first" stores, and a "fallback order" that could be applied to the other stores would be most helpful, instead of having to search "all of them at once" in the "Extend search"; In this case, at least 3 or even as far as 7 "waves" could possibly be applied.

- But perhaps the most "annoying" problem we usually face is having to "tick on and off, on and off, on and off again" any extra sources we might want to include for albums that aren't that popular (and therefore don't get many results from most of the "Search first" or the "Extend search" selected sources); The "ideal solution" would be, without a doubt, having those "waves" of search: instead of marking (or unmarking) "Search first" for each source, we could have instead a "Search: 1st" and 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc on a dropbox as a choice. So, with each click of the "Extend Search" button, we would "unleash" a deeper "wave" of search. Optionally, we could have an indication of this in the button text, e.g. "Extend Search (3)" to unleash the 4th wave. In my opinion, I can't see anyone wanting to use more than 9 "waves" for instance (a single-digit option would suffice).

Yes, I do realize most of AAD users will never need to use more than 2 waves of search (as it is now), but that absolutely doesn't mean that there isn't a great number of users that WILL benefit from it (and, of course, nothing changes for the ones that don't need more than 2 waves). I also realize that implementing it might not be as easy as it sounds, and all I'm asking is for this idea (or something similar to it) to maybe be considered for a future version.

instead of this --> ... this -->
[/font]

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2202
Here's a script for searching Amazon.com audiobooks: amazon-audiobooks-com.boo, please give it a go and let me know if you have any trouble with it.

Thanks for your detailed post and suggestion, particularly the UI mockup to make it clear what you mean. I don't agree that it has no impact on normal users though, as I think it would be more than a little confusing to see a list of numbers like that, and Search First is already a confusing feature! If I was going to do anything to address this, it would have to be more visual, perhaps with dragging and dropping sources into orders, and opening up gaps in the order or inserting special boundary items or something to delineate waves. At least that way if you decided something ought to go between 2 and 3 you don't have to re-order 3 through 9 to fit it in! To be honest, I don't really want to go down this route though, I'm not going to work hard on supporting the case of using large numbers of scripts, and don't want to encourage it.

The Amazon stores illustrate the issue perfectly - the idea was that you would choose the amazon country that you use, and install that one, or else just use amazon.com. There's no point in installing all of them, as they have massive amounts of overlap (as you noticed).

What I have thought might be useful would be named lists of sources enabled, so if you had a very disparate collection you might want to check a few sources and name that as "Metal", then uncheck those and check some others and name that as "Jazz", then when it comes time to search you could pick from a previously saved list in a dropdown above the sources list. I'm not yet convinced whether it would really be useful or not, whether the hypothetical user would instead rather have both Jazz and Metal sources all selected all the time and not have to choose between them before searching.

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2203
Request option:  show cover file size (not resolution) in main window.

Sometimes, it’s not easy to choose what cover to save as main, because very often they have one resolution, but different sizes. So now I save them all, then go to folder and manual rename the most “quality” as “first” cover, which will be used by fb2k.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2204
Request option:  show cover file size

This is already in the feature request tracker: 2890572. The main problem is that the file size is not known until the full size image has already been downloaded, so it's of limited usefulness.

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2205
I don't think that's really a problem.  I don't need the size of every cover, but once the  full  cover was downloaded, it would be really good if the size info was available.
Cover dimensions are also not immediately available at every source.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2206
I don't need the size of every cover, but once the  full  cover was downloaded, it would be really good if the size info was available.

Fully agree. I think the best solution will be to add size if it available near resolution. Look at my mockup:

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2207

Hmm... I could just add it as an extra bit of text tagged onto the end the Size field when known, rather than adding a whole new field (which would then need to be sortable and filterable, and probably need to be able to be included in the filename). That would certainly be simpler to do, and might be helpful.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2208
The GoogleImage script shows a complete <cite title=" tag instead of just the host name.
A possible fix:
line 22: title = System.Web.HttpUtility.HtmlDecode(/<[^>]+>/.Replace(imageMatch.Groups["title"].Value, ""))

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2209
The problem is that file size isn't a good indicator of quality either.  Particularly with JPEG compression, an image with a lot of noise or a moiré pattern left over from a poor scan will end up being much larger than an image that's had some post-processing done to it.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2210
The problem is that file size isn't a good indicator of quality either.

What problem, just don't see at size  As I understand, it will be just info, without ability to sort by this field. Main reason, witch motivate me to request this feature, have ability to quick choose best cover between different online music stores. Very often, they have one resolution, but different compression, witch can be seen either by zoom or by file size. The second one, has more usability for my mind.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2211
The GoogleImage script shows a complete <cite title=" tag instead of just the host name.
Thanks for letting me know, I've fixed it up now.

The problem is that file size isn't a good indicator of quality either.
Personally, I agree. But I think it won't do any harm to show it next to the pixel size, and some people do seem to want it.

New version out very shortly, I'm just doing the release process.

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2212
Version 0.45
This version adds a display for the file size of images. It's shown next to the pixel size in the Image Size field, but is only available once the full sized image has been downloaded. The sources list is now sorted alphabetically, including the categories. I apologise if this means that it's changed from what you are used to, but I thought it better to give it a sensible category order anyway.

I've also added another requested feature, which is if you click on one of the sources in the list after performing a search, it will jump to any results that have come from that source, and highlight them.

Scripts have been brought up to date, and some have been removed that can't be made to work: CD Universe, GigaCrate, and Yes24. I'd recommend you delete those from your scripts folder, if you have them.

Download:
AlbumArtDownloaderXUI.exe (Installer. Recommended)
AlbumArtDownloaderXUI.zip (zip archive for those who don't like installers)
.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (required, except for Windows 7)Donations

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2213
Very often, they have one resolution, but different compression, witch can be seen either by zoom or by file size. The second one, has more usability for my mind.

That's my point.  A bigger file might be saved at a higher quality level, or it might just be a bad image that doesn't compress well.  You can't tell without looking.

Either way, the developer's already found a way to add the info in, which is pretty cool of him.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2214
Is there a reason why it wants to install to this folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\PerfectTUNES\

and not here:

C:\Program Files\AlbumArtDownloader

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2215
Is there a reason why it wants to install to [perfect tunes folder]

Well, my guess would be that you've previously installed a product called PerfectTUNES, by Illustrate, and that that registered a file called AlbumArt.exe in the window registry (at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\AlbumArt.exe). The installer uses that registry key to set the install folder, so if you are doing an upgrade, it installs in the same place.

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2216
Is there a reason why it wants to install to this folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\PerfectTUNES\

and not here:

C:\Program Files\AlbumArtDownloader
Is AlbumArtDownloader a 64-bit app?  Only 64-bit apps (at least on 64bit Windows 7) go in "Program Files"

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2217
Album Art Downloader is a .net program, it's installed in Program Files on my computer too.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2218
Up till now I've almost always used AAD to fill in missing artwork. Today I used it to try and find upgraded art to replace some small crappy stuff I have.

The process led to a few requests/observations.

1. (The only "bad" thing) I don't think Local should allow Saving, only Saving As. When you right click to save AAD complains about an existing file and prompts you to save as Folder (2).jpg even though the existing file is the file you are saving.

2. It would be nice if you could pin the Local file to the top of the list (maybe even change the color of the background to better indicate it is a local result). I know you can see the source when you hover over it but a nice visual representation would be cool.

3. It would be nice if #2 could happen even if the file doesn't match the minimum size. Using 800 as a minimum I found something but I can see by comparison that it is a blurry crappy probably resized image compared to this nice crisp 700x700 I already have. Conversely this 800x800 is WAY better than the 200x200 I have for this other album.

4. It would also be cool if in addition to the minimum size there was a "Decrease Minimum by X If No Results" option. Blank would behave the same as it does but if I set the decrease to 100 and I'm looking for 800x800 AAD would ratchet down to 700x700 if no 800x800 is found. (Even better if AAD could keep going... so next try 600x600, then 500x500, then 400x400, etc)

These are really minor things that I would love to see... but only because I'm lazy.

Thanks for making a great thing!

Matt

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2219
since I upgraded to 0.45 I get compile errors on launch, and there is only retry and exit option which means I cant start album art downloader!

earching for scripts...
Found 69 files: [45cat.boo, 7digital.boo, albumartexchange.boo, allcdcover.boo, amazon-audiobooks-com.boo, amazon-ca.boo, amazon-co-uk.boo, amazon-com.boo, amazon-common.boo, amazon-de.boo, amazon-fr.boo, amazon-it.boo, amazon-jp.boo, amazon-mp3-com.boo, archambault.boo, arkivmusic.boo, audiopreservationfund.boo, beatport.boo, buy-com.boo, cdbaby.boo, cduniverse.boo, chartstats.boo, cover-paradies.boo, coveralia.boo, coverisland.boo, coverlandia-official.boo, coverlandia.boo, darktown.boo, deejay.boo, deezer.boo, discogs.boo, djshop.boo, ebreggae.boo, eclassical.boo, emusic.boo, esenshop.boo, freecovers-api.boo, gigacrate.boo, google.boo, hitparade.boo, hmv-canada.boo, ioda.boo, itunes-google.boo, itunes.boo, juno-records.boo, kalahari.boo, lala.boo, lastfm-artist.boo, lastfm-cover.boo, maniadb.boo, medianet.boo, megamedia.boo, metal-archives.boo, metallibrary.boo, miomusik.boo, musicmight.boo, nuclearblast.boo, psyshop.boo, qobuz.boo, revhq.boo, sfr-music.boo, soundstation.boo, take2.boo, theorchard.boo, util.boo, vgmdb.boo, wantitall.boo, yes24.boo, yesasia.boo]...
Loading references: [System.Web.Extensions, System.Web.Extensions, System.Web.Extensions, System.Web.Extensions, System.Web.Extensions, System.Web.Extensions, System.Web]...
Compiling scripts...
theorchard.boo(6,7): error BCE0132: The namespace '' already contains a definition for 'Ioda'.

never mind.. removed it and reinstalled. works now

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2220

Thank you for your suggestions. For number 2, what you can do is use the Group By drop down and choose "Local". That will show the local results in one group at the top of the list, and online results in a group below that. If there's a specific result you want to compare against all the others, then right click on it and choose Preview. That will open another window for that result that you can resize and move around so it is always available for comparing against.

With the sizes, what I'd suggest would be to use the minimum size filter as a stop on the minimum acceptable size, that if it was smaller than that, you simply wouldn't want even if there were no other results. Then use the Sort by drop down to choose Size, and you can easily see the largest size available.

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2221
Alex, the Discogs script stopped working recently. It appears that they have overhauled their web search interface, so the script probably needs significant changes to work. Not an urgent priority for me because Discogs is a secondary source for cover art, but would be nice to have this script fixed.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2223
Hi,

AAD is invaluable - thank you very much!

One feature request:

When local files are visible, how about an option to delete them? (rt-click or?)
It would be very useful when one is updating images to be able to remove some old ones without having to navigate to the local folder.

cheers,

.Mike

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #2224
since I upgraded to 0.45 I get compile errors on launch, and there is only retry and exit option which means I cant start album art downloader!

<snip> Compiling scripts...
theorchard.boo(6,7): error BCE0132: The namespace '' already contains a definition for 'Ioda'.

never mind.. removed it and reinstalled. works now

I had the same problem, I just edited the 'theorchard.boo' script and renamed Ioda to the Orchard and then it compiled fine.

Code: [Select]
import System
import System.Text.RegularExpressions
import AlbumArtDownloader.Scripts
import util

class Orchard AlbumArtDownloader.Scripts.IScript, ICategorised):