Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stadium Arcadium (Read 42230 times) previous topic - next topic

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stadium Arcadium

Reply #25
Sorry to hijack but are there any Mars Volta fans here?  They're touring with RHCP this fall.  Also I hope that Vlado Meller guy doesn't touch TMV's new album they're working on with some RHCP members.

I don't think Meller mastered the 2nd Mars Volta album, but he did the first cos it was a Rick Rubin production.

Reply #26
Comparison of LP and CD of the song Stadium Arcadium

It's nice to finally hear the song get progressively louder - as intended.

Stadium Arcadium from LP

Stadium Arcadium from CD

Reply #27
Many people are dissapointed with the sound quality of the last three RHCP albums on CD.  In this thread I have provided some MP3s that compare the CD version of Stadium Arcadium, with the the same excerpts taken from the vinyl LP version.

The transfer from LP to digital was performed with a good turntable, and a professional CD recorder. I have WaveGained the files so they are roughly the same loudness (generally we perceive louder sounds to be of higher quality, hence it is only fair to ensure both samples are close to the same loudness when comparing them). However, this means the MP3 samples will be a lot lower in volume that listening to the CDs directly. If you want to compare the samples at the regular CD loudness, turn up your volume control!.

I encoded the files from WAV to MP3 using LAME 3.97, with the setting " -V5 --vbr-new "

REMEMBER: The samples feature 45 seconds from the CD, 5 seconds of silence, then the same 45 seconds from a digital transfer of the vinyl LPs.

1.) DANI CALIFORNIA
2.) SNOW (HEY OH)
3.) CHARLIE
4.) STADIUM ARCADIUM
5.) HUMP DE BUMP
6.) SHE'S ONLY 18
7.) SLOW CHEETAH
8.) TORTURE ME
9.) STRIP MY MIND
10.) ESPECIALLY IN MICHIGAN
11.) WARLOCKS
12.) C'MON GIRL
13.) WET SAND
14.) HEY
15.) DESECRATION SMILE
16.) TELL ME BABY
17.) HARD TO CONCENTRATE
18.) 21ST CENTURY
19.) SHE LOOKS TO ME
20.) READYMADE
21.) IF
22.) MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER
23.) ANIMAL BAR
24.) SO MUCH I
25.) STORM IN A TEACUP
26.) WE BELIEVE
27.) TURN IT AGAIN
28.) DEATH OF A MARTIAN

I encourage EVERYONE who is interested in hearing Stadium Arcadium at its best to buy an LP version! Doing this will show Warner Bros. that we care about the sound quality of RHCP's albums, and are dissapointed with the poor quality of the CDs. We are effectively being ripped off, personally, that annoys me!

The vinyl can be transfered to CD if that is more convenient, but it will mean you get to hear the album in the best quality possible.

The vinyl can be bought from several online stores:

AcousticSounds 150 gram180 gram
ElusiveDisc 150 gram180 gram
Amazon (U.K) 150 gram
And of course: eBay

Reply #28
How about if someone with a high quality LP to CD transfer sold the copies on ebay with genuine copies of the CD with it?

Reply #29
I saw an LP transfer on a private BT tracker around the time Stadium Aracadium came out. I didn't download it myself, but people said it was better than the CD version.

But really, I'd rather see someone do a needle drop on Californication. Please oh please someone with expensive equipment.

Reply #30
sorry for the ignorance, but why does something like this happen on a particular album, but not on another? the Chili Peppers are on of my favorite bands and I hate to think I'm not hearing them the best I possibly can.

Reply #31
sorry for the ignorance, but why does something like this happen on a particular album, but not on another? the Chili Peppers are on of my favorite bands and I hate to think I'm not hearing them the best I possibly can.

All RHCP albums since "One Hot Minute" are badly mastered, though Californication is arguably the worst, and tops most peoples "worst mastering" list.

The CD was mastered by Vlado Meller (avoid him like the plague if you can), while the vinyl was mastered by Steve Hoffman, who has a name for being an "audiophiles' engineer". Ironically the best possible way to listen to RHCP is buying the vinyl, or, of course, seeing them live.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.