Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wavpack Compression Options (Read 9384 times) previous topic - next topic

Wavpack Compression Options

Can someone point me to or explain the different compression options wavpack has. For instance; say -h and what it does. Is there anywhere that already has all the different options and explanations for me to look at and pick what I'd like to use?

Thanks

Reply #1
IMO the original documentation does a good job.

I'll try an explanation for the most important options.

-f, -h, -hh are the basic options. They control the compression ratio, the encoding and decoding speed. -f is faster than the defaulted normal option both when encoding and decoding, but it yields an inferior compression. With -h it's the other way around: slower, but better compression than with defaulted normal mode. -hh is the extremer version of -h.
It's personal taste which option to use, though I guess to most users -f isn't attractive.

There's an additional -x option group which slows down the encoding process but yields a better compression ratio. The effect is the larger the faster the basic compression option is. There are 6 members of the -x option group adressed by using the option -x, -x2, -x3, x4, x5, or x6, with -x being the weakest and -x6 the strongest version.
I highly recommend to use at least -x, and up to -x3 the slowing down of the encoding process can easily be tolerated on modern machines IMO. -x4 and higher is still useful, but the slowing down becomes more and more obvious, while the additional decrease in file size becomes more and more negligible usually.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

Reply #2
There are 6 members of the -x option group adressed by using the option -x, -x2, -x3, x4, x5, or x6, with -x being the weakest and -x6 the strongest

Surprisingly X6 can be worse than X4 on some files ... manual brute-force is needed if you want the absolutely smallest output file
/\/\/\/\/\/\

Reply #3
manual brute-force is needed if you want the absolutely smallest output file

I use OptimFROG for that... As for WavPack, I would only go as high as -hhx3, and -hhx1 is more than reasonable (it's about as fast as flac --best).

Reply #4
-hx3 is the best compromise in terms of encoding speed and compression (see my small tests elsewhere in this forum) as far as I'm concerned.
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #5
-hh is the best for me. 
not recommended for use on portable devices because of the high CPU load required for decoding.

But my portable device support only mp3/ogg/wma/wav.
Wavpack -hh or TAK -pMax
OggVorbis aoTuVb6.03 -q 4