Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "the sound of DAC's..." (specifically sony ps1) (Read 2076 times) previous topic - next topic

"the sound of DAC's..." (specifically sony ps1)

Rolling back the clock to an old rumor...

https://www.destructoid.com/playstation-1-the-audiophile-s-dream--32269.phtml that certain models of the playstation 1 were considered comparable to $6000 CD players and it was an underground sensation for that reason...

It got me to thinking... how could one go about actually testing this theory?  I mean digital sound is digital sound - but where it turns analog, and especially any analog electronics between there and the output jacks can certainly have a sonic character, even if normally a subtle one.

So how could one best go about testing this?  I mean i'm aware that an A-B-X box would be required, but is there some kind of guide for what would be involved to extract the DAC board/electronics and hook it up as say a general purpose USB driven DAC or something off a PC, so you could more easily play and control all the test tones going through it, at least for listening tests...  I suppose you could use CDR's too, but if it could be just removed and turned into an external DAC i've got a pile of old PS1's with broken disc units in the garage I might turn into the finest dedicated converters for 7.1 output ever heard by the above logic.  :-P

Re: "the sound of DAC's..." (specifically sony ps1)

Reply #1
That is really dumb, but if you want to see what a PS1 can do, download RMAA, burn a test CD, and record the DACs output using a reasonable sound card with at least 17 bit line in. Then prepare to be underwhelmed :)