Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sample Formats (Read 1292 times) previous topic - next topic

Sample Formats

I'm just checking that I know what I'm doing before creating some music files.  I want to create two copies of each.  A WAV file which is suitable for putting on a CD and FLAC files which are smaller for keeping on the computer. I can choose various settings, but:
WAV - should be 44100Hz 16bit to match the CD specification.
FLAC - I think the default/highest value is 24bit, but if I set the same values as WAV, later if I damage the CD I can simply convert the FLAC to a WAV and create a replacement CD.

I would also like to know whether these formats are integer/float and signed/unsigned, but this information is very hard to find. So far I have discovered that:
WAV (in CD format) is signed, but I don't know whether float or integer.
FLAC is integer only, but I don't know whether signed or unsigned.

Re: Sample Formats

Reply #1
FLAC - I think the default/highest value is 24bit,

?? For a lossless format you don't get to choose.  The whole idea of lossless is that it decodes to the same thing as you put in.

would also like to know whether these formats are integer/float and signed/unsigned, but this information is very hard to find.

Integer, usually signed but that doesn't really matter since internally the encoder doesn't have to use any specific integer format.  Almost nothing uses floating point for storage.

Reply #2
How i would do this is just use FLAC but have 2 copies of the FLAC files (ideally you would want 3 copies, 3-2-1 backup, 3 copies of the data, 2 copies on different storage media and 1 copy offsite).

If you need to recreate your CD's then just convert your FLAC files to WAV and burn (most burning software will do the FLAC to WAV conversion automatically).

The key to backing up your CD's is to ensure your using trusted ripping software

Freeware;
CueTools CUERipper (simple to use)
Exact audio copy (more tricky but lots of guides out there)

Paid;
DBPoweramp ripper (simple to use)

The next question would be to CUE sheet or not to CUE sheet...
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #3
I've concluded that so long as they are both integers (they are), it doesn't matter, as it's just a number so could be converted without loss from one to the other.