Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Software for Checking Flac Files (Read 9779 times) previous topic - next topic

Software for Checking Flac Files

Hello,

I have been all over the internet and also searching in this forum.
But have not found what I'm looking for yet.
I hope some people with good knowledge on the subject can help me out on this forum.

I am looking for software that can analyze a batch of flac-files or maps containing flac-files, to select on my hard drive.
And give as a result a listing of the following information per file:
1 Bit Depth
2 Sampling Frequency
3 Whether or not there is a Low or High Frequency Cutoff (and if so at which frequencies)
4 Whether or not there is a Distorting Volume Cutoff (and if so an indication of the amount of distortion)

(And maybe you guys can think of other important information that determines the quality.)

Off course it would be great if there where a tool that can do that all at once and has a simple GUI and transparent presentation of results.
But I am already extremely happy if anybody can help me towards any tool that can do a specific part of the job (as long as it does it's job well).

thanks in advance.

Reply #1
I understand the desire to quantify quality and (I assume) use that info to make decisions about what needs "upgrading" in your digital collection, but you will find that there are many exceptions to rules you try to come up with. Certainly if you've spent any time around here or on our wiki, you should know that higher bit depths and sample rates are not necessarily indicators of higher quality. That said, you can easily make foobar2000 show you columns with the bit depth and sample rate.

There are some tools that look for a frequency cutoff, but this can't reliably be used to predict quality. In lossy codecs, high frequencies are removed before encoding so that what remains (which is much more audible) can be of higher quality. FLAC being lossless, you probably have lossless sources, so lowpass filtering isn't really an issue anyway, unless someone screwed up.

Similarly, although there are objective measurements which can be made, the perceived severity of distortion caused by clipping is hard to gauge.

I think you are wasting your time.

Reply #2
http://www.similarityapp.com/

Looks for dups, analyzes audio properties, gives "ITS" rating of quality...
Beware of its analysis though.  I've frequently see flac encoded files converted using LAME -v5 get increased max frequency and reduced clipping, therefore better ratings than the original lossless.  Lossless vs lossless, and lossy vs lossy comparisons MAY be more accurate.

Reply #3
The reason why I'm searching is that I have a large collection of flac and wav files.
However in the beginning I used to think that everything I bought was perfect because it was lossless.
After a while I found out that wasn't always so (No good frequency cut off outside the range of my audioset, to much frequency cut off, clipping, wrongly dithered or not at all, etc.

Also I made the mistake not to label or organize my files according to bitdepth/samplerate

To make it short I need a tool that helps me find out which of my files are of which quality:
So that I can:
- See which files need to be replaced by better versions (if available) when they are crippled because of, for me, improper conversion or mastering methods
- check the quality of files I buy (and compare them with versions I already have) instead of relying on the sellers word.
- Label them properly according to bithdepth/samplerate.

Of course I know i could also listen to the files for their quality, but my audioset and even more important my room is not set (yet)
for high audio quality listening. However there is no sense in investing in a better system and environment when the files are not up to par.

And for what it's worth, I also see it as a hobby to get the best quality recordings.

thanks for your answers so far.

However, I hold myself available for further advise from you or other.
So that I can come to the best decision in this.

Reply #4
You could use foobar2000 and make a playlist view that will show you the file path, bitdepth, samplerate and codec.

If you have the space you could also use Foobar2000s copy to function to separate your files in to bitdepth and sample rate folders.

%path%
$info(samplerate)
$info(bitspersample)
$info(codec)
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #5
After a while I found out that wasn't always so (No good frequency cut off outside the range of my audioset, to much frequency cut off, clipping, wrongly dithered or not at all, etc.

What makes you think there will be different versions? I assume most lossless stuff is from CD rips or even downloads from lossless stores. You won't be getting different versions of these unless there's a remaster or something similar and whether they're "better", well who knows.