Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Microsoft gets behind DVD replacement (Read 5850 times) previous topic - next topic

Microsoft gets behind DVD replacement

"Toshiba's HD-DVD stores up to 30 gigabytes, but can close the quality gap with the Blu-ray by using more efficient compression software than the MPEG-2 standard already used in DVDs and planned for the Blu-ray. One of the several compression schemes that may go into the final HD-DVD standard is none other than Microsoft's Windows Media 9 software."

New DVD Format

Reply #1
i could write h.264 to blu-ray same as i write .rm to cdr's.....
i see discs(all discs) as data storage in the first place...more place=nicer....
blu-ray is therefore nicer,but if hollywood sees toshiba discs are easir to make,it'll go for them...

if you're askign me to choose between 50gb and 30gb disc,i'll take 50gb disc(and it has a caddie too...hehe)

Reply #2
One of the several compression schemes that may go into the final HD-DVD standard is none other than Microsoft's Windows Media 9 software."

thats not really correct:

if m$ stuff gets used in a dvd successor (hd-dvd) than ONLY wmv9!
NOT wma9 pro, wma9 std, wma9 lossless or the .wmv container!

so to say these terminator2 like "dvds" m$ likes to present as "dvds" are nothing more than marketing! they will surely never be compatible to any upcoming dvd standard!
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

Reply #3
if you're askign me to choose between 50gb and 30gb disc,i'll take 50gb disc(and it has a caddie too...hehe)

Blu-Ray discs have a caddie because the surface is extremely prone to physical damage (aka scratches). For technical reasons the layer with the actual data has to be much closer to to the external surface (= thinner protective layer). I read in some tech magazine that cd-r's are much more scratch resistant than industrially created brd's. IMHO this is a severe problem. I don't want to loose 50 gigs of data at once 

Reply #4
well,wmv9 codec is "software",bond...isn't it?

cheerow...people usually don't know how to handle discs(any discs),so having caddy is a nice thing anyway(wether medium really requires it or not...because i dislike cleaning my cdr's from fingerprints...)

Reply #5

Blu-Ray discs have a caddie because the surface is extremely prone to physical damage (aka scratches). For technical reasons the layer with the actual data has to be much closer to to the external surface (= thinner protective layer). I read in some tech magazine that cd-r's are much more scratch resistant than industrially created brd's. IMHO this is a severe problem. I don't want to loose 50 gigs of data at once 

Caddies are a great idea!  I remember when CD-ROMs had caddies.
地獄

Reply #6
Blu-ray discs have a 0.1mm protective layer, as opposed to CD and DVD discs layer of 0.6mm.  Caddies were looking like the only safe option to compensate for this much thinner layer, but when TDK became part of the Blu-ray Alliance they licenced their nano-technology based hard-coating technology to the Alliance.  Blu-ray discs will now not require caddies.

Reply #7
what a pitty....