Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How do you convert a video file? (Read 6037 times) previous topic - next topic

How do you convert a video file?

Ive got a video file that has 5.1ch AC3 that i want to convert to something like 96kbit mp3.. but whenever i try to it says make sure the target number of channels is the same as the input, or something like that..

ive tried using virtualdub (which doesnt support ac3 in the first place), a modded virtualdub with ac3 support, and something else too, forget what it was...

i thought ive converted 5.1ac3 before, but i cant seem to figure it out now, does anyone have any suggestions?

Reply #2
thanks gonna check it out

Reply #3
You could try BeSweet available at DSPGuru's website. It can downconvert AC3 and recently DTS to pretty much any format you want. A GUI is also downloadable. I recommend the latest beta versions, they have much more functionality than the stable ones.

BeSweet supports VOBs (from DVD) directly, but for other formats you need to extract the AC3 track first. VirtualDubMod might do the trick, but in the worst case you'll have to play around with Graphedit.

For VirtualDubMod, the procedure is:

Open the video file -> 'Streams' -> 'Stream list' -> pick the right track -> 'Demux'

The .ac3 file can be opened and downconverted with BeSweet.

Reply #4
I agree BeSweet is a wonderful tool and everyone should try it, but I made my codec so people could avoid all those extra steps.  The core is based on liba52, and it works with most any ACM client (VirtualDub, TMPGEnc, Avisynth, CoolEdit, etc).  The only downside I'm aware of is that it tends to override DirectShow AC-3 filters, like Valex's.  (I have a workaround for that if anyone needs it.)
May the FOURCC be with you...

Reply #5
fccHandler your codec works great.. i installed it and opened virtualdub (regular virtualdub, not modded in any form) and was instantly able to convert the ac3.

nice work

Reply #6
I also recomend BeSweet along with the BeSweet GUI to avoid the command line.

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']
Note: Moved to multichannel audio
[/span]

Reply #7
96kbs mp3 is a bad idea!

use a better codec like vorbis or aac for that bitrate...
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)