Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: my existing mp3 display rubbish chars in win 7 (Read 4156 times) previous topic - next topic
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

my existing mp3 display rubbish chars in win 7

When I was using Windows XP, I tagged  my mp3 with foobar2000 internal id3 tagging. All chinese and japanese tagging display properly in Windows XP.

However, I switched to windows 7 English, all tagging display improperly - rubbish chars.


Under windows xp




Under Win 7




What's wrong with it ?

my existing mp3 display rubbish chars in win 7

Reply #1
Just a wild guess here: looks like Segoe UI doesn't have a chinese/japanese support. You should change the font in your album list with something more appropriate.

my existing mp3 display rubbish chars in win 7

Reply #2
Arial Unicode MS that installs with Office 2007 is one of the best.

If you had Office installed on your previous build, that is probably why it was working fine before.

you can look in c:\windows\fonts and sort by size or "designed for" to pick a more suitable font.

in the past, i've found this site helpful:
Font Support for Unicode Characters

here's how i have my Default UI setup:

my existing mp3 display rubbish chars in win 7

Reply #3
does the arial unicode ms font of xp be used on win7 ?


my existing mp3 display rubbish chars in win 7

Reply #5
If it was a font issue the user would see boxes in place of wrong symbols. I suspect the files do not have Unicode tags and he had changed his system to default to some asian language for non-unicode apps in XP. This component should help.

my existing mp3 display rubbish chars in win 7

Reply #6
If it was a font issue the user would see boxes in place of wrong symbols. I suspect the files do not have Unicode tags and he had changed his system to default to some asian language for non-unicode apps in XP. This component should help.


just downloaded this component
But it show me that my mp3 tag is unicode already


my existing mp3 display rubbish chars in win 7

Reply #7
What happens if you rewrite tags in XP for one of the files and try that same file then on your Windows 7 machine?

my existing mp3 display rubbish chars in win 7

Reply #8
What happens if you rewrite tags in XP for one of the files and try that same file then on your Windows 7 machine?



I'll rewrite tags for some of files later.

But I let all you know, those mp3's tag are showing properly in itunes of Mac OS X.

my existing mp3 display rubbish chars in win 7

Reply #9
Try e.g. http://flying.guy.chez-alice.fr/Axone.jar to see what kind of tag the MP3 files really have and in what encoding.
Might be UTF-8 stored in ISO8859-1 frame or ID3v1 or something, when I see "[ ] Convert to local codepage first" unchecked.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

my existing mp3 display rubbish chars in win 7

Reply #10
Try e.g. http://flying.guy.chez-alice.fr/Axone.jar to see what kind of tag the MP3 files really have and in what encoding.
Might be UTF-8 stored in ISO8859-1 frame or ID3v1 or something, when I see "[ ] Convert to local codepage first" unchecked.


most id3 is v2.3 and some of them is v2.4
and files are mixture of UTF-8 and UTF-16




my existing mp3 display rubbish chars in win 7

Reply #11
I figured out the problem finally. 

Most of the mp3s have id3v1 tag too and foobar read v1 tag by default.

 

my existing mp3 display rubbish chars in win 7

Reply #12
It reads the longer tag by default if both id3v1 and id3v2 are present.

 
SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021