Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Uploading files to the iPod (Read 6064 times) previous topic - next topic

Uploading files to the iPod

Hello,

At the moment - I don't  like Itunes. I hate the fact I have to sync a directory, and not just send specific files I need to the Ipod.
Up until now I used Foo_Pod, but since I upgraded to the new FooBar version - I can't use it anymore.
I was wondering if can recommand about a free utility (Or foobar Plugin) that would let me Sync beween my Ipod and Computer.

Now - I searched this forums and found few options to sync. MediaMonkey for example.
However -  I once used a Sync utility the corrupted my Ipod Filesystem. Can you recommand about utility that Sync the way Itunes Sync file? In a *Standard* way?

Reply #1
Well apparently the plugin for Winamp is pretty good, i've tried a whole bunch of different programs for syncing my iPod, all of which have just caused problems. I'd suggest you just grin and bear it and use iTunes, it's not great but it does the job.

Reply #2
MediaMonkey works great here. I only had to format it once when I upgraded to Vista.
But you should use a fresh formatted iPod and then sync your music with MediaMonkey.

Big_Berny

Reply #3
At the moment - I don't  like Itunes. I hate the fact I have to sync a directory, and not just send specific files I need to the Ipod.

I don't think that's true.

IIRC, you set/unset that option with iTunes, on a per-iPod basis, _while_ your particular iPod is attached.

With the hardware attached, you can set several options, including sync, and whether you want the iTunes software to fire up when that particular iPod is detected. With sync disabled, you can use iTunes to drag and drop to the iPod to your heart's content from your library, and never again have to worry about the thing filling up because of an undesired sync. I've had two minis for years, with libraries several times their capacity, and I've never had an undesired sync.

Can you recommand about utility that Sync the way Itunes Sync file? In a *Standard* way?

Okay, I'm totally confused. I thought you were trying to avoid syncs the way iTunes wants to do syncs.

Reply #5
At the moment - I don't like Itunes. I hate the fact I have to sync a directory, and not just send specific files I need to the Ipod.
Up until now I used Foo_Pod, but since I upgraded to the new FooBar version - I can't use it anymore.
I was wondering if can recommand about a free utility (Or foobar Plugin) that would let me Sync beween my Ipod and Computer.

If you were on Linux you could use Amarok, which synchs up with the IPod via plug-in. I am not sure about Windows though.
budding I.T professional

Reply #7
Another alternative would be to use Rockbox in lieu of the Apple firmware.  Then you can load your player simply by dragging and dropping folders.

Reply #8
OJ 829 is right - iTunes can easily be used to manually move music on and off an iPod. Just set the preferences for the iPod to "Manual" once it is mounted in iTunes. You may then drag and drop to your heart's content between the Library and the iPod.

If you have a large library, you may find that this method (and all file browser based methods) isn't much fun; there are just too many tracks to manage that way. My library is currently at 18,500+ tracks, there is no way I want to manage that manually. Windows Explorer and the Mac Finder are just all wrong for that kind of task, as many files are cross-referenced in different playlists, etc.

An alternative is to tell iTunes to sync only certain playlists. This offers speed and flexibility. For example, I maintain a playlist called "Audition Room", into which I drag any new material I wish to check out. When I sync my iPods, they automagically sync whatever is in Audition Room so I can listen. If the music passes muster I can put it someplace else on the iPod - if it doesn't, I simply remove it from Audition Room and poof! it is gone from the iPod too.

I can see no good reason not to use iTunes. It is free, reliable and guaranteed to work with iPod.

Reply #9
Mediamonkey for me...

Reply #10
why don't use foo_pod , it really works good

by the way there is plug for winamp ,it 's really great http://www.mlipod.com/

Reply #11
foo_dop also works nicely even though it's in Alpha

Reply #12
Thanks for the help you guys, I will try play with the Itunes a bit more along with tried some of the software suggested.
Many thanks for your time :-)

Reply #13
is somebody able to upload covers & lyrics?

Reply #14
@francesco: With foo_pod? Or mlipod?

Reply #15
@Big_Berny with foo_pod

Reply #16
According to the foo_pod-homepage album arts aren't supported. Lyrics probaby neither, since it isn't mentioned anywhere.

Btw ml_ipod supports both.

Big_Berny