Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_midi (Read 81861 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_midi

Reply #350
Hi @kode54
Just want to say thanks for creating & maintaining foo_midi - it has been one of my essential plugins for all of my foobar2000 installs over the years.
I'm not sure if you would be willing to accept any feature suggestions (and if not, that's fine), but if possible it'd be great to have a strictly MT32 mode in Super MUNT GM.
I'm in the minority who grew up with only an MT32 and wasn't aware of the GM Reset utility, and as such all of the MIDI music I have listened to back in the day was in MT32 mode - so that's the sound that I know and love (I'm a weirdo, I know).
I'm using one of the MT32 soundfonts for nostalgia purposes, but it would be amazing to be able to listen to GM midis in MT32 mode through Super MUNT.
Thanks again!

Reply #351
MT-32 mode swaps in automatically for any file with MT-32 SysEx commands in it. It's also possible to right click on a MT-32 reset .syx file and a .MID at the same time and force it to apply that .SYX to the .MID, using a context menu action. This state is stored in a database, and doesn't modify the files.

Reply #352
MT-32 mode swaps in automatically for any file with MT-32 SysEx commands in it. It's also possible to right click on a MT-32 reset .syx file and a .MID at the same time and force it to apply that .SYX to the .MID, using a context menu action. This state is stored in a database, and doesn't modify the files.

Thanks, I've figured it out!

For anyone else with the same request:
1. Grab the MT-32 Reset zip file from here: https://www.midimusicadventures.com/queststudios/mt32-resource/utilities/ and unpack the .syx file anywhere you can easily find (preferably in your MIDI folder)
2. Select the midis you want to listen to in strict MT-32 mode and drag them into the foobar2000 playlist
3. Drag reset.syx into the playlist
4. Select everything in the playlist from inside foobar2000, reset.syx included, right-click, choose Utilities -> Assign SysEx dumps
And you're good to go. If you need to clear the sysex assignment, just right-click and choose Utilities -> Clear SysEx dumps.

Reply #353
kode54!
Hi, I am a MIDI lover.
I am using DeepL translation and it may be incomplete.
I have an SC-88Pro and would like to use Foobar2000.
I have been using a Japanese software "KbMediaPlayer" to play MIDI, but I would like to move on.
However, foo_midi.dll does not have a MIDI output function.
I would strongly like to add the ability to output MIDI externally.
If I am worried about the operation of VU meter or Spectrum, the average user would send the audio output from the sound source to the PC.
Then, wouldn't the VU meter and spectrum work by sending the sound from the microphone (input) for hardware MIDI such as SC-88Pro, or the speaker (output) for VirtualMIDISynth, Timidity, etc., to Foobar2000?
Since there is no problem without visual effects, can't you at least support MIDI output?

Reply #354
Hello, just here to make an interesting suggestion, since i love this foobar plugin.

Is possible to implement miniBAE in foo_midi? miniBAE was a midi synthesizer for embedded tiny devices such as dumbphones in the year 2000s (for example, Nokia phones), years ago the source code was released as BSD license, and fans made a fork which is a modern implementation of this engine, you can take a look: https://github.com/zefie/miniBAE

It works very similar to SF2, for example, instead of SF2, it's .hsb (or .gm in some cases) format soundbanks, the same ones used in dumbphones from that decade. The point of this suggestion is to have a convenient way to reproduce midi files with this engine, and make audio renders of these in WAV/FLAC/MP3.

That's my suggestion, thanks for the plugin :)

Reply #355
Hello,
Cisco Secure Endpoint reports component file as being infected with W32.3C0B1B053C-90SBX.TG. Any option to fix it?

Reply #359
Any chance for a fb2k v2 compilation of the plugin?

Since kode54 have stopped all his work on foobar components etc so won't there be any up date from him.

You could always give a try yourself and make a new release using his source
https://gitlab.com/kode54/foo_midi

I really appreciate his work, to bad that he quit coding, hopefully someone else that can code can update to be supported by the new fb2k v2 x64 compatible.

I don't like to use WMP, wish I could use Foobar2000 for MIDI too!

Regards
/e33et

Reply #360
In case anyone is interested, I have a x64 version that builds and that plays MIDI files on foobar2000 2.0 beta 12 using the Emu de MIDI plugin.

Sounds awful but hey, it works!

The other plugins either complain about a corrupt file or don't produce any sound.

Reply #361
Automatic update to foo_midi / MIDI Player / 2.8.0.0 doesn't work:

Component update: Checking for: foo_midi / MIDI Player / 2.8.0.0
Component update: No release to serve

Should be:
Component update: Checking for: foo_midi / MIDI Player / 2.8.0.0
Component update: Found a match - 2.8.0.0 vs 2.8.0.0

Reply #362
Automatic update to foo_midi / MIDI Player / 2.8.0.0 doesn't work:
Can this be a problem with the Components page? I tried every combination of numbering and deleting releases. Perhaps because the previous releases didn't have a binary attached to it?

Reply #363
Had the same problem with my components. I supposed, Peter fixed that.

Can this be a problem with the Components page?
Yes.

Perhaps because the previous releases didn't have a binary attached to it?

I don't think so, should show (after manual update):

Component update: Found a match - 2.8.0.0 vs 2.8.0.0

Reply #364
Wasn't MIDI flavor and filter effects only for Secret Sauce? I see now it's also available for BASSMIDI and VSTi
Secret Sauce checkbox now to enable filter effect, does it mean now reverb and chorus disabled by default?
Maybe also notif user to reopen preferences after directory of VSTi or Secret is changed to take effect, also the possibility when selected plugins unavailable.
Seems there is a glitch where Secret Sauce listed in plugins list when directory was cleared.
Regards :)

Reply #365
Glitch in Preferences. Opening Preferences: "BASS not loaded" is active, blurry and white (1st screenshot). Switching to another menu item in Preferences and back: "BASS not loaded" is inactive, not blurry and grey (2nd screenshot).

Reply #366
Wasn't MIDI flavor and filter effects only for Secret Sauce? I see now it's also available for BASSMIDI and VSTi
Secret Sauce checkbox now to enable filter effect, does it mean now reverb and chorus disabled by default?
Maybe also notif user to reopen preferences after directory of VSTi or Secret is changed to take effect, also the possibility when selected plugins unavailable.
Seems there is a glitch where Secret Sauce listed in plugins list when directory was cleared.
Regards :)
Thx for the feedback. I'll look in to it. The preferences code was... challenging. It showed a long history of adding features. Obviously I didn't retest all paths.

Reply #367
Tried VSTi, doesn't work with MIDI, just freezes and/or crashes foobar.
I attempted adding all VST's, then just a single VST folder. No matter which VST I chose, same result.
foobar2000  x64

Reply #368
Tried VSTi, doesn't work with MIDI, just freezes and/or crashes foobar.
I attempted adding all VST's, then just a single VST folder. No matter which VST I chose, same result.

x86 or x64? Which VSTi? I have several from simple analog synths to complex digital synths, no problem with them.

Reply #369
Hi kode54!
Is it possible to add a simple MIDI THRU output option to plug-ins menu making it possible to control some midi device? To play MIDIs with windows softsynth midi driver or some external tone generator or midi contolled synth connected by the cable? I didn't find such an option. I've googled a lot and found some free midi thru vst and tried using it, but it doesn't seem to have time sync or something, so it doesn't follow tempo and sounds glitchy. Since foo_midi is the only option available in foobar, I see no other way playing midi without vsti synths and emulators than adding some midi output plug-in working as a proxy to external device

Reply #370
Hi kode54!
Is it possible to add a simple MIDI THRU output option to plug-ins menu making it possible to control some midi device? To play MIDIs with windows softsynth midi driver or some external tone generator or midi contolled synth connected by the cable? I didn't find such an option. I've googled a lot and found some free midi thru vst and tried using it, but it doesn't seem to have time sync or something, so it doesn't follow tempo and sounds glitchy. Since foo_midi is the only option available in foobar, I see no other way playing midi without vsti synths and emulators than adding some midi output plug-in working as a proxy to external device

kode54 doesn't work on foobar2000 plugins anymore: https://kode54.net/fb2k-unfold

Reply #371
Please head over to the follow-up thread raised by pqyt, the new maintainer of the foo_midi plugin, here. :)

Reply #372
Automatic update to foo_midi / MIDI Player / 2.8.0.0 doesn't work.

I think, its a problem with the short name of the component. foo_midi is already in use (by kode54). Please consider to rename the component (in foo_midi2). Thanks.

Reply #373
Automatic update to foo_midi / MIDI Player / 2.8.0.0 doesn't work.
I think, its a problem with the short name of the component. foo_midi is already in use (by kode54). Please consider to rename the component (in foo_midi2). Thanks.
The internal key is already different ("foo_midi (x64)") because it must be unique (and can not be changed). The display name is also different ("MIDI Player"). I think it's because I have the habit of copying information from the GitHub manifest and I forget to remove the 'v' from 'v2.8.0.0'. The Components repository accepts the 'v' but the update mechanism is confused by it.

When I release an update with the reported bugs I'll pay specific attention to the automatic update process.

Reply #374
MIDI flavor and Filter Effects were available for most players, as mentioned in the original code.

That too is in the original code.

Maybe also notif user to reopen preferences after directory of VSTi or Secret is changed to take effect,
Done.

also the possibility when selected plugins unavailable.
What do you mean by that?

That got solved by asking the user to re-open the Preferences dialog.