Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: De-Clicker (Read 3406 times) previous topic - next topic

De-Clicker

I've been digitizing a lot of my old record collection, and currently I'm using Izotope RX to record and process them (I really recommend this tool, the workflow is ideal). The de-clicker is really good for a lot of music too, except dance music. Anything with an exposed kick drum seems to cause an issue - the de-clicker us unable to tell the difference between the attack on the kick and a genuine pop/click.

I've tried all the setting in RX, and there's no real compromise.  Either you are removing attack from kicks or don't remove the clicks/pops.

Is there any software that would be better at this? All it really needs is some sort of tempo awareness or some sort of look ahead logic (that could distinguish the characteristics of a drum tone).

Re: De-Clicker

Reply #1
A well known method of mitigating this problem is to reverse the recording prior to processing. I guess you have probably already tried this. I found that it didn't have much effect when processing with Izotope, but the much simpler declicker included with Sonic Foundry Sound Forge gave better results when the recording was reversed and the processor saw percussion as slowly swelling up in amplitude.

Reply #2
j7n, thank you for the tip, I had the same problem when digitizing some older electronic/disco records. Will try.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #3
Izotope RX is out of my price range, but I have Wave Repair and Wave Corrector.   Wave Repair only "touches" the audio where you identify a defect, so it won't try to de-click your kick-drums.   (The downside of that manual de-clicking is that it can take me many hours to clean-up a digitized LP.)

This page (written by the developer of Wave Repair) has a list of vinyl clean-up applications, and a ton of other information related to digitizing vinyl.