Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Using EAC for compression/conversion? (Read 3068 times) previous topic - next topic

Using EAC for compression/conversion?

Hey everyone,

This is maybe an odd question, but I went through some pains setting up my compression preset in EAC and I have some FLAC albums I want to run through the presets I have. Is there a way to just feed that FLAC to EAC? I don't have the discs to rip as I lost my CD collection T_T

Otherwise, could someone maybe assist me with how to convert my FLAC? I use this command line string in EAC:

Code: [Select]
-i %source% -metadata "ARTIST=%artist%" -metadata "TITLE=%title%" -metadata "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -metadata "DATE=%year%" -metadata "TRACK=%tracknr%" -metadata "GENRE=%genre%" -metadata "ALBUM_ARTIST=%albuminterpret%" -metadata "COMPOSER=%composer%" -metadata "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -metadata "COMMENT=CRC:%TRACKCRC%" -metadata "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" -acodec alac %dest%

And I end up with ALAC .m4a files. I can't figure out the ffmpeg cmd extensions to run from a command prompt to, say, take a folder and transcode the *.flac files in there to the *.m4a with the settings I have in EAC (basically, high quality, 896kBit/s with the extension above).

Re: Using EAC for compression/conversion?

Reply #2
foobar2000 is 'a' way but dbpoweramp or CUETools are options as well.
korth

Reply #3
I don't have the discs to rip as I lost my CD collection T_T
Lame excuse and best not even said.  Anyway, foobar2000 is the way you do this:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,111987.msg922922.html#msg922922

Excuse me? Thanks for the tip but not only did I lose my entire CD collection, one of my hard drives with many of my meticulously ripped EAC backups failed in the same summer while I was travelling. I'm fortunate to have the stuff left over that I do. I can do without the insinuation, thanks. I've already spent more money than I care to think about replacing things I've already bought before, but the real tragedy is the irreplaceable local albums and rare things that I'm simply never going to be able to find again.

Anyways, I tried using the fb2k converter plugin but I couldn't figure out the right settings. I ended up with s program called MediaHuman audio converter which works very smoothly but I'm gonna look at both suggestions made here.

EAC has been using ffmpeg and I'd prefer for posterity to use that rather than qaac or whatever foobar is trying to use but like I said the settings didn't make sense in there anyways, so I'll take a closer look at that.

Reply #4

Reply #5
[img]

Thank you! Do you know why my command line instructions work with EAC but error out with fb2k? I must have done something blindingly ignorant in there somewhere, but I'm not sure why it would only throw an error with one and not the other. Does the -metadata extension not work with ALAC for some reason?

Reply #6
Thank you
You're welcome and sorry for my earlier snark. Haven't yet been able to shake the crappy mood I've been in since 11/8.

That said you're not in the clear on copyright at least in the US. If you don't have the original media, you can't have a copy of it either. Best to keep that part of the story to yourself.

I don't know the answer to your other question.

Reply #7
Thank you
You're welcome and sorry for my earlier snark. Haven't yet been able to shake the crappy mood I've been in since 11/8.

That said you're not in the clear on copyright at least in the US. If you don't have the original media, you can't have a copy of it either. Best to keep that part of the story to yourself.

I don't know the answer to your other question.

I apologize for blowing up, too. Losing music is a sensitive subject!

As far as copyright stuff, making a backup of your media IS legal in the US, specifically in case of the event that your original is lost or stolen. You simply aren't allowed to distribute it or profit commercially from it in any way; the ownership is *transferable* when you own the original media (I could sell you a CD), but becomes *non-transferable* in the event that the original is gone. There's a ton of gray area in this subject, though, as regulation has not kept up with tech. In the UK, even just the act of ripping a CD to put your music on an MP3 player is still illegal due to a court decision in 2015! Anyways, we've gotten derailed.

I ended up using the basic command line extensions shown above just to get my FLAC to .m4a, and while I'm still having some metadata and naming issues because I can't figure out how to implement the instructions from EAC with ffmpeg through fb2k (??), the conversion seems smooth. I also tried decompressing the FLAC to WAV and then running the WAV through EAC, but I lost even more metadata that way. I'm just using MusicBrainz Picard to process all the stuff that's getting broken.

Reply #8
I use Mp3tag to copy tags:
1. Load both old and new files into Mp3tag; make sure they are in the same order
2. Highlight old ones and CTRL-C
3. Highlight new ones and CTRL-V

Reply #9
You did not make clear if the media were destroyed, such as in a fire, in which case I don't think any one would have a problem with you keeping your digital copies, vs. stolen, in which case someone else has the media and we are into a grey area as far as ownership rights.