Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Newbies\' quick & dirty guide to the extended world of au (Read 2630 times) previous topic - next topic

Newbies\' quick & dirty guide to the extended world of au

Hi people,

Half a year ago to me mp3 was mp3. Then I stumbled upon r3mix.net and became aware of stuff like high quality encoders (LAME!), VBR, ABR, bitrates etc. The site was (and still is) a great guide to audio encoding using mp3 answering most of my newbie questions with understandable, scientific argumentation to boot.
Alas the rate of news/updates at r3mix seem to haven fallen these days - but then I came across hygrogenaudio.org.

I've been browsing these boards for a couple of days, filling my brain with info about ogg, mpc and aac. Boards are great for discussion topics but I still miss the (to me) comprehendable, well-structured layout of r3mix.
So I wondered whether it was possible to gather some kind of "Newbies' quick & dirty guide to the extended world of audio compression" containing stuff like: The different codecs, quality, pros & cons, what bitrates they're aimed at etc.
I'm not asking you to build an r3mix-clone - just something... well, quick and dirty. It might even inspire more newbies like myself to join in.

Of course it such already exists - a link would get greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Demos

Reply #1
Hi,

Volcano and I are working on such a site. This site is mainly aimed at mp3, ogg and mpc. It is supposed to have some workshops for EAC, Information on the different codecs, etc. But as we both are pupils we don't have much free time to spend for this project. That means it may take a little while until it'll be online

Reply #2
Hi. I was going to make a suggestion to Dibrom about having a newbie section on this board.

People would have to take turns monitoring it and answering questions.