Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SonicStage 2.0 atrac3 samples? (Read 7106 times) previous topic - next topic

SonicStage 2.0 atrac3 samples?

I'm pretty positive that I can hear a significant difference between atrac3 (lp2) files encoded using SS 2.0/2.1 and newer versions. I would do some abxing but I don't currently have samples encoded using an older version. So it would be great if somebody could provide me with some old atrac3 sample (e.g. from the recent 128 kbps listening test).

Reply #1
Yes, I have them, because I did the ABXing.. I did hear differences between LP2 in versions 2 and 3.

As soon as I'm home I will upload the samples. How do I do this by the way?

Reply #4
I found those but as you said they aren't lp2.

Reply #5
I'm uploading the samples and respective references from my 128 test here:
http://www.rarewares.org/rja/atrac/

Everything should be up in about an hour. And won't stay there for long either

Reply #6
Thanks. I just downloaded the samples.

Reply #7
Sorry, I wasn't able to upload my samples yesterday. I will try to get them to you by the end of this week.

* EDIT *

I've uploaded the samples to the upload forum. You can find the thread here.

Reply #8
SS3 is out (3.1 for that matter)
And apparently, the software encoder have been slightly improved (making me fell like re-encoding all my MDs...)

Reply #9
@Daijoubu: Do you know any links for the english version of SS 3.1 ?

I believe SonicStage ATRACplus quality would not compare so well with Lame (256kbps vs. alt-preset standard). I remember reading a test about it in one of the threads -- SonicStage encoder was very fast but quality was low. I think Sony tuned the encoder for speed than quality for the average listener in mind. I hope Sony offers a mode for slower but higher quality encoding.

I'll purchase a NW-E507 in a few days. I wonder how the battery life compares for MP3 vs. ATRAC playback on that device.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.