Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: fb2k seems to be showing my songs in a wrong order. How do I fix that? (Read 3465 times) previous topic - next topic

fb2k seems to be showing my songs in a wrong order. How do I fix that?

Okay it moved, but it's on the bottom of the track list.

It's track number 1, but it's at the bottom?  The tagging is right for all the other songs.  Track 1 / 14 for example.  Disc 1 / 1.

Also is there a way to refresh Foobar, or do I have to close and reopen the program every time to see changes?  F5 does not work.

Reply #1
Ok this is strange.

I am using columns UI because Foobar doesn't have a library like iTunes where it shows all the albums in one of big list.

I have it sorted by genre so if I go Pop Punk for example it will show the albums all of my bands.

The tracks here are in the right order.

If I go to my quick search bar though and search for the band Green Day, the songs are messed up.

Library:

Track 1
Track 3
Track 11

Quick Search Bar:

Track 3
Track 11
Track 1 ?

It's only that one album though.

There is no problem with any other album.  The track list is correct.

Reply #2
Ok I think pictures will help better than my terrible explanations.

Here are songs from the exact same album, but they are split.  I moved all the songs to the same folder but they won't go together.  I closed Foobar and tried dragging but it doesn't work.

Reply #3
The answer is in the screenshot. One album is headed “Misfits / Misfits”, the other “The Misfits / Misfits”. Some field is inconsistent between the two sets of tracks. I presume it’s album artist. Unify that (or do what I would do, and don’t use it unless it’s different from artist), and I bet the ‘problem’ disappears.

Reply #4
Ok that worked my mistake.  I thought I checked that.  Originally the folders were 'Misfits' and 'The Misfits' inside My Music.  I moved them all to 'The Misfits.'  I try to keep all the tag fields filled in.

Here's the other song that I am still trying to fix.  I don't get what is wrong.  No album artist here I removed it.

Reply #5
Can you post the file names?

As far as I know - I don't have a foobar2000 installation here to check - the results of quicksearch get sorted according to the path- / filename.

Reply #6
The actual file names in windows explorer?

Name:

03 Holiday
11 Wake me up when September Ends
American Idiot

The track numbers are all right though.  Same album and artist.  I double checked.

Reply #7
Ok, here's the problem. Quicksearch by default sorts your tracks according to their filenames (the ones displayed in explorer), therefore "American Idiot" is put at the end.

You can either force your playlist to be sorted a certain way - however that's only possible with some playlist-plugins - or you can click on a certain column to sort it or you could just rename the files in a consistent way - what seems to be the best option in my opinion. To do so either rename it manually (American Idiot -> 01 American Idiot) or select the three files -> right click -> Tools -> File Operations -> "Move to" and then select a pattern you wish your files to be renamed. For more information on that, take a look at the wiki.

I would recommend to do the same with your whole library - given the fact that your tracks are tagged properly.

Reply #8
Yeah, it would be a good idea to fix your file names so they're consistent.
But there's still another solution -

Preferences > Shell Integration > Sort incoming files by:

default = %path_sort% = ordered by path and file name, which indeed seems to be what you have shown.
Unless you want to leave it that way, so you can find such problems with paths, you can change it to sort by tag values, something like:

%album artist% - %date% - %album% - %discnumber% - %tracknumber% - %title%

AFAIK Quicksearch uses this preference. Most components do, though some have their own sort prefs.
To fix existing playlists you can go to Edit > Sort