Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to tell the difference between the Presets (Read 4764 times) previous topic - next topic

How to tell the difference between the Presets

I Was wondering how I could tell the difference between an mp3 encoded via -aps as opposed to -ape.

I knoe that their bitrate is different, at least the avg, but is there another way to tell via looking @ EncSpot or something?

I was thinking about the Lowpass filter, but I am not sure how to tell.

Thanks

Reply #1
yes, the low pass filter is at a higher frequency with ape, with aps it's 19000, and I believe with ape it is at least 19500Hz

Reply #2
Yeah. 
There is a difference in the used lowpass filter values between these presets at least in v3.90.2.
I can't give the exact figures either (test yourself).
It will probably be impossible to hear the difference (in frequency at least, in quality maybee).
So you might have to do some spectrum analysis with some kind of program then?

The program also has to be able to show 19000 and 19500 (or whatever is the actual figures).
Needless to say the original music must have made use of the higher spectrum too.
Maybee there is a simpler method to distinguish standard from extreme encoding?

/ Alexander

Reply #3
Encspot will reveal the data in the LAME header, which should include the lowpass used for the MP3.