Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [TOS #8/14] Review of the smallest Tube Headphone Amplifier in the world. (Read 2898 times) previous topic - next topic

[TOS #8/14] Review of the smallest Tube Headphone Amplifier in the world.

Hi to all members of Hydrogen Audio,
This is my first attempt at a review for Hydrogen Audio & welcome your questions, comments & constructive criticisms.

Review of Nobsound NS-01E Mini-Tube Headphone Amplifier.
The first surprise is when you open the box & see how small the NS-01E valve headphone amplifier actually is (the world’s smallest in fact!). Don’t be fooled by the size.
The second surprise come when you plug in your headphones (a pair of Sennheiser Amperion in this case) & hear what this little box can do.
The amp is beautifully engineered. It has a very stylish gold volume control coupled with a miniature tube valve with two post mounted perspex rings (for protection), all of which lights up blue when the unit is turned on (a bit gimmicky I grant you, but I still love it!).
The unit packs a big punch when it comes to hi-fidelty & teamed with your favourite tunes & headphones will transform your listening experience.
After much testing with a broad variety of styles of music I would have to say the Nobsound NS-01E valve headphone amplifier offers a clear & smooth sound with plenty of volume & some to spare.
The dynamic range is delivered in a very un-fussy & listenable way with no noticeable amp compression. Thanks to it’s clever valve design you can expect to hear punchy lows & bright, tasteful highs with a well defined, but never “shouting” midrange.
It also works very well indeed as a pre-amp for your phone or portable music device, adding the aforementioned quality delivery to pretty much anything you care to play through it
My only criticism would be that the power supply seems a little large & outdated looking compared to the great looks & design of the amp itself.
I would expect a smaller & better looking power supply to match the cool size & look of the amp, if it were up to me.
I would also love to see a version that can be used as a “phono pre-amp” too, that would be a very cool feature to have on the unit.
See the picture attached for a look at it with it's power supply & a turntable headshell for scale.

Many thanks for reading.
Cutsville

Re: Review of the smallest Tube Headphone Amplifier in the world.

Reply #1
Hi to all members of Hydrogen Audio,
This is my first attempt at a review for Hydrogen Audio & welcome your questions, comments & constructive criticisms.

Review of Nobsound NS-01E Mini-Tube Headphone Amplifier.
The first surprise is when you open the box & see how small the NS-01E valve headphone amplifier actually is (the world’s smallest in fact!). Don’t be fooled by the size.
The second surprise come when you plug in your headphones (a pair of Sennheiser Amperion in this case) & hear what this little box can do.
The amp is beautifully engineered. It has a very stylish gold volume control coupled with a miniature tube valve with two post mounted perspex rings (for protection), all of which lights up blue when the unit is turned on (a bit gimmicky I grant you, but I still love it!).
The unit packs a big punch when it comes to hi-fidelty & teamed with your favourite tunes & headphones will transform your listening experience.
After much testing with a broad variety of styles of music I would have to say the Nobsound NS-01E valve headphone amplifier offers a clear & smooth sound with plenty of volume & some to spare.
The dynamic range is delivered in a very un-fussy & listenable way with no noticeable amp compression. Thanks to it’s clever valve design you can expect to hear punchy lows & bright, tasteful highs with a well defined, but never “shouting” midrange.
It also works very well indeed as a pre-amp for your phone or portable music device, adding the aforementioned quality delivery to pretty much anything you care to play through it
My only criticism would be that the power supply seems a little large & outdated looking compared to the great looks & design of the amp itself.
I would expect a smaller & better looking power supply to match the cool size & look of the amp, if it were up to me.
I would also love to see a version that can be used as a “phono pre-amp” too, that would be a very cool feature to have on the unit.
See the picture attached for a look at it with it's power supply & a turntable headshell for scale.

Many thanks for reading.
Cutsville

Check again - it looks like a phono cartridge, not a pair of headphones that is shown with it.

Re: Review of the smallest Tube Headphone Amplifier in the world.

Reply #2
"Check again - it looks like a phono cartridge, not a pair of headphones that is shown with it."

Hi Arnold, hope you are well.
The phono cartridge/headshell is pictured next to the NS-01E unit to indicate scale/size of the unit.
Sorry for any confusion.
Regards,
Cutsville