Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: id3-Tag Support + Plugin Search (Read 3198 times) previous topic - next topic

id3-Tag Support + Plugin Search

Hi guys,

I´ve got 2 questions.

I was talking to a friend today. He said, that he was using itunes and that itunes is able to lookup file informations (id3 Tags).

Does this really work? Is there anything like this in foobar?
(I´ve got Artist & Title with all my files -> I would like to have some component which adds the information for year, album, ...)

Then,

is there a plugin which adds (good) mp3-Player support?
Now I only can use "right Click -> Send to...".

I would prefer kind of an extendable windows with drag&drop support.
Is there anything like this?

Reply #1
Foobar comes with a component to look up tags on FreeDB.  Just right click some files, select tagging, and then `look up on freedb'.

There is also a seperate component called FooPod that works with the iPod, though I'm not sure if it's supported in the new version yet.

Reply #2
Thanks for the quick response rouge.

1. The freedb-lookup could be great. But I usually get many different matches. (sometimes the right one is not even listed. My fried told me that itunes automatically gets the right one without having him to choose the right one.

I have a file called (e.g.) "Billy Talent - Red Flag.mp3" (id tags= artist:Billy Talent, Title=Red Flag).
I get 8 matches -> the right one is not listed. But why? I think the filename is more or less unique.
The function could be great, but at the moment it is useless.

2. I am using an Archos mp3 player. It appears as a normal HD in Windows. Therefore there might be a little more comfortable way. (c´mon -> does everybody use an Ipod?)

Reply #3
2. You could use the masstagger to copy files to the MP3 player.  Or, with the default user interface, you can just drag a track from your playlist onto an Explorer window to copy the file.  With Columns UI, you have to right-click and drag, or hold CTRL and left-click/drag.

Reply #4
okay, that is something I can work with.
But am I the only one, who would like to have such a component?

Reply #5
Thanks for the quick response rouge.

1. The freedb-lookup could be great. But I usually get many different matches. (sometimes the right one is not even listed. My fried told me that itunes automatically gets the right one without having him to choose the right one.

I have a file called (e.g.) "Billy Talent - Red Flag.mp3" (id tags= artist:Billy Talent, Title=Red Flag).
I get 8 matches -> the right one is not listed. But why? I think the filename is more or less unique.
The function could be great, but at the moment it is useless.

It's actually a CD database, and will only work for whole albums. Select all the tracks from that album, in the correct order, and then try a freedb lookup.
2. I am using an Archos mp3 player. It appears as a normal HD in Windows. Therefore there might be a little more comfortable way. (c´mon -> does everybody use an Ipod?)

I think there's a foo_sendtodevice floating around somewhere. But i would just use 'Move, Rename or Copy files'

Reply #6
okay.

Is itunes able to look up single files? Its just a great feature (IMO), but obviously foobar cannot do it.
(still I prefer foobar -> iTunes sucks (IMHO)

:-)