Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: drag & drop on Windows 10 (Read 2916 times) previous topic - next topic

drag & drop on Windows 10

Hi all,
i know there are many topics on this already, but it looks like Foobar people like to reply that everything is ok, which is not.

I've just installed foobar2000 on a new win10 pc and, NOT running F2000 as admin, i am still unable to have the drag and drop working.
Please, note that d&d works perfectly fine with two other software on the same PC (AIMP and VLC).

I would like to use Foobar2000, mainly because of the way it manages replaygain, so looking forward a releasy without this bug.

Many thanks in advance,
r

Re: drag & drop on Windows 10

Reply #1
Where are you dragging from? Where are you dropping the files to? Default UI's and Columns UI's playlists handle drag and drop just fine but I have no idea how other third party components do.

Reply #3
Where are you dragging from?
From the local hard drive, i.e. Windows Explorer.

Where are you dropping the files to? Default UI's and Columns UI's playlists handle drag and drop just fine but I have no idea how other third party components do.
To a fresh, default installation of Foobar, no plugins installed nor activated. Since i did not touch any of the configuration items, i assume is the default UI.

Reply #4
Also, i have the same issue d&d'ing playlists (M3U) in the same scenario (from Windows Explorer to the default UI).

Reply #6
Drag & drop works fine for me even if foobar is not started by admin rights.
You need to have playlist view or playlist manager field in order to drag and drop work. I mean you can't drop and drag in album list/library field.
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #7
You need to provide exact steps how to reproduce drag and drop malfunction. It would be a start to say how it doesn't work, does the mouse pointer turn to a stop sign as happens when one tries to drag from unelevated program to elevated program? Or does something else happen?

Reply #8
Hi Guys,

I'm having a very similar issue. I downloaded Foobar on my PC with Windows 10 the other day. It's been working fine and I have been dragging songs / groups of songs from my downloads or an external hard drive into the Default Playlist and all has been playing the FLAC files just fine. Suddenly tonight when I tried to drag files into the same spot it wouldn't let me. I get a small black circle. It allows me to double click a song and then that adds it to Foobar where I can click it again and it plays...it does seem to allow me to right click on a group of songs in my folder and when I hit Open it opens them in Foobar. However that takes a few minutes to load even just 20 files...I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Foobar and I'm not running it as an administrator... there were some updates by Windows 10 this weekend so not sure if that did something (I have no idea what the updates were as it just did them). I tried turning off my computer and starting it up again and nothing changed.

Any insights? Please keep in mind I'm pretty computer illiterate. Installing a program and dragging and clicking is about up to my speed. :^)

Do we think it could be something with new updates from Microsoft 10 not jiving together with Foobar?

Thanks!

Reply #9
What kind of shell extensions do you people have? I'm starting to suspect some third party shell extension steals drag and drop from foobar. A program that ignores Microsoft guidelines could break from OS updates.

PS: most, if not all, foobar2000 alpha testers run Windows 10 and keep things updated. Drag and drop breaking would be immediately noticed.

Reply #10
Not totally sure what I'm supposed to have regarding shell extensions. The "shell integration" page (as with everything) is set to default. Is there something specific I should make sure is checked or unchecked somewhere?

Reply #11
Shell extensions are programs running in File Explorer. If you don't know about programs you have installed you can view them with ShellExView. Use the 64-bit version and enable the "Hide All Microsoft Extensions" setting under Options to clean the results up by hiding known-good stuff.

7-Zip, WinRAR, paint.net and Intel/Nvidia display driver related extensions are harmless too. I'd suggest disabling all non-Microsoft extensions at once, rebooting, and seeing if it helped for the problem. If it did, you can start enabling extensions until the culprit can be tracked down. If it didn't help, then the problem is somewhere else.

If shell extension experiment produces nothing can you make a Process Monitor log from a drag and drop case? Don't filter anything away but just record as short clip as possible where a file is dropped over the default playlist.

Reply #12
Shell extensions are programs running in File Explorer. If you don't know about programs you have installed you can view them with ShellExView. Use the 64-bit version and enable the "Hide All Microsoft Extensions" setting under Options to clean the results up by hiding known-good stuff.

7-Zip, WinRAR, paint.net and Intel/Nvidia display driver related extensions are harmless too. I'd suggest disabling all non-Microsoft extensions at once, rebooting, and seeing if it helped for the problem. If it did, you can start enabling extensions until the culprit can be tracked down. If it didn't help, then the problem is somewhere else.

If shell extension experiment produces nothing can you make a Process Monitor log from a drag and drop case? Don't filter anything away but just record as short clip as possible where a file is dropped over the default playlist.

Thanks for this! I downloaded the shellex app and tried that and nothing changed. Literally the only things under "hide all Microsoft Extensions" were Dropbox items, iTunes and a pair of Intel things of some sort. I really only use my computer for Microsoft Office, Chrome and music.

I downloaded the Process Monitor app and something like that is way over my head. Might as well be Greek.

Not sure what to do here. Might just have to research alternatives to Foobar that play FLAC in gapless and have an equalizer. Sigh.

Reply #13
The idea was to share the log for someone to take a look at it. Though I have no idea if it shows anything useful.

The only known ways to prevent drag and drop is the elevation issue, dragging from unsupported source, or trying to drop over an element that doesn't support the feature. Autoplaylists or playlists locked with foo_playlist_attributes won't accept new files.

Reply #15
I tried reinstalling as portable and I uninstalled a bunch of updates from this weekend, but it still won't allow me to drag and drop. Alas. Guessing there's no one at Foobar I can just call up about this. I feel like I've wasted enough time on this and time to move on.

Thanks to everyone for their input! if anyone has a recommendation for an alternative player that can provide gapless playback for FLAC and SHN with an equalizer in an easy to use format that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reply #16
Wait! I think I may have solved the issue. Or at least figured out the cause of the issue. It seems like it's not dragging and dropping any files contained within a Zip folder. When I take the folder I downloaded within the Zip and move that to my regular downloads folder it then works. The majority of downloads from the past few months are in Zip format so that's what I was checking.

Duly noted and glad it seems to be working again!!! Will let you guys know of any other updates.

Reply #17
As an alternative to dragging out of the ZIP folders, if you install the (default enabled) Archive Reader, you can drag the ZIPs themselves onto foobar2000. It would probably need extra work for its shell extension to support dragging individual files out of ZIP folders without unpacking them.

Reply #18
Glad you got it figured out but this is why leaving information out makes helping someone difficult.

From your post it was assumed that the same files that worked the previous day suddenly stopped working after Windows 10 was updated.

Explorer-opened zip file and Word-embedded object were the only examples I had in mind when I talked about "unsupported source". Pretty much only Microsoft's software supports drags from these. Had you posted a Process Monitor log it would have shown that zip files were involved.

Reply #19
Glad you got it figured out but this is why leaving information out makes helping someone difficult.

From your post it was assumed that the same files that worked the previous day suddenly stopped working after Windows 10 was updated.

Explorer-opened zip file and Word-embedded object were the only examples I had in mind when I talked about "unsupported source". Pretty much only Microsoft's software supports drags from these. Had you posted a Process Monitor log it would have shown that zip files were involved.

I did say I was borderline computer illiterate. :^)  But in all seriousness I though they were all the same types of files I was spot checking. They were, but all Zip files as opposed to some regular files. I download live music from a few sources and one of them seems to do Zips.

Hopefully my find will help others in the future.

Thanks to all for your help in keeping me pushing forward for solutions!