Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: impulse_trigger_profile 5&6 issue (Read 10717 times) previous topic - next topic

impulse_trigger_profile 5&6 issue

I have been doing some testing with v1.1 and the impulse_trigger_profile option and think I might have found an issue.

When I use this option at 3 or 4 (at q 7), it slightly increases the bit rate. No problem. 

When I use profiles 5 & 6, the average bitrate goes up over 500kbps.

I've tested a few wav files and got the same result.

Example using: q7, impulse_trigger_profile=5, impulse_noisetune=-10
File: E:\Smithereens FJIC\13 Miles From Nowhere.ogg
Length : 4:19
Average bitrate : 502 kbps
File size : 16,314,002 bytes
Nominal bitrate : 224 kbps
Channels : 2
Sampling rate: 44100 Hz
Serial number: 5299
Version : 0
Vendor :
Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20040920

File: E:\Smithereens FJIC\13 Miles From Nowhere.ogg
Now using: q7, impulse_trigger_profile=4, impulse_noisetune=-10
Length : 4:19
Average bitrate : 211 kbps
File size : 6,873,206 bytes
Nominal bitrate : 224 kbps
Channels : 2
Sampling rate: 44100 Hz
Serial number: 6935
Version : 0
Vendor :
Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20040920

Any ideas?  Am I doing something wrong?

Reply #1
Thanks for finding this out.  I'll have a look at it soon.  Profiles 5 and 6 are from GT3b2 but that doesnt explain how it is so high though.

Reply #2
I seem to remember GT3b1(2) jumping up to some amazingly high bitrates on some particular songs/samples.  IIRC it reaching nearly 500Kbit/s at -q 5 for the song Base Metal by Download.
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #3
As I have mentioned in my other thread, I dont recommend using ITP for general encoder anymore since I've heard reports of it degrading quality in some instances.  Hence use ITP as a problem fixer (noise in microattacks), rather than a general quality improver.  If in doubt, don't use it at all.

INT seems safe for now

Reply #4
As I have mentioned in my other thread, I dont recommend using ITP for general encoder anymore since I've heard reports of it degrading quality in some instances.  Hence use ITP as a problem fixer (noise in microattacks), rather than a general quality improver.  If in doubt, don't use it at all.

INT seems safe for now
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=245161"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can you please be more specific?
In which cases it may cause problems? I'm using q4 with ITP set for 3, is that OK?

Reply #5
In which cases it may cause problems? I'm using q4 with ITP set for 3, is that OK?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Unfortunately, I can't be anymore specific since I haven't encountered and verified this yet.  I got the report from [a href="http://nyaochi.cocolog-nifty.com/audio/2004/09/ogg_vorbis_11_.html]here[/url].  Maybe the best person to explain the problem is nyaochi

I need some further verification on this.  Hence, to be on the safe side, ITP is no longer recommended as a quality improver, but more of a problem fixer.  So only use it if you hear microattack noise.  There have been plenty of listening tests that have verified ITP to be helpful in microattack samples so I'm confident in that respect.

Reply #6
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Unfortunately, I can't be anymore specific since I haven't encountered and verified this yet.  I got the report from [a href="http://nyaochi.cocolog-nifty.com/audio/2004/09/ogg_vorbis_11_.html]here[/url].  Maybe the best person to explain the problem is nyaochi

I need some further verification on this.  Hence, to be on the safe side, ITP is no longer recommended as a quality improver, but more of a problem fixer.  So only use it if you hear microattack noise.  There have been plenty of listening tests that have verified ITP to be helpful in microattack samples so I'm confident in that respect.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=245169"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OK, thank you for the quick reply.
Personally I still haven't encountered this problem myself.. but I'm starting to feel a bit uncomfortable. The thing is that my music collection is huge, so I gotta make sure that I'm ripping it right. During those listening tests that have verified ITP to be helpful in microattack samples, were there any reports on problems that ITP is causing?

And nyaochi, can you please upload some samples with the noises that were caused by ITP?

Sorry if I'm a hassle (being a newbie and all..), but this is really important for me.

Reply #7
Personally I still haven't encountered this problem myself.. but I'm starting to feel a bit uncomfortable. The thing is that my music collection is huge, so I gotta make sure that I'm ripping it right.

If in doubt, don't use ITP at all.  It only addresses one problem and depending on the genre, it may be quite rare.  So out of your music collection, 98% may sound fine without ITP but there may be the odd couple which exhibit some noise.  Hence you could re-encode those few songs with a higher ITP setting.  Hence, its better to be safe on the majority and re-encode the few, if need be. 

INT, however, seems rather safe to use and will generally reduce pre-echo.  In fact, what INT does is exactly how I tune pre-echo in the QKTune, though tweaking individual values is more flexible than offsetting which is what INT does.

During those listening tests that have verified ITP to be helpful in microattack samples, were there any reports on problems that ITP is causing?

I myself did a successful ABX test with this sample that Rotellian provided

http://rarewares.soniccompression.com/quan...ginalsmall.flac

I mainly focused on the noise generated by the microattacks but didn't pay attention to other artifacts.  It is quite a good sample for getting familiar with noise due to microattacks so encode it normally at q 4 and then do an ABX on it.  Try to listen for that puff of noise.  Then increae ITP and it should reduce a bit.

Sorry if I'm a hassle (being a newbie and all..), but this is really important for me.

Feel free to raise anything and give feedback.  It is mainly because of the lack of feedback on ITP that led to my mistake of using it as a recommended option.  Now that listening tests have come to light, I now know that isn't good to use on everything.

Reply #8
I'm confused here. 

I thought ITP was just a way to change the default block switching profile for a given quality level. If -q 7 uses ITP 3 and -q 5 uses ITP 2.5, you could manually have -q 5 use ITP 3 thereby using 7's better block switching profile without actually moving the whole baseline from 160kbps to 224kbps.

So ITP could never really hurt anything (aside from bitrate), as long as you were using a profile that was higher than the default for a quality level. In fact I associated ITP as a general purpose quality improver because you could activate more short blocks if so desired.

Reply #9
Personally I still haven't encountered this problem myself.. but I'm starting to feel a bit uncomfortable. The thing is that my music collection is huge, so I gotta make sure that I'm ripping it right.

If in doubt, don't use ITP at all.  It only addresses one problem and depending on the genre, it may be quite rare.  So out of your music collection, 98% may sound fine without ITP but there may be the odd couple which exhibit some noise.  Hence you could re-encode those few songs with a higher ITP setting.  Hence, its better to be safe on the majority and re-encode the few, if need be. 

INT, however, seems rather safe to use and will generally reduce pre-echo.  In fact, what INT does is exactly how I tune pre-echo in the QKTune, though tweaking individual values is more flexible than offsetting which is what INT does.

During those listening tests that have verified ITP to be helpful in microattack samples, were there any reports on problems that ITP is causing?

I myself did a successful ABX test with this sample that Rotellian provided

http://rarewares.soniccompression.com/quan...ginalsmall.flac

I mainly focused on the noise generated by the microattacks but didn't pay attention to other artifacts.  It is quite a good sample for getting familiar with noise due to microattacks so encode it normally at q 4 and then do an ABX on it.  Try to listen for that puff of noise.  Then increae ITP and it should reduce a bit.

Feel free to raise anything and give feedback.  It is mainly because of the lack of feedback on ITP that led to my mistake of using it as a recommended option.  Now that listening tests have come to light, I now know that isn't good to use on everything.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=245171"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I did ABX on the sample you gave me:

1 of  1, p = 0.500
2 of  2, p = 0.250
3 of  3, p = 0.125
4 of  4, p = 0.063
5 of  5, p = 0.031
6 of  6, p = 0.016
7 of  7, p = 0.008
8 of  8, p = 0.004
9 of  9, p = 0.002
10 of  10, p < 0.001
11 of  11, p < 0.001
12 of  12, p < 0.001
13 of  13, p < 0.001

It was awfully easy, even at q6...
However, ITP set to 3 solved the problem completely!
BTW, has nyaochi provided samples and settings information?
Not that I'm questioning his credibility, I just couldn't find it on his site.

Reply #10
some of the samples are from ff123's site

http://ff123.net/samples.html

8823 sample was posted by nyaochi somewhere.  Check out my QKTune thread in this subforum since I used it a lot to tune HF hiss reduction.

Reply #11
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=245176"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I also confirmed that ITP significantly improved this kind of samples (e.g., badvilbel.flac and Originalsmall.flac). I could easily ABX it as you did. The effect of ITP is fascinating for them. But these samples may be extreme. I've never found this problem in my music collection.

We should listen to more samples to make a conclusion. That's why I tried to ABX in my private diary. However, I gave up comparing because it was very hard to rate these samples (i.e., samples with/without ITP). They were so close that I had to spend much time for training and listening. I didn't have so much time at that time and gave up  . In my limited numbers of listening samples, I felt strange behavior of ITP. In 8823 sample, for instance,
Code: [Select]
ABC/HR Version 1.0, 6 May 2004
Testname: 8823.flac

1L = 8823.flac-1.1.wav
2R = 8823.flac-1.1-itp3.wav
3L = 8823.flac-1.1-aotuv.wav

---------------------------------------
General Comments:

2R File: 8823.flac-1.1-itp3.wav
2R Rating: 3.0
2R Comment: Noisy (distorted reverberation sound of hi-hat)
3L File: 8823.flac-1.1-aotuv.wav
3L Rating: 4.0
3L Comment: hi-hat
ABX Results:
Original vs 8823.flac-1.1.wav
   3 out of 7, pval = 0.773
Original vs 8823.flac-1.1-itp3.wav
   7 out of 8, pval = 0.035
Original vs 8823.flac-1.1-aotuv.wav
   22 out of 33, pval = 0.040

So I'm not for or against ITP. If you encounter this problem as in Originalsmall.flac frequently in your music collection, the importance of ITP will be high. And that's why I didn't post this on HA. 

EDIT: grammar

Reply #12
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=245176"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I also confirmed that ITP significantly improved this kind of samples (e.g., badvilbel.flac and Originalsmall.flac). I could easily ABX it as you did. The effect of ITP is fascinating for them. But these samples may be extreme. I've never found this problem in my music collection.

We should listen to more samples to make a conclusion. That's why I tried to ABX in my private diary. However, I gave up comparing because it was very hard to rate these samples (i.e., samples with/without ITP). They were so close that I had to spend much time for training and listening. I didn't have so much time at that time and gave up  . In my limited numbers of listening samples, I felt strange behavior of ITP. In 8823 sample, for instance,
Testname: 8823.flac

1L = 8823.flac-1.1.wav
2R = 8823.flac-1.1-itp3.wav
3L = 8823.flac-1.1-aotuv.wav

General Comments:

2R File: 8823.flac-1.1-itp3.wav
2R Rating: 3.0
2R Comment: Noisy (distorted reverberation sound of hi-hat)
3L File: 8823.flac-1.1-aotuv.wav
3L Rating: 4.0
3L Comment: hi-hat
ABX Results:
Original vs 8823.flac-1.1.wav
   3 out of 7, pval = 0.773
Original vs 8823.flac-1.1-itp3.wav
   7 out of 8, pval = 0.035
Original vs 8823.flac-1.1-aotuv.wav
   22 out of 33, pval = 0.040

So I'm not for or against ITP. If you encounter this problem as in Originalsmall.flac frequently in your music collection, the importance of ITP will be high. And that's why I didn't post this on HA. 

EDIT: grammar
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=245207"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I tried to ABX sample 8823... I used q4 with ITP set to 3 and INT set to -15, and I couldn't for the life of me hear any difference. There's not even a point in posting my results as I was just guessing. Now I don't claim to have golden ears, and given that you had 7 out of 8 with that sample, the noises are probably there. But they are far from being obvious (at least on the settings I used), so I really don't think that this one particular sample is enough to draw conclusions for the wide public.
Seriously, if that's what all the fuss is about so I really couldn't care less...

QuantumKnot, god knows that you're my Vorbis pope, but it seems that you got too hysterical over that one report. If there's something that I'm missing here then I'm sorry, but next time that you hear such reports please post the sample and ask more people to test it before updating the recommendations thread.

Reply #13
The ITP switch has been out in the public for a month or so and most of the listening tests reported positive results, in terms of reducing noise in these microattack samples.  Also, GT3b2 makes use of slightly different profiles as well, hence the impression at the time was that ITP is a harmless switch to use.  It also filled in the gap (along with INT) left when retiring GT3b2 and allowed us to use a single encoder recommendation.  Hence I don't see how I could've done things differently, given the situation.  I already delayed updating the thread for quite a few months now, up until 1.1 was released.

The reason I reacted in such a way when reading nyaochi's test result is that it was the first and only report of ITP causing a regression and that was enough reason for me to attach a degree of caution to using it, esp. when it is in a thread about recommended settings.  Before this report of regression, it seemed ok to recommend it since it was a win-win situation anyway ie. you dont have the noise problem in the first place but it doesn't hurt to use it anyway.  But if it causes regression, even in one sample, then we need to be more cautious about recommending for general use.  Since ITP is only useful at fixing a specific problem but adds rather little in general, perhaps it is better to not include it in the recommendations thread.

Reply #14
The ITP switch has been out in the public for a month or so and most of the listening tests reported positive results, in terms of reducing noise in these microattack samples.  Also, GT3b2 makes use of slightly different profiles as well, hence the impression at the time was that ITP is a harmless switch to use.  It also filled in the gap (along with INT) left when retiring GT3b2 and allowed us to use a single encoder recommendation.  Hence I don't see how I could've done things differently, given the situation.   I already delayed updating the thread for quite a few months now, up until 1.1 was released.

The reason I reacted in such a way when reading nyaochi's test result is that it was the first and only report of ITP causing a regression and that was enough reason for me to attach a degree of caution to using it, esp. when it is in a thread about recommended settings.  Before this report of regression, it seemed ok to recommend it since it was a win-win situation anyway ie. you dont have the noise problem in the first place but it doesn't hurt to use it anyway.  But if it causes regression, even in one sample, then we need to be more cautious about recommending for general use.  Since ITP is only useful at fixing a specific problem but adds rather little in general, perhaps it is better to not include it in the recommendations thread.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=245236"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well that's true, but the problem is that we don't know for sure that it's not a win-win situation. This should be tested on a large scale in order to make sure that ITP is the sole guilty for the problem. We don't know for sure that other factors are not involved here. A report on one sample from one guy is a worthless statistical information. Sorry if I'm too strict, but I'm a quality control manager, that's what we do ;-)

Imagine what would happen if we were drawing conclusions based on a single problem report - There were no medicines, no food.. no manufactured products at all.

Now what should be done is that first a large scale test should be performed in order to prove the existence of ITP related noises. If such a problem exist, we should calculate the probability of a microattack vs the probability of ITP noise problems, then we'd know if using ITP on a regular basis is worth the risk.
This could be done based on a poll of samples from every genre.

If you're ready to organise such test, I'm more then willing to contribute.

Reply #15
I should add that nyaochi's result has quite a bit of weight in my opinion, since he is another third-party Vorbis developer.

Reply #16
I should add that nyaochi's result has quite a bit of weight in my opinion, since he is another third-party Vorbis developer.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=245242"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I never said that he's not credible or something.. I was just talking from the statistical aspect.

Anyway, how about the tests which I suggested?

Reply #17
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=245242"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

QuantumKnot, please don't add the comment  I feel the necessity of additional tests if I suggest someone to do or not to do.

BTW, Aoyumi said in my web site that he found a sample which exposed a degression from 1.0.1 to 1.1. That's timely, I think.

Reply #18
After reading this 2004 thread... what was been tested in the ITP area after all?

What do people think nowadays about setting or not this option for general encoding? In case of affirmative answer, what value (for settings) is recommended?

And was the test R.C. suggested ever made by anyone? The probability of a microattack vs the probability of ITP noise problems?
Join //spreadopenmedia.com to promote Opus, Vorbis, FLAC, etc

Reply #19
I think there's no point in using this swith anymore, since aoTuV beta 4 introduces almost the same result as if you'd tinker the 1.1 ITP's to death in search for the proper quality/size and microattacks/noise values.
And it doesn't bloat bitrate, either.
Infrasonic Quartet + Sennheiser HD650 + Microlab Solo 2 mk3. 

Reply #20
(...) aoTuV beta 4 introduces almost the same result as if you'd tinker the 1.1 ITP's to death in search for the proper quality/size and microattacks/noise values.
Is it based on listening tests?

I've just started a small test with one critical sample (castanets2.wav - well known here) only (I must go to bed):

1.1.1 -q6 -q --advanced-encode-option impulse_noisetune=-15
aoTuV beta 4 -q6
aoTuV beta 4 -q7

Testname:

1L = C:\temp2\preecho\castanets2 [1.1.1 q6 IN-15].wav
2R = C:\temp2\preecho\castanets2 [aoTuVb4 q6].wav
3R = C:\temp2\preecho\castanets2 [aoTuVb4 q7].wav

General Comments:

1L File: C:\temp2\preecho\castanets2 [1.1.1 q6 IN-15].wav
1L Rating: 4.8
1L Comment:
2R File: C:\temp2\preecho\castanets2 [aoTuVb4 q6].wav
2R Rating: 4.0
2R Comment:
3R File: C:\temp2\preecho\castanets2 [aoTuVb4 q7].wav
3R Rating: 4.5
3R Comment:
ABX Results:
C:\temp2\preecho\castanets2 [1.1.1 q6 IN-15].wav vs C:\temp2\preecho\castanets2 [aoTuVb4 q6].wav
    5 out of 5, pval = 0.031
C:\temp2\preecho\castanets2 [1.1.1 q6 IN-15].wav vs C:\temp2\preecho\castanets2 [aoTuVb4 q7].wav
    5 out of 5, pval = 0.031
C:\temp2\preecho\castanets2 [aoTuVb4 q6].wav vs C:\temp2\preecho\castanets2 [aoTuVb4 q7].wav
    5 out of 5, pval = 0.031
To sum up: 1.1.1 -q6 impulse noisetune > aoTuV q7 > aoTuV q6.
Difference is not that great. aoTuV -q6 has still audible pre-echo with this critical sample, but it's not really annoying. By far, it was the easiest file to ABX.
aoTuV -q7 and 1.1.1 IN -Q6 are very close each others, and pre-echo was very, very subtle. I've started to find a small difference during ABX test, which wasn't really hard to ABX (it surprises me).

I did this test with the onboard AC97 component of my computer and a Philips HP910 headphone, which are not optimal.
Conclusion (based on one small and critical sample): aoTuV beta has low but audible preecho on critical transients, and pre-echo is lower with impulse noisetune -15 than with aoTuV beta 4.
Wavpack Hybrid: one encoder for all scenarios
WavPack -c4.5hx6 (44100Hz & 48000Hz) ≈ 390 kbps + correction file
WavPack -c4hx6 (96000Hz) ≈ 768 kbps + correction file
WavPack -h (SACD & DSD) ≈ 2400 kbps at 2.8224 MHz

Reply #21
1.1.1 -q6 -q --advanced-encode-option impulse_noisetune=-15

I thought the question was related to impulse_trigger_profile (which increases the frequency of short blocks) rather than impulse_noise_tune (which reduces pre-echo).

Does aoTuV beta 4 have better detection of short blocks on microattack samples?  I seem to remember Aoyumi saying he was steering clear of that bit of code, after reading Monty's comment about patents.

Reply #22
True... Some nights, I'd rather go faster to bed instead of starting a listening test
Wavpack Hybrid: one encoder for all scenarios
WavPack -c4.5hx6 (44100Hz & 48000Hz) ≈ 390 kbps + correction file
WavPack -c4hx6 (96000Hz) ≈ 768 kbps + correction file
WavPack -h (SACD & DSD) ≈ 2400 kbps at 2.8224 MHz

Reply #23
castanets2 encoded by lancer (build 9 jul) based on aotuv beta4 merged libvorbis 1.1.1
with q6 impulse noisetune=-15 have no pre-echo, but average bitrate is ~219

P.S. after some visual (sound forge) test with castanets2 at different q value aotuv beta 4 and official 1.1.1, I see 1.1.1 have less pre-echo