Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMPTSE (Read 309738 times) previous topic - next topic

WMPTSE

Reply #350
hi,
i had trouble importing my m4a files, which i tagged with foobars masstagger, into the media library of wmp10 and wmp11. i tried your plugin aswell as softpointers. both times no date or year was read from the m4a files. i tried mp3tag and other tools to change tha tags with no success. then i looked into your code for this plugin. is it possible that these things do not get read from the files?

WMPTSE

Reply #351
hi,
i had trouble importing my m4a files, which i tagged with foobars masstagger, into the media library of wmp10 and wmp11. i tried your plugin aswell as softpointers. both times no date or year was read from the m4a files. i tried mp3tag and other tools to change tha tags with no success. then i looked into your code for this plugin. is it possible that these things do not get read from the files?

Seems we have a problem with Year/Date handling...

Several users report buggy behaviour...

I'll check this again, but as you said, my code seems pretty crystal clear...
There must be a bug somewhere though, we'll just have to look harder.

MaB_fr

WMPTSE

Reply #352
Year does still seem to be broken. Can't wait for feedback thanks mab!

WMPTSE

Reply #353
Year does still seem to be broken. Can't wait for feedback thanks mab!

!!!!!Just for WMPTSE's users to know!!!!!!!

Seems like WMP11 has some deep bug or at least big incompatibility with open directshow codec.

The faulty behaviour is located around seeking :
- when playing an entire library (big playlist) no seeking for 'extended' files (and no length/bitrate/duration => directshow codec problem);
- when playing a small playlist (i couldn't find the correct number as it seems so random), some files do work, others don't (??? directshow codec or WMP11 ???)...

I've tested with 1810 WavPack files. Best compression mode. No matter the size.

No link with WMPTSE (with or without WMPTSE, it doesn't work correctly), but as every WMPTSE could be tempted to go with WMP11 :

I must STRONGLY advise you to stay with WMP10 if you need correct seeking...

The Year problem is cornered. I'm a bit busy these days so it may take a while before i debug it. You can scream at me if it's top priority for you : the more scream, the more guilty i'll feel    , and the more quickly i correct it  .

MaB_fr

WMPTSE

Reply #356
Hm...sorry for the confusion...it said OGG codecs and I assumed that included a flac direct show filter....

I havn't tried it yet.

WMPTSE

Reply #357
Hm...sorry for the confusion...it said OGG codecs and I assumed that included a flac direct show filter....

I havn't tried it yet.

I'm not using FLAC neither, so i'm counting on you to try...

Bad news for the YEAR/DATE addicts.

Seems like WMP11 is simply forbidding me to modify it.
I will try to use a more brutal approach, no result guaranteed...

Their was a "release bug" in FLAC support. I've added a dependancy to microsoft runtime by updating with the new 1.1.3, so you'll find WMPTSE 1.3 with working FLAC 1.1.4 support under Vista and non-"msvcrt71" compatible systems.

WMPTSE 1.3 :
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wmptagext...use_mirror=osdn

Enjoy

MaB_fr

WMPTSE

Reply #358
"WMP encountered problem while playing file"

ugh..no go won't even play!

WMPTSE

Reply #359
"WMP encountered problem while playing file"

ugh..no go won't even play!

It would be surprising that WMPTSE could alter playing experience...

The worst you could have is WMP crashing and a message on the next load...

When did this message appear ?
For what file ? Encoded with ?
Was WMPTSE activated ?
With which option was WMPTSE activated ?

MaB_fr

WMPTSE

Reply #360

Hmm....this may be solved:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/software/divx-i...-now-234792.php

Talks about OGG in link

I guess you're talking about this http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/

As i'm not using OGG, i can't test it right away. Did you try it, what were the results ?

MaB_fr

Sorry....that error was in response to this

not the latest version of WMPTSE

WMPTSE

Reply #361

Hmm....this may be solved:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/software/divx-i...-now-234792.php

Talks about OGG in link

I guess you're talking about this http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/

As i'm not using OGG, i can't test it right away. Did you try it, what were the results ?

MaB_fr

Sorry....that error was in response to this

not the latest version of WMPTSE

Don't wake-up the debug beast   

MaB_fr

WMPTSE

Reply #362
Don't wake-up the debug beast   

MaB_fr

Shame on me !

I've introduced a completely broken 1.3.
For that, i'm sorry.

By trying to enforce the "Year" tag in WMP11, i've messed up my own source code and was forced to fall back no the 1.2 source to get a working WMPTSE back.

The second bad news is i've uncovered a bug in FLAC and Vorbis support that users didn't seem to notice : when FLAC or Vorbis number of files in the MediaLibrary is small (less than 40 items in my config), WMPTSE end up in the old infinite loop reentrant algorithm problem (due to WMP Plug-in single threadness).

To avoid some users the 100% CPU problem, i have disabled the "When browsing library" option in 1.4.

For APE tagged files users (MPC, WavPack, APE,...) or user not afraid of 100% cpu usage risk, it is available in the registry in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\piPOol\WMPTSE". Change "AutoRefreshOnBrowse" from "0" to "1".

You will be able to download 1.4 version very soon.

I'm working with a developper to give better the vorbis support.
It should be ready around the 24th of February.

See you.

MaB_fr

WMPTSE

Reply #363
Hi,

WMPTSE 1.4 is available right here :

Direct Link

FLAC support repaired, and the "infinite loop" problem (100% cpu usage when playing a file) is disabled (problem with "When browsing a file" option).

I'm glad to anounce that Vorbis support will be taken care of by Christophe Browet (koying on sourceforge) from now on.

What it will mean for WMPTSE's users is :
- first : any problem with Vorbis/OGG files will be his responsability
- second : you will get Vorbis write support in the future

So yes, this is good news for vorbis/ogg users:)

MaB_fr

WMPTSE

Reply #364
WMPTSE is a really helpfull tool!

Is it possible to intigrate the FLAC album art (cover) support in one of the next versions?

WMPTSE

Reply #365

Is it possible to intigrate the FLAC album art (cover) support in one of the next versions?

It will be a 2.0 feature (see earlier post in this thread for more information).
In technical details, it will be a "add a covert art file in the folder" hack as there's no documentation on MSDN for ways to change WMP album art MediaInfo...

WMPTSE 1.x will live an old life before 2.0 is ready.

We will have Vorbis write support, and if any MPEG4/iTunes files developer is interested and develop the MPEG4 write support, i will THEN consider WMPTSE 1.x as feature complete...
Plus, i'm thinking about a special version for WMP11 which will be less hacky and maybe more featurefull.

So, album art support is not for today (you've got the excellent "Album Art Fixer" for this if you really need it now ).

Thanks for the feedback anyway 

MaB_fr

WMPTSE

Reply #366

It will be a 2.0 feature (see earlier post in this thread for more information).
In technical details, it will be a "add a covert art file in the folder" hack as there's no documentation on MSDN for ways to change WMP album art MediaInfo...

WMPTSE 1.x will live an old life before 2.0 is ready.

We will have Vorbis write support, and if any MPEG4/iTunes files developer is interested and develop the MPEG4 write support, i will THEN consider WMPTSE 1.x as feature complete...
Plus, i'm thinking about a special version for WMP11 which will be less hacky and maybe more featurefull.

So, album art support is not for today (you've got the excellent "Album Art Fixer" for this if you really need it now ).

Thanks for the feedback anyway 

MaB_fr

So...ogg tag reading is broken on 1.4 and wmp11??... or is it just my machine maybe??
Can't get it to read the tag for ogg files

/Regards
n

WMPTSE

Reply #367
So...ogg tag reading is broken on 1.4 and wmp11??... or is it just my machine maybe??
/Regards
n

It reads .ogg tags very well. While browsing the Media Library, you have to click "Refresh Now!" in the plug-in's options to force it to read the files' tags. If it still refuses doing so, then wipe the entire Media Library and make it add all .oggs again by selecting "Monitor Folders..." in Options/Media Library and clicking the OK button in the follow-up "Add to Media Library" window. It should add all Vorbis files then, including the tags.

Note that the plug-in tends to eat exorbitant amounts of memory during the scanning process, possibly resulting in WMP locking up. If that happens, restart the player, enable the plug-in again and continue scanning. After its done, click "Refresh Now!" to make sure all tags are read by WMP; at least in my case a few files still didn't display any tags after the scan had been completed, an issue which was fixed by the refresh.

WMPTSE

Reply #368

/Regards
n

It reads .ogg tags very well. While browsing the Media Library, you have to click "Refresh Now!" in the plug-in's options to force it to read the files' tags. If it still refuses doing so, then wipe the entire Media Library and make it add all .oggs again by selecting "Monitor Folders..." in Options/Media Library and clicking the OK button in the follow-up "Add to Media Library" window. It should add all Vorbis files then, including the tags.

Note that the plug-in tends to eat exorbitant amounts of memory during the scanning process, possibly resulting in WMP locking up. If that happens, restart the player, enable the plug-in again and continue scanning. After its done, click "Refresh Now!" to make sure all tags are read by WMP; at least in my case a few files still didn't display any tags after the scan had been completed, an issue which was fixed by the refresh.

Yeah, the "Refresh now" button is not really user friendly. WMPTSE 1.5 will expose a progress bar when using this button. For the locking-up, WMP plug-in are single threaded only (MS restriction) so i have no way of doing otherwise.

The memory problem you describe is strange, at worst, WMPTSE should reserve "size of all the meta information in ONE file + ~4KB". You could be in a reentrant loop and have twice the amount, but it should not exceed ~4MB of datas (and that's a very LARGE amount of metadata).

What kind of file are you using ?

MaB_fr

WMPTSE

Reply #369
Ogg Vorbis. In my case the plug-in seemed to cache a lot more data than only the Vorbis Comments, resulting in Windows Media Player 11 eating up the whole swap file, which is statically set to 1.5 GB (twice the 768 MB of RAM available on this computer). After a while adding the entire collection of 253 albums to the Media Library at once caused Windows XP to send a notification that the swap file had been too small and therefore its size had been increased. Note that this only happened during the process of adding Vorbis encodings to the Media Library, not while reading the tags of files (via "Refresh Now!") that had already been added to it before.

The memory leak could easily be tracked in Windows' task manager during scanning, wmplayer.exe was reported to be using a lot more more than 200.000 K of RAM (don't remember the exact figures anymore) when I finally killed the process due to stability issues caused by it. The swap file extended by Windows XP was filled with around 1.8 GB of temporary data in this moment. At least the files which had been added weren't lost because of this measure, allowing me to complete the scan in a second attempt.

Besides, I remember having had exactly the same problems with FLAC using the 1.2 version of your plug-in, though data not handled by it, like the few MP3s and WMAs found on my machine, never caused any issues when being added to the Media Library.

The problem might be related to certain hardware/software configurations, hence my system's specs:

Intel Pentium IV @2.6 Ghz
768 MB of RAM, 1.5 GB swap file
ATI Radeon 9700 XT (special Dell brand) with Omegadrivers 3.8.330
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2, 5.12.4.1196 drivers
Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2, including all available security updates
Windows Media Player 11

The system usually is a very clean and stable one, since it's regularly scanned for viruses, adware and spyware as well as erronous and invalid entries in the registry. Processes running in the background, which could interfere with wmplayer.exe, are kept at a minimum. Nonetheless, here's a list of the ones loaded at system startup:

Code: [Select]
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 20:47:37, on 27.02.2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16414)

Running processes:
D:\WINXP\System32\smss.exe
D:\WINXP\system32\winlogon.exe
D:\WINXP\system32\services.exe
D:\WINXP\system32\lsass.exe
D:\WINXP\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
D:\WINXP\system32\svchost.exe
D:\WINXP\System32\svchost.exe
D:\WINXP\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
D:\WINXP\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
D:\WINXP\system32\spoolsv.exe
D:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
D:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
D:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
D:\WINXP\System32\rsvp.exe
D:\WINXP\System32\snmp.exe
D:\WINXP\System32\svchost.exe
D:\WINXP\Explorer.EXE
D:\Programme\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
D:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
D:\Programme\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe
D:\WINXP\system32\wuauclt.exe
D:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Tobias\Eigene Dateien\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - D:\Programme\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "D:\Programme\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] D:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [type32] "D:\Programme\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe"
O16 - DPF: {5ED80217-570B-4DA9-BF44-BE107C0EC166} (Windows Live Safety Center Base Module) - [url=http://cdn.scan.onecare.live.com/resource/download/scanner/wlscbase9602.cab]http://cdn.scan.onecare.live.com/resource/...lscbase9602.cab[/url]
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - [url=http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1158063345593]http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...b?1158063345593[/url]
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - D:\WINXP\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - D:\WINXP\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - D:\WINXP\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - D:\WINXP\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - D:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - D:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - D:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - D:\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® NMS (NMSSvc) - Intel Corporation - D:\WINXP\System32\NMSSvc.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - D:\WINXP\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe

WMPTSE

Reply #370
The memory leak could easily be tracked in Windows' task manager during scanning, wmplayer.exe was reported to be using a lot more more than 200.000 K of RAM (don't remember the exact figures anymore) when I finally killed the process due to stability issues caused by it. The swap file extended by Windows XP was filled with around 1.8 GB of temporary data in this moment. At least the files which had been added weren't lost because of this measure, allowing me to complete the scan in a second attempt.

Besides, I remember having had exactly the same problems with FLAC using the 1.2 version of your plug-in, though data not handled by it, like the few MP3s and WMAs found on my machine, never caused any issues when being added to the Media Library.

The problem might be related to certain hardware/software configurations, hence my system's specs:

It must be a memory leak in the Vorbis tag support.
Did you try to add all your files without WMPTSE activated by unloading it (just to be sure it's WMPTSE problem and not some overheating of WMP) ?

Koying (the man now responsible for vorbis support) is on vacation right now. The solution may be delayed a bit.

Are you sure that the same behaviour occured with flac files ? It's very surprising as FLAC support is based exclusivelly on libFLAC.

Thanks for the report

MaB_fr

WMPTSE

Reply #371
Some more extensive testing revealed that actually an erronous installation of the illiminable DirectShow filters seems to have been the cause for the issues described above. Prior to un- and reinstalling them I had completely wiped the Media Library and scanned nothing but the FLAC archive on my external drive. Surprise, the swap file kept growing up to 1.1 GB until I stopped the process. Same thing with the next attempt when I scanned the Vorbis folder once more.

Then I reinstalled the DirectShow filters and tried once again. No problems anymore, adding both Vorbis and FLAC doesn't cause any memory leaks and stability issues.

Besides, talking about illiminable: ffdshow, which is installed on my machine, features a Tremor decoder which for some unknown reason isn't used by Windows Media Player to decode .ogg, although it's enabled in the audio decoder configuration. With illiminable being uninstalled Windows Media Player is unable to both add and play Vorbis back, though it properly uses ffdshow for all other kinds of formats I've tested so far. In Vorbis' case ffdshow does nothing but further progressing the uncompressed PCM data handed to it by the illiminable filters, whose Vorbis support doesn't allow seeking in both the latest stable and unstable builds. Wouldn't be a problem for me since Winamp is my audio player of choice, with foobar being my favoured transcoding and RG-scanning whore, but a familiy member prefers using Windows Media Player instead, even with its currently problematic Vorbis playback capabilities.

WMPTSE

Reply #372
Some more extensive testing revealed that actually an erronous installation of the illiminable DirectShow filters seems to have been the cause for the issues described above. Prior to un- and reinstalling them I had completely wiped the Media Library and scanned nothing but the FLAC archive on my external drive. Surprise, the swap file kept growing up to 1.1 GB until I stopped the process. Same thing with the next attempt when I scanned the Vorbis folder once more.

Then I reinstalled the DirectShow filters and tried once again. No problems anymore, adding both Vorbis and FLAC doesn't cause any memory leaks and stability issues.

Besides, talking about illiminable: ffdshow, which is installed on my machine, features a Tremor decoder which for some unknown reason isn't used by Windows Media Player to decode .ogg, although it's enabled in the audio decoder configuration. With illiminable being uninstalled Windows Media Player is unable to both add and play Vorbis back, though it properly uses ffdshow for all other kinds of formats I've tested so far. In Vorbis' case ffdshow does nothing but further progressing the uncompressed PCM data handed to it by the illiminable filters, whose Vorbis support doesn't allow seeking in both the latest stable and unstable builds. Wouldn't be a problem for me since Winamp is my audio player of choice, with foobar being my favoured transcoding and RG-scanning whore, but a familiy member prefers using Windows Media Player instead, even with its currently problematic Vorbis playback capabilities.

Ok, so kying will have a nice quiet return after his holidays
Thanks for trying to clear-up the problem, we now know this problem exist, by what it is caused and how to avoid it. In the name of all WMPTSE's Vorbis users : THANKS

I'm aware of the seeking problem with DirectShow codec & WMP11.

I'm working with Toff (from the CoreWavPack filter) to locate and try to eradicate it (if it's not a WMP11 bug).
(if... ) And once the problem resolved, will ensure that all codec developper for filetypes supported by WMPTSE will have the proper information about it.

The only advice i can give you if this family member really really needs seeking is to downgrade to WMP10...

Also, just to make things clear, I must emphasize the fact that WMPTSE is in no way in charge of playing and seeking and any other "audio data" related task.

I repeat : WMPTSE handles Tags only (it also occasionally enforce file type support, but i can forever digress where this responsibility should really lay in).

Regards,

MaB_fr

WMPTSE

Reply #373
Great glad were making progress.

I forgot to ask however, does WMPTSE support ReplainGain headers, or what WMP plugin does for FLAC?

WMPTSE

Reply #374
Ohmygosh! a temporary negro hath found the (temporary) solution to the flac seeking bug

Using Illuminable's latest beta, I discovered accidently that if you have the flac files in an .m3u (no matter what #ext format or just simple listing) seeking actually WORKS AS INTENDED. Why this is I have no clue, and just proves more of microsofts lack of understanding

but yea, start making playlists if you want to seek in WMP11