Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Group by different bits per sample as one group  (Read 1341 times) previous topic - next topic

Group by different bits per sample as one group

I have the playlist view grouped by album artist, album, date, codec, samplerate and bits per sample. The syntax looks like this:

Code: [Select]
%album artist% - %album% '['%date%']' - %codec% | $if2($div(%samplerate%,1000)$ifequal($div($mod(%samplerate%,1000),100),0,,.$div($mod(%samplerate%,1000),100)) kHz,)$if(%__bitspersample%, | %__bitspersample% Bits)

That works like a charm for a long time since one track of a new album I bought as digital download has different bits per sample. Now there are three groups for the whole album. Is it possible to group the track in one group but keep the the bits per sample information in the group header?

Re: Group by different bits per sample as one group

Reply #1
That is just how grouping works - when items have different tags / info, it creates a new group. I guess you could convert the one different track to make it the same bit depth as the rest (?)

Reply #2
That is just how grouping works - when items have different tags / info, it creates a new group. I guess you could convert the one different track to make it the same bit depth as the rest (?)

That is a good idea. So I have to convert a 16bit FLAC / WAV 44.1kHz file to 24bit 44.1kHz. How can I do that with foobar2000?

Reply #3
Set the bit depth manually instead of letting it do it automatically. It will be promoted to 24 bits on output, with the extra bits filled with padding.

Reply #4
If you need more info see the Converter documentation...

Right-click track > Convert > '...' -

- under "Output Format" select FLAC and 'Output bit depth': 24-bit.

- under "Destination" select a temporary output folder, and 'Name format': %filename%

- under "Processing" should say "None".

- under "Other" select 'Transfer metadata (tags)' and any other options.

Back on the main page click Convert and it saves a copy of the file in the output folder. You can backup the original (if you prefer) or just replace it in the album folder.

Reply #5
Thank you. It works. And the file size is the same.

Reply #6
And the file size is the same.
Yes, FLAC (and WavPack and TAK) recognize wasted bits at the low end when they see them, so even if the .flac file will have a header saying it is a 24-bit file, then all of the encoded blocks will have the information saying "only 16 bits here, the rest are zero!". Or less if there are actually less throughout the block (like if there is a totally quiet second in the audio).

Not all codecs can do this. ALAC and Monkey's don't. I tested a file with ALAC, and the 705.6 kbit/s of extra dumb zeroes added to the uncompressed file by going 24-bit, translates to precisely the same compressed. So while FLAC compresses it to nothing, ALAC is not able to compress that at all. But testing Monkey's ... it is even worse.