Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Good programs for a few things.. (Read 5906 times) previous topic - next topic

Good programs for a few things..

I'm quite new to the current windows generation and which programs to use and what is good. So far I'm using EAC and Foobar2000 which is working perfectly.. What I have left I am looking for is a good mixer with a taskbar applet I can use the mousewheel on, a good DVD player, a all-purpose zip/rar/tar.gz compression tool, a music tagger/file renamer, and a DVD ripper/encoder. If you guys could help me with these or link me to a site with good recommendations, I'd love you

Thanks!

Reply #1
I'm curious - why did you leave Linux?  Most people go to Linux, but I don't hear of many coming back from it!

As for your programs...

DVD Player - PowerDVD or TheaterTek
zip/rar/tar.gz - WinRAR
music tagger/file renamer - Foobar can actually tag for you.  Other then that I hear things about Tag & Rename and Helium2.  There is always Case's Tag with the Tagger frontend.
DVD ripper/encoder - can't help you here.  Never tried it at all.

- Agent 86

Reply #2
For compression/decompression, use 7-zip! It supports tar.bz2,tar.gz et cetera, most important if yaou are running Linux, i don't know may progs that support bz2. It's also completly free!!

www.7-zip.com

Cheers,

Kristian

Reply #3
I don't like 7-zip for tar.gz and tar.bz2. It can't untar AND unbz2/ungz simultaneously, like WinRAR does.

Besides, 7z doesn't support RAR compressing, and he asked for a "compression tool"

DVD ripper: my favorite is DVD Decrypter

Reply #4
I don't like 7-zip for tar.gz and tar.bz2. It can't untar AND unbz2/ungz simultaneously, like WinRAR does.

Ah,

The reason i never mentioned it was, last time i used WinRAR was literally years ago, it either didn't support bz2 then r i didn't configure it properly!

I guess WinRAR is an ok choice then, i may check it out, because the point you metioned about tar.bz2 is a bit annoying, i VERY rarley compress though (data!)

Cheers,

Kristian

Reply #5
Hi meff!
My personal choices.

Compression tool: WinRAR 3
DVDPlayback: PowerDVD
MP3 Tagger: Tag&Rename
DVDRipper: SmartRipper
DivX Encoding Tools: GordianKnot

(For downloading SmartRipper and GordianKnot : http://www.doom9.org)

Best regards.
b:.

Reply #6
For unpacking a meriad of different archive formats including bz2, rar, tar, etc., the freeware archiver Iceows is rather impressive - http://www.iceows.com/

Reply #7
Right now I´m using TagScanner 4.7 (beta build 471) for tagging and renaming purposes. It´s free, it´s russian, and has a really slick interface.

you can find it here:
http://xdev.narod.ru/tagscan_e.htm

I´m also curious about that Linux to Win migration...