Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: No HDCD Playback with Monkey's Audio? (Read 4914 times) previous topic - next topic

No HDCD Playback with Monkey's Audio?

Is it possible there is no HDCD playback with Monkey's Audio Format?
I play the ape-file and there is no HDCD indication.
The same File as wav-Format it was reporting HDCD detected in the status bar.

Reply #1
Currently, the only inputs which use the new decode postprocessor service are CDDA, WAV, FLAC, and WavPack. Others will follow.

Reply #2
Currently, the only inputs which use the new decode postprocessor service are CDDA, WAV, FLAC, and WavPack. Others will follow.

If I decompress the APE back to WAV, would the HDCD information be lost? (lost when WAV -> APE ?)

Reply #3
If you have foo_hdcd 1.5 installed, converting from WAV to anything else will decode the HDCD information and it will be plain 24 bit sample data instead. If you convert externally, or without foo_hdcd, it will be retained.

Currently, converting APE back to WAV, or to any other lossless format, will retain the HDCD information, since the Monkey's Audio component does not support the decoder yet.

Reply #4
If you have foo_hdcd 1.5 installed, converting from WAV to anything else will decode the HDCD information and it will be plain 24 bit sample data instead. If you convert externally, or without foo_hdcd, it will be retained.

So, can you add the option to enable/disable HDCD decoder?
🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!

Reply #5
I suppose I will have to, as well as a switch for disabling the DTS decoder that follows the same design. Until such time as the caller can specify whether inputs should use these decoders or not, which would make sense for the converter.

Reply #6
Yes, I think the Converter needs a setting to turn on/off or skip the decoder postprocessing. That way it will work for all (future) postprocessors as well. That setting should be stored in the Converter presets as well IMO.
Good that someone is already working on the converter for the next release 
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #7
Sorry, all my files are Monkey's Audio. It's horrible to convert all Audio-Files to another Format.
Is it possible you let follow the Monkey's Audio Format use the new decode postprocessor service?

Reply #8
Are is topic dead? Please, make somthing with .APE format and HDCD trouble!
PEACE, Me.