Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ripping killed my Plextor? (Read 3005 times) previous topic - next topic

Ripping killed my Plextor?

I thought this might have been a one off thing - quite some time ago my PX-708 died on me while ripping a CD with EAC.  It was long enough ago that I don't remember which CD it was, but I do remember that it seemed to have trouble reading it. At some point I gave up (aborted the ripping) and found that it then would not recognise any disc I put in it, even ones that ripped perfectly fine before.

The drive was in it's last week of warranty, so I managed to send it off for repair, though my local distributor took their time with it.  When I got it back it worked for about a week before the same problem hit again.

Luckly I was able to pick up a PX-716 at about the same time.  I've mostly kept it in it's original packaging except when I wanted to rip a few discs.

Now about a month ago, I took it back out of it's box to rip a few new CDs after about a year of storage.  The first 3 or so went fine, but the next one I put in gave problems.  Ripping (again with EAC) was going very slowly, and I figured I'd stop, just on the off chance of damaging the Plextor.  None of these CDs had any sort of copy protection on them.  I then tried to rip another CD, but the drive wouldn't recognise it at all.  After trying another one, I thought I'd retry one of the CDs I'd just successfully ripped... and found that the drive didn't recognise that either. 

I switched back to the Samsung SH-S223R that was my day to day optical unit, and it ripped the disk that killed my Plextor without a hitch.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them before?  I've killed two Plextors just by trying to rip a CD.  Surely this can't be normal?

Also, is there anything I can do with the Plextor now?  It's long since out of warranty, so that isn't an option.

Reply #1
Drives wear down and eventually die. I have ripped thousands of discs and replaced several drives. But it is usually a gradual process. The drive takes longer and longer to recognise the disc and begins to seek like crazy.

I did however one time have a virus that messed with the drive making it unable to rip anything.

Reply #3
Well, I could certainly understand it if I'd ripped thousands of disks, or even hundreds, but it was less than a dozen.  Also it went from ripping one disk easily to having no end of trouble with the next.  The only thing I can think of is I have terrible luck with Plextors.

Has there ever been some sort of attempt to repair optical drives?