Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which soundcard for general purpose (gaming/music) PC? (Read 27297 times) previous topic - next topic

Which soundcard for general purpose (gaming/music) PC?

Reply #76

Did yoy try setting SPDIF output to PCM?
http://www.htomega.com/faq4.html

Ah good find, thank you. I will give that a try when I get home. Under the vista options there is no PCM options (unless the WMA is their name for PCM), I will try installing HT's propertry software and see if that helps.

If that doesn't work, I may just hook the speakers up using analogue. The DAC on my sub isn't as good as the one in the Xonar or Striker, at least it doesn't look as good from the raw specs.

Switch to PCM in the striker driver panel works! Unfortunatly I now am plague with pops whenever a sound starts, ie if I am playing a song it is fine, but if I stop the song and hit play, I hear *pop* music. This is exactly like what used to happen to me with my audigy 2 card under ubuntu. In the newer versions I can click some obscure setting in the multimedia settings to fix it, I will have to look up what the setting name was. It may be related, it may not be. In the meantime does anyone have any suggestions?

Which soundcard for general purpose (gaming/music) PC?

Reply #77
So when I use an eSata drive my sound playback in foobar becomes noisy and eventually craps out.

This is such a mountain of wierd stuff.

If I switch to analog cables am I going to have an inherently worse sound or is it just related to the quality of your DAC, wither it be in the receiver or in the sound card?