Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FB2K won't read/display Beatport .AIFF files with ID3v2.4 tags (Read 853 times) previous topic - next topic

FB2K won't read/display Beatport .AIFF files with ID3v2.4 tags

Folks, first let me apologize if this has been discussed before, but the HA search feature is atrocious IMHO.

So I got a bunch of lossless .AIFF files from Beatport, which in the past were always fine. For my recent order fb2k showed ZERO metadata for any of them.
According to Beatport's support, they use ID3v2.4 to tag their .AIFFs and Mp3tag 3.20 confirms that these AIFFs are indeed ID3v2.4 tagged, including albumart (as expected). I tried my trusty old fb2k v1.1.7 (there reasons I still use it), as well as the latest realease off the Windows Store. BOTH showed no metadata tags, but the store version at least showed albumart.

Here are my questions:
1. Does 1.1.7 not support ID3v2.4? This could be tricky, as moving to a newer version of fb2k will force me to open another bug/issue here.
2. If this were a general ID3v2.4 issue, I'm sure others would have reported it. Does this only occur with uncompressed PCM in .AIFF containers? (this is what Beatport offers as a lossless format)
3. Can I do anything to help fix this?

{link removed]

Re: FB2K won't read/display Beatport .AIFF files with ID3v2.4 tags

Reply #1
Update: just tried V2 [ARM64] and it reads the tags and albumart correctly again.

Does that mean there was/is a general issue with ID3v2.4 on <V2?

Reply #2
The sample you uploaded is shown here by both Kid3 3.91 and Mp3tag 3.20 as having ID3v2.3 tags, not 2.4, and both Foobar 1.6.16 and v2 64-bit show the tags, album art, and play the song.  Could you have uploaded the wrong example??

FWIW, an AIFF (lossless, PCM) tagged with ID3v2.4 I have plays and shows tags fine in the Foobars above.

Reply #3
Thanks for the quick reply.

Indeed, the file was modified to IDv2.3. This MUST have been by fb2k v2, when I added Replaygain to it.
No other other app has accessed that file. Is that supposed to happen?

Anyways, I re-downloaded the original from Beatport again: [link removed]
This time, it is unmodified and mp3tag reports it as ID3v2.4.

Foobar 1.1.7 shows no metadata whatsoever and 1.6.16 (MSFT store release) shows albumart only - but no metadata otherwise.
Only v2 shows all metadata and albumart as expected.

Would you mind testing again please?

Reply #4
With the 2.4 file, Foobar 1.6.16 (NOT the Microsoft Store version) shows all tags and art and plays the file (as does v2).

As far as the replay gain tags added by Foobar in the first example, when asked to add tags it will use the format specified by the user in Preferences/Advanced/Tagging/Mp3/ID3v2 revision, but there is no such setting for AIFF specifically.  The ReplayGain 1.0 specification states though:

"From the standpoint of metadata storage, each audio file format presents a unique situation. There are three favored schemes defined for storage of ReplayGain metadata: ID3v2, Vorbis comments and APEv2. A survey of file formats is listed below with metadata schemes in order of preference for each:
        .aiff, .aif, .aifc (Apple Interchange File Format) – ID3v2 (in "ID3" IFF chunk) "

So Foobar must be using the setting in Advanced anyway, and re-writes the rest of the tag format accordingly.

Reply #5
With the 2.4 file, Foobar 1.6.16 (NOT the Microsoft Store version) shows all tags and art and plays the file (as does v2).
Hmmm ... all? A screenshot:

Bottom-left: Mp3tag also displays files like UNIQUEFILEID.
Top-left: fb2k shows art.
Middle: fb2k view
Right: WavPack 5.6.2 and the recently posted 5.6.4 can import ID3v2.4 as well, but fewer than fb2k can handle. (WavPack of course stores them all for future restoration of the entire shebang, but it can tag some of the ID3v2.4 tags. Which ones and why ... I have no idea.)

Edit: does the FILETYPE tag, value MPG/3, indicate that it is lossy-sourced? :-o

Reply #6
Hmmm ... all? A screenshot:
I'd still give Foobar a round of applause seeing that taking into account alternate naming conventions seems to have missed only UNIQUEFILEID and FILETYPE.

Reply #7
@sveakul thanks for testing.
The plot thickens. Yesterday, this was what fb2k 1.6.16 (store) gave me - see attachment.

Today, after re-installing from the store, all tags seem to be working, both v2.3 and v2.4.

1.1.7 continues to not work tho... and I guess that means 1.1.7 finally bites the dust.

Besides, I'll go straight to v2, which is available as an ARM64 native app for my Snapdragons. (which runs amazingly fast, btw. example: Replygain scans quicker than the progressbar.)

PS. HA usability is atrocious. No direct pasting of images, search sucks... seems stuck in the early '00s. New home due for fb2k?