Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What distributed computing project are you participating in?

United Devices
[ 6 ] (28.6%)
Distributed.net
[ 2 ] (9.5%)
Seti@Home
[ 2 ] (9.5%)
Folding@Home
[ 3 ] (14.3%)
Other, not listed (please specify below)
[ 0 ] (0%)
None
[ 8 ] (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Topic: Distributed Computing (Read 2542 times) previous topic - next topic

Distributed Computing

These are just the most popular projects I could think of.

Personally, I have been running United Devices for nearly two years. I have about 2,5 years of CPU time, but at certain points I had more than 6 machines working 24/7 (to put the competition (ie. my friends) behind me ).

I chose UD because I think they serve a very nice purpose (cure for cancer) as opposed to cracking some silly encryption (not that encryption is silly, of course), or finding E.T. (like that is likely to happen).

What are you running, and what are your motives? If you are not running anything, then why? Did you specifically choose not to, or have you simply not gotten around to it? Or didn't you know such projects existed?

Please don't turn this thread into an advertising thread for your team and/or favorite project.

Distributed Computing

Reply #1
I don't run anything, because I have my Athlon set to disconnect from the system bus when idle, which lowers idle CPU temp to 35 C from 52 C when at 100% utilization.  This in turn lets the case run cooler, which lets the power-supply variable-speed fan run at lower RPMs, which makes my computer quieter.  Not to mention saves lots of power (~5-10 Watts when disconnected vs. ~70 Watts when connected for the CPU).

Distributed Computing

Reply #2
I'm also running the UD client on several machines (including friends) and have so far about six years of CPU time. While I am tempted to join one of the @home projects (thinking of either seti or folding) I personally wouldn't join one of the decrypting projects: I think they only prove the obvious, ie that with brute computing power you can crack any encryption.

So while my share of what I contribute is small, at least I want to know it went into the right hands...ie medical reserach. Sooner or later, everyone will benefit from that