Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Running Foobar in Linux (Read 644801 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #575
Foobar started crashing while dragging a window on latest staging versions (~ above 7.4), 7.0 stable is fine, can anyone confirm or is it config related?

Reply #576
@ michtar

I had the same problem.
Adjustment with the cursor at the bottom right.

But now there is no problem.
The wine version is 7.11 (7.10).
I don't know which version improved it.
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, Bose QuietComfort 45 (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #577
Still there for me with 7.11.

Reply #578
There is no problem when it is a double arrow.

I'm using.

KDE neon User - 5.25
Linux Mint 20.03 Mate
Ubuntu 22.04LTS Cinnamon
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, Bose QuietComfort 45 (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #579
Correct: Linux Mint 20.03 Mate
Crash during playback.

---
KDE neon User - 5.25
Linux Mint 20.03 Mate
Ubuntu 22.04LTS Cinnamon

Crash during playback. With various operations (Menu, Shift + File ...)
It ’s more serious than I expected.
Wine 7.11 is terrible.

Reply #580
Correct: Linux Mint 20.03 Mate
Crash during playback.

---
KDE neon User - 5.25
Linux Mint 20.03 Mate
Ubuntu 22.04LTS Cinnamon

Crash during playback. With various operations (Menu, Shift + File ...)
It ’s more serious than I expected.
Wine 7.11 is terrible.

Right after upgrading to 7.11 staging, I suffer constant crashes too.

I changed to 7.11 devel and I hadn't had a single crash.

Ubuntu 22.04 and wine 7.11 devel from deb https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Emulators:/Wine:/Debian/xUbuntu_22.04 ./

Reply #581
Yes, Wine 7.11 devel works for me too.

Reply #582
Those having issues with newer versions of Wine. at least on Linux Mint (and the like) a easy fix is just to use Foobar2000 through PlayOnLinux as then you can select older versions of Wine. so from PlayOnLinux's main menu select 'Tools > Manage Wine versions' you select 32bit(x86) or 64bit(amd64) tab and they are contained within their own Wine prefix separate from the standard system installation in a nice easy-to-use manner. currently the newest Wine versions available through PlayOnLinux are... 64bit = 6.17, 32bit = 7.11.

NOTE: I am currently using '6.13-staging' 64bit version for Foobar2000.

with that said... I get it's good to report issues with the newest Wine and all though. but at least as long as older versions continue to work for the foreseeable future, then we ain't got too much to worry about by using the older versions of Wine ;)

p.s. I tend to run my limited amount of Windows programs (Foobar2000/ImgBurn/KProbe etc) through PlayOnLinux, which keeps things separated from the standard system installed Wine and then run the limited amount of games I play through the standard system installed Wine (i.e. ".wine" configuration folder) paired with Lutris and the GloriousEggroll runner for Lutris. this way if anything gets out of whack with the standard ".wine" configuration folder it won't have any negative effect on the PlayOnLinux installed programs.
For music I suggest (using Foobar2000)... MP3 (LAME) @ V5 (130kbps). NOTE: using on AGPTEK-U3 as of Mar 18th 2021. I use 'fatsort' (on Linux) so MP3's are listed in proper order on AGPTEK-U3.

Reply #583
Hello,

I'm trying to unify the font rendering in Foobar with the rest of my desktop. As my default font, I'm using the Noto font family. In regedit, I switched the value from Tahoma to Noto Sans in HKLM -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> CurrentVersion -> FontSubstitutes: MS Shell Dlg. winecfg reflects the change but winecfg compared to F2K looks like this:

The font rendered looks different between those 2 programs.

When poking around in F2K settings I can see that it actually reflects the regedit change there and thus looks the same as in winecfg so the font Noto Sans is used in F2K settings window, however not in the main UI. I checked Preferences -> Display -> Default User Interface -> Colors and Fonts -> Fonts -> Default and the Noto Sans font is nowhere to be found there:

In regedit, I can see Noto Sans Regular key is present in both HKLM -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> CurrentVersion -> Fonts and HKCU -> Software -> Wine -> Fonts -> External Fonts like all my other fonts as the whole /usr/share/fonts/truetype directory is mapped to the Z: drive in the Wine prefix.

I also tried to download the Noto Sans family from fonts.google.com and unpack it to ~/.wine-foobar/drive_c/windows/Fonts/ to no avail.

How come F2K doesn't see all the fonts I can see in the KDE system settings or font viewer? Can you see the Noto Sans font in the F2K fonts settings or do you happen to know how to get F2K to see the Noto Sans font?

F2K version: 1.6.11
Wine version: 6.0-bp153.1.173

Thanks.

Reply #584
I also tried to download the Noto Sans family from fonts.google.com and unpack it to ~/.wine-foobar/drive_c/windows/Fonts/ to no avail.

I've found out I need to unpack the *.ttf files straight to the Fonts folder. At first, I let the KDE archiver create Noto_Sans folder inside the Fonts folder. When the *.ttf files are unpacked straight, Foobar is able to detect the font. Moreover, regedit can pick the font up too and it couldn't before. Also winecfg -> Desktop Integration -> Item: -> Font... couldn't pick it up before and showed the same font selection dialog window as F2K so it wasn't actually F2K's fault not detecting the font, it was Wine's.

Unfortunatelly, the font downloaded from fonts.google.com is rendered differently and worse then the same font from the rpm package of my distro. They must be of different versions. The manually downloaded font makes the impression on me as being smoothed in greyscale instead the full RGB subpixel rendering even though I have set RGB rendering in both fontconfig and Xresources.

At the end, I switched my default sans-serif, serif and monospace fonts from the Noto family to the Droid one. Droid fonts are correctly detected in Wine so I have more or less unified font rendering between the KDE desktop and Wine apps.

Reply #585
Wine 7.12
https://www.winehq.org

Linux Mint 20.03 Mate
foobar2000 v1.6.11

After playing one song, the next song is not recognized.
I did a Rescan but it didn't work.

Reply #586
After playing one song, the next song is not recognized.
I did a Rescan but it didn't work.
You can try moving and copying files again (while running foobar). Updating library had some random bugs under linux.

Reply #587
Thanx michtar.

And, crash during playback. With various operations.
Also revert to 7.0.

Reply #588
Hi :)

I installed snap foobar2000 (WINE) v1.6.11.

1.) How do you add Music folder to Media Library/Music folders?
 Music folder is an external USB. I can't see the drive even if I set it with winecfg (Because the environment of wine is different).

2.) How do you drag and drop Tracks (folder) onto Playlist Viewer?

snap foobar2000 (WINE) v1.6.11
https://snapcraft.io/foobar2000

/snap/foobar2000/431/usr/share/foobar2000
/home/neonken/Desktop/neonken/snap/foobar2000/431/foobar2000/profile

KDE neon User - 5.25
Wine-7.0 Stable

Thank you for your help.

Reply #589
I installed snap foobar2000 (WINE) v1.6.11.
1.) How do you add Music folder to Media Library/Music folders?
 Music folder is an external USB. I can't see the drive even if I set it with winecfg (Because the environment of wine is different).
2.) How do you drag and drop Tracks (folder) onto Playlist Viewer?

In Gnome you can manage snap apps permissions in the software center application's page. I don't know if there is an equivalent in KDE.
If not you must set them in the console with:

Code: [Select]
snap interfaces <applicattion name>

It will give you something like:

Slot             Plug
-                <applicattion name>:removable-media
(...)

Connect to the interface with:

sudo snap connect <applicattion name>:removable-media

Drag and drop from linux to foobar, at least for me, didn't work. Use the foobar library to add your music.

Reply #590
@paregistrase thanx.
Amazing!
I looked it up, but I didn't know how to use it.
I'm glad I asked you a question.

sudo snap connect foobar2000:removable-media

Scanning now. Many thanks.

Reply #591
You're welcome

Reply #592
I've noticed a recurring theme here in the thread about stuttering audio which I also suffered from till now. Well in case somebody finds it useful to know, I've found out that if I run F2k in a 32bit WINE prefix created with WINEARCH=win32, the stuttering it seems is gone. In the default 64bit prefix I was getting playback stutters at irregular intervals like once in few minutes or in half an hour. With 32bit prefix, I wasn't testing if for too long but an hour-long playback or so resulted in zero stutters so far. There must be something rotten in WINE's WOW64 implementation which is not present in 32bit WINE prefix :)) . Do those of you suffering from the problem can hear an improvement when switching from 64 -> 32bit prefix? Remember, you need to create a new prefix for that, WINE can't switch bitness in already existing prefixes.

Reply #593
I've noticed a recurring theme here in the thread about stuttering audio which I also suffered from till now.
I'm not 100% sure about the connection but resampling (48000) seemed to have fixed those problems for me.

Reply #594
I'm not 100% sure about the connection but resampling (48000) seemed to have fixed those problems for me.

I'm running F2K without resampling with the help of the WASAPI plugin and no stutters applies in my case. But admittedly, I haven't tested it for longer that 1h. Stuttering might still happen but I'm not always on Linux so can't keep testing it all the time.

Reply #595
I'm running F2K without resampling with the help of the WASAPI plugin and no stutters applies in my case. But admittedly, I haven't tested it for longer that 1h. Stuttering might still happen but I'm not always on Linux so can't keep testing it all the time.

So I tested playback for another 2h and unfortunately, I was getting some stutters. win32 WINE prefix didn't help. Sorry for confusions.

Reply #596
may be other linux kernels can help with stutters problem. kernels like xanmod, liquorix, etc. muqss scheduler is impressive

Reply #597
may be other linux kernels can help with stutters problem. kernels like xanmod, liquorix, etc. muqss scheduler is impressive
I second that. AFAIR it didn't solve the problem but there were differences between kernels.

Also you might try snap version.

Edit: There's also foo_out_pulse.

Reply #598
Launch foobar2000 with PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=200 env variable. Try increasing the value if 200 produces stutters. Switching to pipewire might help.

Reply #599
Wine 7.13
https://www.winehq.org

Linux Mint 20.03 Mate
foobar2000 v1.6.11
/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/foobar2000/foobar2000.exe
/.wine/drive_c/users/USERNAME/Application Data/foobar2000

Crash when right-clicking or doing other operations during playback.
(WineHQ 11/12/13)
I'm currently using the snap version.