Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can't search by lyrics? (Read 588 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't search by lyrics?

Hi everybody,

I don't know why I'm unable to search by lyrics:
- My config has EsPlaylist and Facets
- If I type
Code: [Select]
%lyrics% PRESENT
it shows me a lot of tracks
- But if I type
Code: [Select]
%lyrics% HAS "{whatever word or letter}"
it doesn't show anything. Not a single track.
The problem is the same in both EsPlaylist and Facets.

I have been through prefs to see if something was disabled, but I can't find anything.
In Prefs > Tools > EsPlaylist > Behaviour > Typing Search, the condition is "Partial match" + "Search group headers"
In Prefs > Advanced > Tools > Search Filters, The "Simple Search - Exclude Fields" are CUESHEET;LOGFILE

What am I missing? Thank you.

Re: Can't search by lyrics?

Reply #1
I would guess (since I only save lyric files and not tags), probably because (at least in foobar v1 series), the lyrics fields are not cached in memory, to save foobar using huge amounts of RAM.

In profile folder see LargeFieldsConfig.txt -

# List of spam meta fields - rarely useful stuff that *never* gets cached
fieldSpam=accurate rip
fieldSpam=aucdtect
fieldSpam=biography
fieldSpam=cuesheet
fieldSpam=eac logfile
fieldSpam=itunes_cddb_1
fieldSpam=itunmovi
fieldSpam=log
fieldSpam=logfile
fieldSpam=lyrics
fieldSpam=unsynced lyrics

I guess (once again) if you remove the last two from fieldSpam= and put them under fieldBasic= then they would be cached, but only up to the amount of basicMetaMax=

Finally, I guess (since I have not tested much) this round-about way of settings would not be necessary in v2 series (?)

Reply #2
Thanks @anamorphic for such an excellent answer! :D
That definitely did the trick.
I have now re-added LYRICS to the "Simple Search - Exclude Fields".
So now a simple search doesn't try to match any lyrics, but an explicit %lyrics% search works as intended.

I'm just puzzled with one more thing:
EDIT - Setting basicMetaMax to 5000 instead of 2000 did the trick :D
at least one song (so possibly others) still doesn't appear at all in %lyrics% search results, even though its %lyrics% field exists and matches the search.
Same problem as before: that song appears if I type "%lyrics% PRESENT", but it doesn't appear if I type "%lyrics% HAS "{whatever word or letter}". :o
I can see the song (it's a regular mp3), play the song, check its properties, check its %lyrics% field, display it in a lyrics viewer... but it refuses to appear.
I have rescanned my media library just in case. It just doesn't work. Beats me!

PS: I will upgrade to v2 in a few months, when building my new rig :)

Reply #3
^ Yes, you got it. I guessed correctly :D

Reply #4
But a guess is not merely a guess when it comes from experience and knowledge. So thank you for that! :D
Problem solved.