Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 v2.0 beta 26 seems to have issues running ASIO Output 2.2 component (Read 922 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 v2.0 beta 26 seems to have issues running ASIO Output 2.2 component

My favorite way to use Foobar2000 for absolute digital accuracy is to use ASIO Output 2.2 with ASIO4ALL v2.15 (in conjunction with VBaudio Hi-Fi Cable for testing).  This avoids the Windows CAudioLimiter and results in bit-perfect output from Foobar2000 to the "Hi-Fi Cable Output" so that metering and analysis tools are accurate to fullscale digital amplitudes.  Previously in FB2k v 1.6 the ASIO4ALL buffer size could run at 256 bytes.  Now with v2.0 beta 26 the ASIO4ALL buffersize must be increased x4 to 1024 bytes.  Would this be expected? 

Also upon fresh install and loading FB2k v2.0 b26 and installing ASIO Output 2.2 I had issues adding multiple files to the playlist and then clicking between them.  All files were 44.1k sample rate.  HTTP streams played OK but clicking on other FLAC files on the playlist would look as if they were playing but no audio would come out.  I installed WASAPI shared output 0.6.18 to test that but that will not allow large amplitude bit-perfect signals due to CAudioLimiter.  Odd part now...  After switching back to ASIO output the app appears to play any item in the playlist without issue.  I've removed WASAPI component and all plays OK still.  Not sure what happened here,

Re: foobar2000 v2.0 beta 26 seems to have issues running ASIO Output 2.2 component

Reply #1
New input.  After complete uninstall (all FB2k stuff) and reinstalling FB2k v2.0 b26 and the ASIO Output 2.2 resets the unable to play files in playlist by clicking on them.  Failing to play files when using ASIO happens with FlexASIO as well as ASIO4ALL.  Oddly playing to my EVGA Nu Audio ASIO and VBaudio VoiceMeeter ASIO works fine but ASIO4ALL and FlexASIO cause "Unrecoverable playback error: Timeout" in FB2k v2.0 b26.  After the timeout another file in the playlist plays and (if selected to play entire playlist) the next file plays perfectly and so on.  If I click on the files that just played they will not play.  The top file in the playlist plays fine when restarting FB2k from a FPL saved playlist.

Re: foobar2000 v2.0 beta 26 seems to have issues running ASIO Output 2.2 component

Reply #2
Second New Input.  Playing with settings in ASIO4ALL and restarting FB2k (restarts ASIO4ALL) FB2k starts playing fine.  Files in the playlist can clicked on and all plays fine.  Output can be selected to FlexASIO and the fail occurs again but reselecting ASIO4ALL everything works.  I'll reiterate starting FB2k when the ASIO selected output is a failing device the top file will autoplay fine and the playlist will automatically play down the list.  You just can't click on files to start.  That induces the "Unrecoverable playback error: Timeout".

Reply #3
What is your output chain?

e.g.
Foobar2000 > ASIO > Topping DX3Pro Dac?

Have you tried WASAPI exclusive mode to bypass the windows mixer?

Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #4
I am not sure by "output chain"...  Currently I am using FB2k 2.0 b26 with output set to ASIO4ALL v2.15 and that in-turn points to VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable to allow me to get bit-perfect audio to several analysis tools at once.  After that I am probably getting CAudioLimiter in the path to the actual sound card.  I'd like to port all the audio via ASIO but thats awkward for general audio functionality.  I couldn't get the WASAPI exclusive-mode component to load in FB2k v2.0 b26.  Today keeping FB2k playing files reliably by clicking on playlist items was back up for grabs.  Scratching head on how two DSPs seemed to have dissapeared (Convert mono to stereo, and Resampler dBpoweramp).  After reinstating them it appears I am able to click on playlist items and they play (sometimes with glitches at start).

Reply #5
So what happens if you simplify your output chain?

E.g.
Foobar2000 > ASIO > ASIO4ALL > DAC

Does the problem still occur?

If not then keep adding each additional output step in 1 by 1 to try and narrow down the problem.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.