Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar vs Roon feature comparison (Read 1468 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar vs Roon feature comparison

I've been using FB2k for nearly 20 years, but I always like to see what else is out there.  Recently I downloaded Roon for a trial, and overall I've been unimpressed considering the hype.  No way I'm paying for it, because Foobar is still a better piece of software that Roon wouldn't be able to adequately replace.  (Roon really doesn't work well with my 'workflow' - making and editing playlists constantly, file management, etc.)  However there are a couple nice features it has that I would love to figure out a way to integrate into FB2k, if possible:

First, with Roon, I can use a second computer in the house as a "remote control".  My library and speakers are connected to my desktop PC, and with Roon I can use my MacBook to control playback from across my apartment.  I feel like I remember there's a way to do this with FB2k, but I'm not sure how.  Can anyone help with guidance?

Second, Roon can do algorithmic playback based on a song or artist, using only local files.  It's basically a Spotify radio station based on a song, but only using your own library.  Very cool.  This one is more of a long shot, but has anyone ever tried to figure out a way to incorporate algorithmic playback into Foobar?

Re: Foobar vs Roon feature comparison

Reply #1
I've been using FB2k for nearly 20 years, but I always like to see what else is out there.  Recently I downloaded Roon for a trial, and overall I've been unimpressed considering the hype.  No way I'm paying for it, because Foobar is still a better piece of software that Roon wouldn't be able to adequately replace.  (Roon really doesn't work well with my 'workflow' - making and editing playlists constantly, file management, etc.)  However there are a couple nice features it has that I would love to figure out a way to integrate into FB2k, if possible:

First, with Roon, I can use a second computer in the house as a "remote control".  My library and speakers are connected to my desktop PC, and with Roon I can use my MacBook to control playback from across my apartment.  I feel like I remember there's a way to do this with FB2k, but I'm not sure how.  Can anyone help with guidance?

Second, Roon can do algorithmic playback based on a song or artist, using only local files.  It's basically a Spotify radio station based on a song, but only using your own library.  Very cool.  This one is more of a long shot, but has anyone ever tried to figure out a way to incorporate algorithmic playback into Foobar?

1. There are at least a foobar controller for Android and an outdated UPnP plugin, would love to see it integrated natively.

2. See my sig, Search by Distance (and Playlist Tools).
No internet required. Requires SMP. Uses only local files, based on your tags and a genre/style similarity map, harmonic mixing, smart shuffle modes, etc. You can fine tune it in any way you imagine.

For an internet version of 'radio station', look for Find & Play.

Reply #2
Wow!  Those look like fun toys to try.  I'll give it a whirl tonight!

Reply #3
Just curious - Since FB 2.0 doesn't work with SMP, is there any plan to update these scripts for JScript Panel 3 or the like?

Reply #4
Foobar works with SMP, just not for x64.

About "updating" to JSP3... that would not be an update but a regression XD. Since technically SMP uses modern javaScript per today standards compared to the antiquate JSP version... Not into that.

Also it force users to use IE9, and I design my scripts to be fully compatible with Unix users. There are a few reason for people coding bio panels, themes and all that on SMP... although I appreciate all the built-in methods added lately on JSP, it would be much more useful for the community to just have an SMP update at this point and stick with a single JavaScript panel plugin using modern javascript.

EDIT: obviously this is just my opinion. People will do whatever they want. But don't expect from me porting ECMAScript 2019 into 2009 standard, since that is not an improvement. Specially because it would require a full rewrite, since I make use of every feature from ECMAScript 2015 onwards. And let's not talk about Async code, and promises... XD good luck with that.