Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Encode interviews to listen on an iPod (Read 1558 times) previous topic - next topic

Encode interviews to listen on an iPod

I am about to encode a lot (200+) of short interviews from AIFF to either AAC or MP3 to listen to on my iPod and would appreciate a starting point for which settings to use.

Space really is not an issue but the resulting files should be as small as possible (of course;-) with the reservation that hearable artifacts or distortion is not acceptable.

I have lame and the built in iTunes mp3-encoder (Fraunhofer?). Should I try to find some other encoder?

Some of the interviews are in mono and some in stereo, can I encode everything in stereo and letting the joint stereo effect automatically handle the mono-recordings making them half the size of the stereo recording? Or is it necessary to manually encode in mono and stereo respectively? All interviews are made in a studio environment = the source's sound quality is very good.

With this background, which encoder and which settings for that encoder do you recommend as a starting point for testing? Links to external resources that has tested encoding speech (_not_ music) would be very interesting.

Mac OS X 10.3 and Quicktime Pro 6.5