Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Office Headphones? (Read 2691 times) previous topic - next topic

Office Headphones?

Hi :-)

I listen to music while working as it helps me to focus and to block external noises. Problem is, my work require me use a Microphone often for calls, etc. Up until now I used Microsoft LX3000, and I was pretty surprised by the value and sounds quality they pack in a low entry price. However, the plastic is a bit on the cheap size and they recently broke. I'm looking for a new "Office Headphones". So to recap, they need to:

- Have decent sound quality
- Not too expensive
- Have build-in Microphone
- Over the ear for "blocking noise" and comfortable for long working sessions :-)

Or perhaps there is no decent headphones with Microphone?
Thanks!

Office Headphones?

Reply #1
It seems that there are tons of gaming headphones available now with mics, designed for online multiplayer. My roommate has a nice set of Sennheisers for this purpose (mic and all), but I think they're on the expensive side. Surely someone could recommend something budget-friendly.

Office Headphones?

Reply #2
I have been using a set of Beyerdynamic MMX2s for quite a while now, both for VoIP use and music listening. They're based on the venerable DT-23x line of headphones, and you can plug them directly into a sound card (or laptop) or use the included USB interface. Sound quality is good, not tubby at all despite being closed headphones. Isolation isn't perfect, but good enough unless you're on a noisy shop floor. Beware that they may not fit circumaurally if you have large ears. In that case, they'll sit on your ears instead, which can impact the sound quality and comfort.

Voice quality from the microphone is very good as long as you remember to not breathe directly into it (place it 1-2cm beside your mouth), and disable automatic gain control. If you don't, people will hear every little breath you take ;-)

They're ~$75 on Amazon (no affiliate link): http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-MMX-Mul...yerdynamic+mmx2

Office Headphones?

Reply #3
Thank you, I will have a look on the Beyedrynamic NMX2. I have a big head though, and I'm worried about the issues you mentioned that they won't fit. I'm trying to get away from Gaming headsets, because they mostly just cost much more because they are title "Gamer headphones" and they are not that good (I have 1-2, and they broke easily and the sound quality was bad).

Office Headphones?

Reply #4
I have a pretty big noggin, and the MMX2 fits me fine. The size of your ears is more important to whether the cups can sit around or on them.

It's sold as a gaming headset, but for all intents and purposes it is identical to the DT-234 PRO model, which is sold as a professional VoIP/broadcast headset, at a slightly higher price.

The build quality is good, I've had a set of DT-231 headphones for over a decade, and they've stood up to all kinds of abuse. I've had to replace the velour earpads and the elastic headband is a bit loose by now, but other than that they're like new. These are not branding-heavy overpriced discount-quality gaming headsets, they're quality products from one of the best companies in the business :-)

Office Headphones?

Reply #5
That you Kozonaut. I'll check the MMX2 price, even though it's a bit over the price I was looking for. Any other budget options? Problem is that shipping to my country is expensive, and it boos the price of everything pretty much.

Office Headphones?

Reply #6
I can't remember any other options that meet your needs, especially since you ask for circumaural (over the ear). That tends to make the headphones larger and usually more expensive. Only inexpensive gaming headsets from the likes of Creative etc. come to mind, and as you know, quality tends to be not so good on those.

Where do you live? Perhaps there are local options, rather than having them shipped in?

Office Headphones?

Reply #7
I live in Israel. Well, I guess that if variety lacks, I can give up on the over the ear necessity. I still prefer not to buy something too "small" like this for example, but anything like the Microsoft LX-3300 which is not completely over the ear but still is quite big and have a pocket to "hold" some of the ear will work.

EDIT: I got a recommendation for Speed Link Medusa NX. But the "5.1 Surround Headset" title makes me feel like those are just basic gaming headphones.
Thanks!