Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Game Emu Player (foo_gep) by kode54 (Read 273436 times) previous topic - next topic

Game Emu Player (foo_gep) by kode54

Reply #350
Hello, I like your Game Emu Player plugin.
I have a bug report and a question though.

I use foobar2000 ver.1.2.9 and foo_gep ver.1.169.

Bug report:
When I play SPC soundtracks by foo_gep, almost 0.5 second introduction of some specific tracks is missing.
Their tracks are Great Battle 5 SPC set's track 15 Hotel Dada and track 18 Caverns & Mines.
I got the SPC set from http://snesmusic.org/v2/profile.php?profil...;selected=14359.

When I play them by foo_snesapu, there is no problem.

Question:
Playing SPC by Sinc Interpolation, is low-pass filter used?

I think foo_gep's sound isn't as "bright" as foo_snesapu when setting is Sinc Interpolation.
But, boosting +2~3dB around 4kHz~12kHz by my favorite equalizer, the sound becomes as "bright" as foo_snesapu.

The above experience lead to my stupid question (^^).
If my guess is right, could you add an option of low-pass filter OFF?

I'm sorry for my poor English.
Thanks!

Reply #351
There is a problem, because I cannot even get foo_snesapu to work without crashing on playback.

As for the resampler sounding different, there's nothing I can really do about that. It should sound similar to using 32KHz with SNESAPU.

If you don't like it, stop complaining and just use foo_snesapu.

Reply #352
Thank you for your quick reply!!

Sorry for not explaining enough.
I use TWO foobar2000, one is installer version and the other is portable version(both are ver.1.2.9).
I only add foo_snesapu to installer version, and only add foo_gep to portable version.
I got foo_snesapu from http://foobar2000.xrea.jp/up/. I downloaded up1189.7z.
I got snesapu.dll from http://dgrfactory.jp/spcplay/index.html. I downloaded 2013/07/14 - v2.16.3.

Also, playing the above tracks(track 15 Hotel Dada and track 18 Caverns & Mines) by Alpha-II SPC Player in Winamp,  the intro is NOT missing.

As for the resampler sounding different, there's nothing I can really do about that. It should sound similar to using 32KHz with SNESAPU.

If you don't like it, stop complaining and just use foo_snesapu.

Thank you for your definite answer!
Because I like foo_gep's accurate sound, I will use both foo_gep and foo_snesapu for different purposes(^^).

Thanks!!

Reply #353
I updated the emulator core with the latest version of the accuracy SMP core and alt/blargg DSP core from higan, the multi-system emulator. It cannot get much more accurate than this. And they're still broken. So I suggest you take it up with snesmusic.org and tell them their rips aren't likely to play back properly on actual hardware, either.

As for the sinc mode not sounding as sharp as SNESAmp, it is likely because of two reasons. For one, I don't use the same sinc table as them. And for two, I'm locked to 32000Hz, and nothing is going to change that.

Reply #354
I updated the emulator core with the latest version of the accuracy SMP core and alt/blargg DSP core from higan, the multi-system emulator. It cannot get much more accurate than this. And they're still broken. So I suggest you take it up with snesmusic.org and tell them their rips aren't likely to play back properly on actual hardware, either.

Oh, now I see!
Thank you very much for all your hard work.

Yes, anything you say.
Sadly, it seems that some spc tracks in snesmusic.org are broken...

As for the sinc mode not sounding as sharp as SNESAmp, it is likely because of two reasons. For one, I don't use the same sinc table as them. And for two, I'm locked to 32000Hz, and nothing is going to change that.

Thank you for the detailed explanation!
Personally, playing a spc track with foo_gep's sinc mode, I'm comfortable because I feel hi-hat is natural.

I like your other plugins(e.q. foo_input_vgmstream, foo_hdcd, foo_unpack_7z and so on).
I appreciate your effort(^^).

Thanks!!

Reply #355
I've uploaded a newer foo_snesapu, bundled with the latest modified snesapu.dll, to the component repository. foobar2000 will offer to update your existing version with this version instead.

• More robust SNESAPU.dll loading mechanism
  • Loads original SNESAPU.dll from the component directory
  • Reports sample format information dynamically, since it can change with configuration
  • Fixes the configuration dialog not working properly, by rewriting much of the new dialog code

Reply #356
Oh, great job 

I've updated to your newer foo_snesapu.
I'm very happy that DSP Options work properly 

Thanks!!

Reply #357
Well its possible your latest version v1.174 might have fixed it I won't be able to check until I get home from the library.. so I will post my bug report..
and if you need copies of the spc files for testing let me know via pm and I will email(works best for me) them to you. =D

Some of my SNES SPC sets that were playing fine up to the last GEP v.1.169...

ARE failing to play  now ;O_O;

Doing just a quick random test of my SNES spc collection I found these game's sound tracks fail to play:

- Illusion of Gaia
- Earthbound (ALL tracks fail to play except for "winters")

Further explained... it will play maybe the first few milliseconds of the track...

the download link for MIDI decoder is failing... instead its returning me to the Foobar2000 home page.
http://www.foobar2000.org/getcomponent/0ab....fb2k-component

Reply #358
SPC should be fixed, and you must fully refresh a download page before you click any download links.

Reply #359
SPC should be fixed, and you must fully refresh a download page before you click any download links.

I confirm they are working again on v1.172  =D

diagnostic statement loi =3
what I do usual works out like this..
1)  I follow a saved link, Foobar2000: Comp.Rep (Sort:Date)(Tag: ALL)

2)  I will then middle mouse click any links for addons that have been updated since last I was on.

3)  I will [CTRL]+w , close that page.

4) I will proceed to each opened page  and click the download links one at a time...
    I never have any issues but once in a blue moon the like as down that maybe once or twice before in the past years....

Reply #360
SFM is SPC700 state plus register log. I've uploaded an SFM conversion of the Blackthorne SNSF soundtrack here for example. It still needs length tagging, though.

Reply #361
SFM is SPC700 state plus register log. I've uploaded an SFM conversion of the Blackthorne SNSF soundtrack here for example. It still needs length tagging, though.

ooohh =D nice....

What is:
- The register log?
- What does it do?
- Benefits?

thx

Reply #362
Ripping previously unrippable soundtracks.

Reply #363
Is SFM the sound format byuu was briefly working on (and I guess abandoned) or is this another thing? Googling for SFM is pretty useless, turns out it stands for many things and most of all Source FilmMaker is super popular apparently.
made of radiation

Reply #364
Ripping previously unrippable soundtracks.

certain games were unrippable? ?_? @_@

ps:
I am out of net time at the library so back again tomorrow

Reply #367
oooh O_o most of those games odd never heard of... (ack I can't think of the word I am looking for....)

Obscure? but a lot of those games seem pretty common to me.

Reply #368
Just wanted to stop by and give my eternal thanks for your efforts, kode54... have just installed & updated SNESAPU along with the recent GEP updates. I finally can get rid of winamp. (another piece of unnecessary ware on my system)

I feel somewhat guilty I haven't paid a cent for FB2K and it's plugins. Just a dream player for me. If you are, or ever in need of donations - just drop a paypal link. I'd more than gladly contribute what I can. Thanks again, mate. Hugely appreciated. 

Reply #370
Apologies if there's an obvious answer to this, but I've had a good google around and couldn't find anything. Foo_gep seems to have no option to default to "loop twice and fade", instead each track lasts for 3 mins. This is fine for many tracks but 10-second loops get obnoxiously overplayed. Is there something I'm missing?

Reply #371
Apologies if there's an obvious answer to this, but I've had a good google around and couldn't find anything. Foo_gep seems to have no option to default to "loop twice and fade", instead each track lasts for 3 mins. This is fine for many tracks but 10-second loops get obnoxiously overplayed. Is there something I'm missing?
Anyone?

Reply #372
Presumably you are referring to some format other than VGM. Specifying that format might help other members to suggest solutions or kode54 to consider your request.

Reply #373
If it is a format other than VGM or GYM, then it is entirely up to the file's tags to regulate its playback length, otherwise the default length is used. None of the other formats allow me to easily determine the length, other than performing somewhat expensive sound matching on the rendered output, as they are emulated and there is no easy way to determine if the music has looped. Short of per-game hacks or signal matching algorithms.

Reply #374
None of the other formats allow me to easily determine the length, other than performing somewhat expensive sound matching on the rendered output, as they are emulated and there is no easy way to determine if the music has looped.
I suspected it might be something like this. Shame - thanks anyway.