Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Coexisting with iTunes (Read 1213 times) previous topic - next topic

Coexisting with iTunes

I've been using Foobar on my desktop for years to play music while I work. I have a very nice sound system in my office and switch all day between listening to CDs (still have about 1200) and listening to my digital collection using Foobar. But in spite of my years of use, I'm not an expert on the details. I'm more of a 'set it up once and forget about it' person than a tweaker.

I am about to digitize my CD collection (likely using dbPowerAmp into both FLAC and mp3) and I'm trying to get my head around a strategy that will allow Foobar and iTunes to coexist.

I'd like to:
* have iTunes and Foobar looking at the same files (I will turn off the 'manage library' option in iTunes) on my NAS. Using my own directory structure.
* use iTunes to generate Genius playlists, and then take those playlists and import them into Foobar for use on my desktop
* take my manually created Foobar playlists and import them into iTunes so that I can get them onto my iPods

Basically, just use iTunes to create Genius playlists from my entire library, and also to sync playlists with iPods.

Is this reasonable? Easy? Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.