Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: how to handle folder watching error? (Read 1585 times) previous topic - next topic

how to handle folder watching error?

For reasons that I know (music files on NAS) and don't know, folder watching fails from time to time. The problem is that even the folder under watch becomes available again, foobar doesn't seem to recognize that. I have waited quite a while and found foobar got stuck with "Error!" message on the status of the folder.

So, am I supposed to wait longer, or manually rescan such folders (and how can I know if there is an error without checking the media library status)? Does foobar automatically recover from folder watching errors?

Reply #1
Is there anything in the console (View > Console) that indicates what the error is?

Reply #2
Not really. It just mentions a folder under watch became inaccessible... I guess error notification is quite necessary as well as retry and recovery.

Reply #3
Observing the behavior of folder watching, things are a little weird. Right now, I have a folder under watch, and its status says "Error!".  The console says:

Folder watching failure: More data is available. 
Watching: \\nas\data\that-once-failed-folder

It seems it got back on, at least according to the console message. So I tried to modify ID3 tags of the files in that folder using foobar and foobar reflected the change immediately. After that I copied a file into the folder under watch outside foobar, and foobar detected it and added it to the library. So all in all, it works fine, though the status message still says "Error!". Foobar devs may clarify further.

By the way, I have seen some other folder watching failure error messages in the past, and the failure scenario might be different in those cases.

[EDIT]
I just got the following console error message:

Folder watching failure: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.

After giving this error message, foobar rescanned the failed folder, discovering more tracks. It seems to work fine, but still the status message says "Error!".

Reply #4
If you're seeing Error after you add/modify files in watched folders, it could be related to the version of Samba that your NAS is running.
See this thread:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=83014

I had similar issues with my Synology NAS.  I had to manually update the SMB package (see details in thread above) which wasn't fun.  Then Synology released updated firmware which included the fix so I was able to use their version of SMB going forward.  I haven't had any issues since.

The bug was fixed in SMB 3.5.6.

Reply #5
Thank you for the help. I'm using a hacked DNS-320, and the samba version is 3.4.6. I think D-Link doesn't have a patch to handle this problem... oh well...