Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Who stores music on DVD recordable discs? (Read 4752 times) previous topic - next topic

Who stores music on DVD recordable discs?

I just got my dvd writer on monday, and the first thing I did was to write a dvd crammed to the max with my MP3 files. I crammed a total of 1111 files onto one Princo DVD-R that I burned with my Toshiba SD-R5002 at 1x. Boy was I surprised, this is heaven! I could store an entire music store on a few discs! On top of that, streaming files from a dvd-rom is much better then from cd-rom, the latter often skipped while playing, while my dvd-rom streams for 1-2 seconds and plays quietly without skips.

So I wanna know, do any of you guys do this? What media do you use to store your files? What do you think of it?

Reply #1
I will be doing this soon. I just installed the software for my dvd-r.
"Droplets of Yes and No, in an ocean of Maybe"

Reply #2
I'm also curious to hear people's feelings on this. I have about 350 CDRs of backups right now, and once my CD burner dies, I plan to get a DVD burner to backup all those CDRs and reorganize them. It sounds simple, but you never know ... 

Reply #3
I've thought about this too.
I most likely will get myself a dvd-burner soon....when I have burned my remaining 50cdrs.

Reply #4
I too considered this but as you can find in some other threads there is concern over life expectancy of CDs & DVDs, as well as scratches, etc.

For the moment I decided to keep the files on HDs since the $/GB is roughly the same as DVD without the price of the burner. I do imangine in the next year the price to drop even further - since guys like you are bringing down the price for me 

What I would like to know is whatever happen to the 9.7? GB DVDs? I thought they were suppose to be able to have 4.7, 9.6?, 12.?, 18.?GB DVDs - I know a few DVDs have been released on 9.6 DVD format so what is the reason for not having those out? Political, technical problems?

Just wait till you get an mp3 player supporting DVDs! - 1000 songs - take you all week to listed to one DVD!

Reply #5
What I would like to know is whatever happen to the 9.7? GB DVDs? I thought they were suppose to be able to have 4.7, 9.6?, 12.?, 18.?GB DVDs - I know a few DVDs have been released on 9.6 DVD format so what is the reason for not having those out? Political, technical problems?

I think I remember reading that philips stated that 4.7GB was the lmit for the current burning technology so don't wait for anything bigger.

Reply #6
I think I remember reading that philips stated that 4.7GB was the lmit for the current burning technology so don't wait for anything bigger.

Really? check Blu-Ray DVDs out. I also remember FMD discs. Although very promising an idea I guess the company behind it: Constellation 3D went dead. Their website is not accessible for a long time.

It is interesting that although DVD players are very cheap, no portable player except probably for Sony MPD-AP20U has ability to play it. But it unfortunately has CD recording capabilities which is unnecessary for a portable player and makes it bulky. I wonder why I-River and others do not start pushing for it, now that DVD recorders are a part of home computers.

Also I think DVD+R and DVD+RW must be better formats technologywise, so I'd suggest buying one of those drives with support for these formats.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #7
Also I think DVD+R and DVD+RW must be better formats technologywise, so I'd suggest buying one of those drives with support for these formats.

Is there a good website for a comparison of DVD-R vs. DVD+R? It appears that different manufacturers support different formats. What's the difference? Why is one better than the other, don't they hold the same amount of info?

Reply #8
It's about compatibility. Check DVD+RW alliance homepage and this website...
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #9
Not the most objective of information sites, but thanks for the info atici.

Reply #10
I've been archiving stuff to 2x Ritek DVD-R's for about a year now, using lossless and MPC. With newer versions of Nero, you can even do multisession on DVD-R's (which could not be done early on). As a result, I have not used CD-R/W for a long time. If you can get your hands on InCD or DirectCD, your drive will also come in very handy for DVD-RW's....it's like having an extra, removable 4.37GB hard disc on your system. DVD+RW seems to be better suited for drag-and-drop writing (much shorter format time, more robust options for video), but was not a consideration for me since I was more interested in compatibility with my DVD-Video player (which cannot read + formats).

Re: the comment on other DVD capacities: DVD-8 and DVD-18 are dual-layer formats, something which cannot be done with a DVD burner. The two layers are glued together, with the top one being semi-translucent. If you would like more capacity on a single disc, you may look into "flippers", or DVD-9's, which are single-layer, dual sided. Ritek makes such a disc, and they hold ~9.6GB of data. Of course, you have to flip them, which IMO is not worth the extra cost.

Reply #11
i  just started with backing up my music collection onto Verbatim Datalifeplus DVD+R media using my plextor burner.

so far so good..

-ty1er

Reply #12
I'm planning on buying a Sony DVD burner soon to archive my lossless audio collection (APE, SHN and FLAC).  I intend on archiving the audio in RAR volumes and adding PAR/PAR2 files for archive recovery (piece of mind if nothing else).  With all of the effort and time to accomplish this, my concern is the longevity of the DVD.  Has anyone determined (experience or research) whether one DVD media manufacturer is better than another?  Most traders (B&P) agree the Japan (Taiyo Yuden) CDRs are better than Taiwan.  Does this also hold true with DVDs?

Reply #13
I'm planning on buying a Sony DVD burner soon to archive my lossless audio collection (APE, SHN and FLAC).  I intend on archiving the audio in RAR volumes and adding PAR/PAR2 files for archive recovery (piece of mind if nothing else).  With all of the effort and time to accomplish this, my concern is the longevity of the DVD.  Has anyone determined (experience or research) whether one DVD media manufacturer is better than another?  Most traders (B&P) agree the Japan (Taiyo Yuden) CDRs are better than Taiwan.  Does this also hold true with DVDs?

Why don't you just use RAR's built in error recovery. It allows you to set a value between 1 to 10 percent. Is PAR2 in some way superior to RAR's error recovery?
Sorry, I have nothing witty to say here.

Reply #15
...I wrote a summary of my process on my webpage you can visit here: http://nicholas.marrone.info/modules.php?n...order=0&thold=0

Very good write-up.  You state, "Only high quality DVD+R media should be used."  Which brands and what makes them high quality?  This is my concern.  What do you use?

Is making copies and replacing your master DVDs periodically the only cost effective solution to ensure the validity of your audio collection?

Reply #16
Very good write-up.  You state, "Only high quality DVD+R media should be used."  Which brands and what makes them high quality?  This is my concern.   What do you use?

Is making copies and replacing your master DVDs periodically the only cost effective solution to ensure the validity of your audio collection?

DVD and CD media is discussed in some detail at the http://www.dvdrhelp.com/ website. I have found Ritek media to be of high quality during the burning process -- not a single coaster yet. But, as has been stated on this forum before, the problem with media quality, especially with DVDR, is that nobody knows yet. The best you can do at the moment is to check once a year whether your media is still good or not (using the PAR2 files) and move it to something else when it goes bad (using your double backups and PAR2 files).

Hopefully, by the time you have to re-backup your data the next big format will be out and you will be able to do it to 1 or 2 disks.

Destron

Reply #17
Why don't you just use RAR's built in error recovery. It allows you to set a value between 1 to 10 percent. Is PAR2 in some way superior to RAR's error recovery?

the new par2 format is far superior to rar's recovery volumes or par1.  there is an extensive thread on the topic floating around the forum: do a search.  there is a nice win32 app supporting par2 called quickpar.

I think dvdr combined with a 10% par2 volume should be plenty safe, but like others have said, no one really knows how dvdrs will age.

Reply #18
If you are worried about which DVD format to go with try Sony’s DVD±RW Drive DRU510A. It does both  . Very expensive though  . About $300 and up in the US (pricewatch.com), or 350 Euros and up in France and I guess Europe (a bunch of websites).

Edit: Typo!
[span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\']Ib[/span]

Reply #19
If you are worried about which DVD format to go with try Sony’s DVD±RW Drive DRU510A. It does both  . Very expensive though  . About $300 and up in the US (pricewatch.com), or 350 Euros and up in France and I guess Europe (a bunch of websites).

Edit: Typo!

That's the drive I just got btw.
"Droplets of Yes and No, in an ocean of Maybe"

Reply #20

Really? check Blu-Ray DVDs out.

Blu-Ray is not really "current burning technology"

It is as different from current DVDs as they were from CDs

On topic, I think that using DVDs right now is a good idea.
They should last long enough for new technology such as Blu-Ray to come along. Then we can re-backup and so on...
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #21

Someone mentioned that dual-layer burning is not going to be possible soon (credible).
However, the blue laser technology will be there soon (time scheme: fundamental tech. problems are solved, now it is mainly a matter of developing mass products. They are working on atm, saying that such burners will become available in a few months, is probably not realistic. A few years probably is.)
(PS. Blue laser technology means pushing further away diffraction limits, which means all distances can be scaled down by a factor 2, which means a factor 4 for the surface = data capacity).

Reply #22
I'm planning on buying a Sony DVD burner soon to archive my lossless audio collection (APE, SHN and FLAC).  I intend on archiving the audio in RAR volumes and adding PAR/PAR2 files for archive recovery (piece of mind if nothing else).

If you're going to compress the files, best just to use ape/shn/flac with par2.  Saves the rar step, and you don't need to extract from the rar archive to copy out a file, and hunt through the archive to find a file.

Par2 also is appealing in that if the files can't be read, you can recover the sectors and get QuickPar to sort out the files, or at least have a shot at that.

A few other things to consider:

- It's not clear whether you'd want to calculate the par2 data on a sub-set of the DVDR's data, though.  If you don't, the smallest "block size" you can use is 1/32767th of the data set (about 140KB).  That is, you'll need that much data to correct even a 1 sector error.

- I was trying to figure out if DVDR's error correction is stronger than CDR, or simply more efficient (definitely is), from using RSPC.  I saw a claim or two that it was at least an order of magnitude stronger.  If so, that's some additional comfort.

- Haven't seen anything on DVDRs along the lines of the endless dye types and stability debates for CDRs.

Some discussion of par2, though no firm conclusions, at this HA thread.