Skip to main content

Topic: Moving the artwork file decoder to its own thread (Read 1649 times) previous topic - next topic

Moving the artwork file decoder to its own thread
It currently seems as if the album artwork file decoder is running in the same thread as the UI, causing the UI to stop updating till the album art has been finished processing. The result of this is that for very large files the whole process can take up to a few seconds which hinders usability in certain cases, such as traversing a large library.

Example image: http://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000036491530...23-original.jpg

With that in mind, has there been any consideration of moving the decoders to their own thread or am I just not understanding the situation correctly?

Reply #1
Any thoughts on this? Would love to be surprised by 1.2.10.

• Andreasvb
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
In the mean time you can try reduce the size of the album art.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

• marc2003
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
are you having this problem with the default UI artwork panel or is it some other 3rd party component you're using to view it?

Reply #4
Default UI artwork panel naturally.

Reply #5
In the mean time you can try reduce the size of the album art.

I think having by default a 2400x2400 album art image size is overboard. You'll not benefit with anything beyond 800x800 even using fb2k fullscreen with a large monitor resolution.

Consider this: 30" monitors normally do 2536px wide. Consider resizing your art as suggested.

• lvqcl
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #6
BTW, this image is saved as progressive JPEG. Mozilla and IrfanView open progressive JPEGs slower than normal ones, and this may be true for fb2k too.

• EpicForever
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
BTW, 600x600 is enough for any embedded album art viewer in any media player. Especially if compression level is very low/image quality is set to very high.