Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lagging when seeking in audio tracks using ASIO (Foobar2000) (Read 3637 times) previous topic - next topic

Lagging when seeking in audio tracks using ASIO (Foobar2000)

Just installed the newest drivers for my RME babyface which is connected to the computer using usb 2.0 . Dpc latency checker reports no lag spikes. I am using the ASIO component plugin for foobar2000.

Comparing to my ESI Juli@ a PCI-card it's like night and day. On that card i get no lag whatsoever during playback. Neither with FLAC nor mp3.

Tried 1024 and 256 buffer size.

I also tried changing usb-ports and removing the other usb-accessories except the mouse, however the problem still persist.

Im using an Intel Q6600 quad processor and 8 gigs of ram and Windows 7 64-bit.

Anyone got any idea?

Thanks!

Reply #1
I've tested the Babyface with my friends system, a AMD Phenom II X4 965 and 8 gigs of ram. Same thing there. Changing tracks or scanning them resulted with the same high latencies no matter if it was a normal encoded mp3 or a 24-bit 192Khz encoded audio file. Setting the Buffer Size to 48 didn't help either.

It takes few microseconds to load the files or moving to another time index (another part of the track).

I have tested it with Ableton (ASIO) but i can't really measure the same thing there since the program doesn't play instantly when starting a track or seeking in it.

Reply #2
I've tested the Babyface with my friends system, a AMD Phenom II X4 965 and 8 gigs of ram. Same thing there. Changing tracks or scanning them resulted with the same high latencies no matter if it was a normal encoded mp3 or a 24-bit 192Khz encoded audio file. Setting the Buffer Size to 48 didn't help either.

It takes few microseconds to load the files or moving to another time index (another part of the track).

I have tested it with Ableton (ASIO) but i can't really measure the same thing there since the program doesn't play instantly when starting a track or seeking in it.

As not anyone have replied i am going to keep bumping this thread until anyone answers.

The people over at the RME forum has been more helpful

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=81268#p81268
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=81250#p81250

Reply #3
I am using the ASIO component plugin for foobar2000.
What is the reason DirectSound output does not work for you? In general it has a lot less problems.

Doesn't that rather suggest that the drivers for the Babyface are bad?

So it's on the order of 10^-6 to 10^-5 seconds, or, in other words, 1/1000000 to 1/100000 of a second?

As not anyone have replied i am going to keep bumping this thread until anyone answers.
Don't. That is detrimental to your cause.

The people over at the RME forum has been more helpful
Since the problem is likely on the RME side, you'd expect that.

Please try DirectSound output and see if it fixes your problems.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #4

That would really surprise me. RME are known to have probably the best drivers.

Reply #5

It's not clear to me whether the OP has access to or tested other audio players with ASIO support, that might shed more light onto that.

Reply #6

It's not clear to me whether the OP has access to or tested other audio players with ASIO support, that might shed more light onto that.

Well i have. I've tested with JRiver Media Center which as ASIO support. I've also tested with Ableton Live which also has ASIO support. None of them behave as bad as it does in foobar2000 when running the asio plugin.

I've tried to send a PM to the author of the ASIO plugin for foobar2000 but he has yet to respond.

Reply #7
The author is Peter, who is also the main developer of foobar2000. He will likely attack this problem when he finds the time. In the meantime, please try to use either DirectSound or WASAPI output to test whether this problem is foobar2000 or output method related.

Reply #8
The author is Peter, who is also the main developer of foobar2000. He will likely attack this problem when he finds the time. In the meantime, please try to use either DirectSound or WASAPI output to test whether this problem is foobar2000 or output method related.

Yes i know.

The WASAPI works much better. There's still lag but much less than the native ASIO drivers of my soundcard. However WASAPI is WASAPI and i still don't get the functionality as i get using the soundcards ASIO drivers.