Skip to main content

Topic: Bug: crashing when using search and garbage characters when updating t (Read 1199 times) previous topic - next topic

• xska
  • [*]
Bug: crashing when using search and garbage characters when updating t
Hi,

I've submitted about a dozen of different crash reports as the library search stopped working for me. I think it only started with 1.1.17, but I have tried going back to .16 and it did not help.

Another bug is that when I use RG scanner and then update tags it doesn't write the tags properly and puts garbage into track numbers, like this:

A few more things I have noticed: any tag update on MP3 files is broken (bad characters, etc); everything works fine for AAC-encoded files.

Before updating:

After:

Properties after:
  • Last Edit: 18 November, 2012, 07:02:34 AM by xska

• Peter
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #1
I've submitted about a dozen of different crash reports as the library search stopped working for me. I think it only started with 1.1.17, but I have tried going back to .16 and it did not help.
Tried making a completely clean foobar2000 install (eg. separate portable install) without thirdparty components? I've seen the reports already but they're not making a whole lot of sense, the code that crashes is in Windows DLLs, not in something that I have any power over; it's breaking while performing a trivial task of building a map of non-ASCII characters to their most similar ASCII equivalents (using WideCharToMultiByte).

Another bug is that when I use RG scanner and then update tags it doesn't write the tags properly and puts garbage into track numbers, like this

A few more things I have noticed: any tag update on MP3 files is broken (bad characters, etc); everything works fine for AAC-encoded files.
It would be very helpful if I could have a look at one of your files, before + after the bad tag update. [ hint: uploads forum ]

Finally: is there anything specific regarding your regional & code page settings in Windows control panel? Perhaps the two issues are in fact different symptoms of the same.
  • Last Edit: 19 November, 2012, 09:19:09 AM by Peter

• xska
  • [*]
Reply #2
I will try a clean install to see if it helps.

Here are my regional settings and [a href='index.php?showtopic=97951']here is the topic[/a] with with uploaded files (before and after update). Let me know if you need anything else.

• Last Edit: 19 November, 2012, 01:48:05 PM by xska

• xska
  • [*]
Reply #3
I did a fresh installation using portable mode option and into a separate directory but unfortunately it does the same with the track numbers whenever any MP3 file is updated
  • Last Edit: 19 November, 2012, 01:55:43 PM by xska

• Peter
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #4
FYI, upload topic hidden since I have the files, no reason to share them with anyone else.

Issue being investigated, thanks for the report.

• Peter
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #5
Have you installed any other software recently just before the issue appeared?

As far as I can tell, WideCharToMultiByte part of the Windows API is acting nonsensically on your system; either crashes or produces incorrect output (hence bad tags).

The crash report tracker says there's exactly one more user (one report logged last month) having this issue; so it's not just your system but it's something extremely obscure and it never triggered until recently - perhaps some third party app has something to do with it?

I can only recommend that you do not use foobar2000 until this issue is somehow resolved; various parts of foobar2000 codebase rely on this function and will produce incorrect output.

• mudlord
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer (Donating)
Reply #6
Also, do a virus scan.
Some viruses add DLLs into every process to do hooks like this.

• xska
  • [*]
Reply #7
Well, there was a bunch of Windows updates recently (last Tue) - that was just before the issue started happening. Also there was a QuickTime update as well. But other than that, nothing new installed.

I did a virus scan and malware scan - all clean.

I have also tried changing my locale to English-UK and to English-US but it did not help. The most strange thing is why does it work correctly for AAC files? What's the difference?

Another manifestation of this bug is that foo_dop stopped working correctly and is now unable to upload most of the files onto my iPod. That used to work fine too.

• Peter
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #8
WideCharToMultiByte is used for converting Unicode text to non-unicode (specific codepage), which is needed for specific ID3 tag fields. This is not needed for MP4/AAC tags where all the data is Unicode all the time.

• xska
  • [*]
Reply #9
I have managed to track this issue down to a corrupted NLS file at c:\windows\system32\C_20127.NLS (thank god for SysInternals tools!). Once I restored the file from original Win7 CD everything is back to normal. Many thanks for looking into this - I would not have been able to find the culprit broken file without your hints.

I have no idea how it got corrupted in the first place though. Also strange that no other applications use this code page, seems like only Foobar was affected.
  • Last Edit: 20 November, 2012, 06:12:11 PM by xska

• Peter
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #10
Good to know that it's fixed.

I guess few apps rely on WideCharToMultiByte this much, in fb2k it's needed essentially for the stuff that broke for you (ID3 tag handling + character remapping in search queries).
  • Last Edit: 30 November, 2012, 05:48:01 AM by Peter