Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Media Playback in Windows 8 (Read 4639 times) previous topic - next topic

Media Playback in Windows 8

Reply #1
Interface is only accessible from WinRT, for applications compiled for the Windows Store. Quick, someone design a Modern UI component for foobar2000 and include this interface.

Reply #2
hell no.

Reply #3
Why not? It shouldn't be too hard to implement..

If it's about your views on the OS then please, this is not the place to state your preferences. If it's a debate you want, we can have it in private because it would make the forum (and possibly you) look bad.

Reply #4
Implementing this sort of functionality is not easy, especially for a native application like foobar2000. A developer must learn how to work with the new Windows Runtime (WinRT, not to be confused with "Windows RT", which is the ARM version of Windows 8) and also requires a running installation of Windows 8. Oh yeah, and it requires a multimedia keyboard, since that user interface cannot be invoked without MM volume buttons.

I'd love to look into it, but I'd need the above mentioned multimedia keyboard. I already have the Windows 8, though. Really, the thing is, to implement this, I would need to make a new User Interface module from scratch. I've never even designed a simple UI, so this would be no small task.

Reply #5
Interface is only accessible from WinRT, for applications compiled for the Windows Store. Quick, someone design a Modern UI component for foobar2000 and include this interface.
A Modern UI component for a desktop application? I'm not familiar with WinRT but is that even possible?

Reply #6
Sure, why not? Chrome managed to do it, and I think I heard that Firefox has done it as well.

Reply #7
As far as i can remember i have read somewhere (not able to show source) that only browsers will be able to work in a hybrid mode. Each other app will either be a modern ui app or a desktop app.

Reply #8
At least Chrome isn't acting as a hybrid application. It has an option to relaunch itself either as a Modern UI or desktop application. Not much is different between the two, as the Modern UI acts almost like normal full screen mode, only without the ability to have pop-up windows.

Reply #9
Interesting, thanks for the info. I wonder if it would be possible to add this functionality via a component that extends a regular foobar2000 UI component (i.e. Default UI or Columns UI). If a full-blown UI component based on WinRT is required that would indeed be a boatload of work.

Reply #10
For anyone curious:

You can program Windows Store apps in C++. You can use WRL which looks a lot like programming COM with ATL. Or you use the compiler extension C++/CX which provides some syntactic niceties so that WinRT's COM-like components look like C++ classes (and vice versa). Some of WinRT's APIs are available to desktop apps like Foobar2000. Unfortunately, the MediaControl API for the cool Windows 8 integration is indeed Windows Store-only.

Someone could create a version of Foobar 2000 to run entirely as a Windows Store app, but that may be overkill. All that really is needed is a nice, generic UPNP controller app for the Windows Store that can communicate with foo_upnp. (I just searched the Windows Store and only saw a $5 app that may be a UPNP controller but also was a DLNA swiss army knife.) Some way to pick up Album Art since I'm not sure UPNP supports that (or at least between foo_upnp and my surround receiver there never seems to be album art).

Edit to add: I'm a managed code developer so my knowledge of C++ and WRL and C++/CX is purely academic, but it does align a lot with what I remember of COM development a million years ago.

Also, I meant to link to the API documentation: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wi...diacontrol.aspx (that's where you see the unfortunate fact that it isn't available to desktop apps for who knows what reason)