Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mp3 band limitation (Read 3394 times) previous topic - next topic

mp3 band limitation

Hi,

someone can tell me if in mp3 encoding there is a kind of band limitation ? I mean if the last Bark band is kept or not when meeting bitrates...
I thought in standard it is removed and in extrem, kept, but i'm not sure ...
Scatterbrain

mp3 band limitation

Reply #1
You can specify this by using the lowpass filter in LAME. If you are using MusicMatch Jukebox, you can change the lowpass filter in the recording options (untick "Let encoder choose").

Usually, MP3 encoders cut frequencies higher than 15-16 KHz. Anyway, an adult with good ears can hear tones up to ~ 16 KHz, while a baby can even hear up to 20 KHz. I (16 year old) can hear up to 17500 KHz.

mp3 band limitation

Reply #2
Usually, MP3 encoders cut frequencies higher than 15-16 KHz. I (16 year old) can hear up to 17500 KHz.

17500 ! you have golden ears

well thank you for your answer !
tschüß
Scatterbrain

mp3 band limitation

Reply #3
everyone's different, not to mention been through different experiences.  I'll be 32 in a couple months and I can hear 17KHz but not 18KHz, so my hearing probably drops off somewhere around 17.5KHz too.  Which surprises me, given the "abuse" I've put my ears through.  Insanely loud metal/rock concerts, pretty loud car stereos, etc etc.  I guess the tinnitus is more the result of that than the frequency response loss. (If in fact there has been any loss, I never tested myself when I was younger. I imagine there has been though, probably heard higher than that when I was younger.)

mp3 band limitation

Reply #5
All alt-preset settings from --standard on up preserve the highest frequencies to a certain extent--they do not try to encode all top frequencies all the time, but try to keep the most important parts.

MP3 does have an inherent limitation in that the frequencies above 16kHz tend to be encoded very inefficiently, so deciding how much of those frequencies to encode is an important tradeoff. You can force mp3 to encode all frequencies with the -k switch but this is not recommended especially when using the alt-presets as adding any extra switches would break the settings.

mp3 band limitation

Reply #6
I have a golden ear, maybe. I am deaf on one ear. Caused by a tumour  .

oh, i'm really sorry, no offense !
Scatterbrain