Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is there any differences between WASAPI and DS in windows 7 ? (Read 7096 times) previous topic - next topic

Is there any differences between WASAPI and DS in windows 7 ?

Hello. I'm Korean Middle School Student. 

I'm using Windows 7 service pack 1 now.
I heard that there is no difference between WASAPI and DS in windows 7 because both WASAPI and DS pass KMixer.

Please reply me what is the difference between WASAPI and DS.

※I'm using foobar2000 v1.1.15 beta 1, WASAPI component 3.0 beta 6, some other DSPs(noise sharpening, convolver, resampler(SSRC), bandpass, compressor), and SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio.

Reply #1
To quote the WASAPI component page: Adds Windows Audio Session API exclusive mode output support, allowing bit-exact output and muting all other sounds on Windows Vista systems. Windows Vista SP1 or newer required.
WASAPI can be useful if you need bit-perfect output to an external receiver, since compared to DirectSound it does not pass KMixer. This also means that you are unable to play any other sound on the device when you use WASAPI, because the OS will not mix audio anymore. I would not recommended to use WASAPI instead of DirectSound if you don't need either bit-perfect output or the muting of other sounds, since generally most devices don't support WASAPI as well as they support DirectSound (though I had no troubles with my Creative card).
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #2
That also depends on the device. For instance, ASUS Xonar series devices pass WASAPI, even exclusive mode, through the DSP and mixer. The only way to obtain unmodified exclusive sound output with those devices is to use ASIO.

Reply #3
To quote the WASAPI component page: Adds Windows Audio Session API exclusive mode output support, allowing bit-exact output and muting all other sounds on Windows Vista systems. Windows Vista SP1 or newer required.
WASAPI can be useful if you need bit-perfect output to an external receiver, since compared to DirectSound it does not pass KMixer. This also means that you are unable to play any other sound on the device when you use WASAPI, because the OS will not mix audio anymore. I would not recommended to use WASAPI instead of DirectSound if you don't need either bit-perfect output or the muting of other sounds, since generally most devices don't support WASAPI as well as they support DirectSound (though I had no troubles with my Creative card).

Thank you very much. Then can you explain differences between SoundBlaster card's Digital Audio Interface output and Speaker output?

Reply #4
That also depends on the device. For instance, ASUS Xonar series devices pass WASAPI, even exclusive mode, through the DSP and mixer. The only way to obtain unmodified exclusive sound output with those devices is to use ASIO.

Thank you very much. Now I will try ASIO output.

Reply #5
ASIO needs to be native (drivers), not the ASIO4ALL...