Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Title-formatting documentation: wiki version vs. bundled version (Read 2868 times) previous topic - next topic

Title-formatting documentation: wiki version vs. bundled version

Is it in the title-formatting guide that’s packaged with fb2k itself?

I’m more inclined to agree with Frank or whoever said before that it’s not worth the potential confusion to keep mirroring documents like this on the wiki.
Why exactly is it not preferable to have agreement between the online resources and the offline resources?
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #1
Ultimately, those in need of a reference are those with an installation foobar2000, which already comes with a copy that is more likely to be up-to-date. Having two copies seems pointless, really.

Parity between the two is of course preferable if there ‘must’ be two versions, but then the question becomes whether anyone can be bothered.

Reply #2
Ultimately, those in need of a reference are those with an installation foobar2000, which already comes with a copy that is more likely to be up-to-date. Having two copies seems pointless, really.

Parity between the two is of course preferable if there ‘must’ be two versions, but then the question becomes whether anyone can be bothered.
I always forget that a version of the title formatting reference help actually comes with foobar and do my searches on the web. It's a good thing too because the title formatting help that ships with foobar is dated 12/14/2009 and has a lot less information than the version in the wiki. e.g., the shipping help has this for $info: "Returns tech info field named X.    Example: $info(bitrate)" No mention of any other fields that $info works on so a user would have no idea how this stuff is supposed to work. There are simple usage examples like that for several of the fields/functions, but no discussion of what's actually returned like on the wiki. Honestly, it'd be a boon to users if the shipping title format help could be brought up to what's on the wiki, which we've already established is out of date. What we have now is barely better than nothing.

Reply #3
The title formatting reference within foobar is incomplete and unintuitive. It's fine if you're already familiar with title formatting and in need of a quick reference, but if you're new to foobar, the wiki page provides better examples and presents the title formatting it in a way that allows one to more readily comprehend how it actually works.

I'd be willing to wager that the title formatting reference page is one of the most visited pages in the wiki and that if it were removed, questions in the forums regarding title formatting would significantly increase.

Furthermore, having this as well as all other information pertaining to foobar freely available (i.e. without forcing someone to download and install) allows anyone contemplating using foobar to get a more complete picture of foobar's capabilities, thus allowing them to make a more informed choice.

Reply #4
Honestly, I thought (based on a possibly imagined recollection of someone having said this) the bundled guide was more up to date, and I would’ve presumed so either way. I apologise for not having verified this assumption, and thanks for correcting me.

And BenB, you make a very good point about other potential benefits of online documentation.

Reply #5
Honestly, I thought (based on a possibly imagined recollection of someone having said this) the bundled guide was more up to date, and I would’ve presumed so either way. I apologise for not having verified this assumption, and thanks for correcting me.

And BenB, you make a very good point about other potential benefits of online documentation.

I'm happy to help out with this if needed as I use the wiki quite a lot, but I'm guessing you guys aren't asking for volunteers.

Reply #7
for convenience, you can always use foo_run to create a toolbar button or keyboard shortcut to launch the wiki page in a browser directly from within foobar. i've done this for quite awhile now.

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_run

Reply #8
Can "we" enable nice urls in wiki? Then a simple wget command line is something that is left to the packager of the latest foobar (or automagically performed during install time), dunno like:

wget --mirror -p --convert-links --no-parent  ./docs http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/nice/urls/Foobar2000

(its always good to have the latest docs offline as well)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #9
Yes, it would be better both aesthetically and logistically to dispense with the mandatory inclusion of both “index.php” and the namespace “F[note 1]oobar2000”.

Reply #10
i did a quick look at my dokuwiki install, and it seems like things to do are:

- get the correct .htaccess file working (if apache)
- turn on nice urls
- turn on "use slash as namespace separator"

or do you expect any breakage?
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung