Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Playback error with some .flac files (Read 4381 times) previous topic - next topic

Playback error with some .flac files

Receiving this error when opening .flac files from an album. Error does not occur with other .flac files. I am fully updated to the most recent foobar. These .flac files open fine in both VLC and MPC-HC.

Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported format or corrupted file):
"C:\Music\Shiro Sagisu - Evangelion 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo (2013) [FLAC]\Disc 1 - 1 - 3EM01_EM20_Master.flac"

Reply #1
Both VLC and MPC-HC can play files that have incorrect extensions. You can easily verify which format the file is really in with MPC-HC by opening properties and checking the reported format under the MediaInfo tab. If it reports FLAC a sample would be most useful.

Reply #2
Both VLC and MPC-HC can play files that have incorrect extensions. You can easily verify which format the file is really in with MPC-HC by opening properties and checking the reported format under the MediaInfo tab. If it reports FLAC a sample would be most useful.

Sorry if its Off Topic but I'm facing a similar error.
I have many FLAC files encoded using Jet Audio which won't play in Foobar2000 but would play in Windows Media Player, VLC, Jet Audio, Media Player Classic etc.
Then I checked using mediainfo plug-in and the encoder is listed as
Code: [Select]
lib flac 1.3
while the the Foobar 2000 encoded files have
Code: [Select]
lib flac 1.2

Reply #3
I downloaded the freeware version of JetAudio and converted a WAV into FLAC with it. The resulting file plays back fine in foobar2000. Are we talking about the same program? this JetAudio uses FLAC 1.2.1 to encode.

Note: Reports about random files not working are useless without a sample.

Reply #4
I downloaded the freeware version of JetAudio and converted a WAV into FLAC with it. The resulting file plays back fine in foobar2000. Are we talking about the same program? this JetAudio uses FLAC 1.2.1 to encode.

Note: Reports about random files not working are useless without a sample.

My JetAudio uses "lib flac 1.3.0" and its not working with Foobar 2000 1.3.1 !
Unfortunately, I can't upload any file coz I have a very slow internet connection

Reply #6
I successfully decoded this file with command-line FLAC, but foobar2000 complains about the resulting WAV file:

Warning: Indicated RIFF size exceeds actual file size, file appears to be truncated
Warning: Malformed or truncated chunk found at 36 bytes, claimed length 17357760 bytes, truncated to 17344512 bytes

Reply #7
Thanks for the sample. Something about the file's cuesheet metadata block causes foobar2000 to reject it. If the block is removed with metaflac the file loads fine. Another issue is that Integrity Verifier says the reported length doesn't match the decoded output length.

xmarX: if it happens with all of your encodes you could make a short audio file with some audio editor or with for example foobar's tone generator. A few second file would be very tiny and you'd have no trouble uploading that to upload section.